Your opinion?

Discussion in 'M1911' started by KylarStern, Dec 27, 2010.

1. KylarStern

KylarStern XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok I'm looking to get my first 1911 it will be awhile before that happens but I want to be ready when the time comes. I want to get something relatively inexpensive so I can afford to do some custumization. I've narrowed it down to two (but suggestions are welcome) the Springfield GI or STI Spartan if you could only have one (which this will probably be my only one) which would be your choice?

2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Can't speak to the Spartan but if you go Springfield you should spring for the extra $50-$75 for the Milspec. The lowered and flared ejection port and upgraded sights are well worth the extra $ and it's a whole lot cheaper than paying someone to do it later.

That all said, be aware that you will spend a while lot more upgrading a pistol than if you buy the upgraded models unless you can do a lot of the work yourself. By the time I was done, my GI ran just under $2k when I could bought a Loaded model for $850, TRP for $1400, or gone Custom Shop. I know that many want the satisfaction of making the gun yours which is fine as long as you know that you will spend more in the end.

3. Spydered

Spydered XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got the loaded versions both in 4" & 5" and am very happy with them...Changing grips and that's it...:)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  4. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    depending on your budget. sti spartan is awesome, S&W with titanium firing pin (very important) is 800.

want to go less expensive an have a nice shooter to upgrade later? citadel 460 or so. shoot it a bit if any metal shavings appear get a smith to tweak it when he installs a fusion firing control group (95 bucks probably 80 to install if you get a utilitarian smith) and your golden with g10 grips. But you can shoot it right out of the box and in truth its not bad. The new remington people are saying is great but I know nothing about it, never shot one.

IMO those are the best 3 options right now for under 1200

Things to know most mags that come with 1911s suck, wilson combat/cmc solve most malfunctions. Grease on the rails is sweetness. (well anything works except CLP it does not belong on a 1911)

5. VinnAY

VinnAY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll echo everything above...I did the same with my GI...way more in to it in upgrades than it's worth. But I LEARNED ALOT about it along the way and can do some minor work myself.

But one thing that most people don't quite talk about in relation to Springfields customer service which does seem to be phenomenal, is that you'll probably need it.

6. devildog66

devildog66 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Regardless of which 1911 style you choose I would stick to the SA brand. The customer service factor is a big one and when one looks at the base models that many top gunsmiths choose - SA. The STI pistols are great shooters but most models have unique features that do not share stock parts with other pistols. Kimber has followed this path as well for many of their models. The Spartan is just that but I pick the SA over a Spartan simply due to the SA customer service and the SA is so much more widely available.

7. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can't go wrong with either but I agree and stepping up to the milspec model if you go SA.

8. ETexPops

ETexPops XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My vote would be for the RIA Match model; around $560 or so. Then what do I know; I have 3 1911's-2 in .45 and 1 in 9mm. Only changes made on any are sights to help my old eyes. Must have really gotten lucky since all three perform flawlessly and if they ain't broke I ain't gonna fix 'em.

9. mattwestm

mattwestm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love all of my Rock Island Armory 1911s!

10. VR4

VR4 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Between the GI and Spartan. Spartan hands down. I would even put it up against the Mil-spec IMO.

11. JoeOU1

JoeOU1 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Both can be customized later on down the road. But, for the time being, you'll be happier with the Spartan over the GI or the Mil-Spec. WAY better sights and better features.

12. scooterj

scooterj XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Spartan, hands down. No mods needed.

13. kaizenboi

kaizenboi XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +113 / 0
    Since you're asking for our opinion, I would lean towards a Spartan.