Springfield XD Forum banner

XDTalk.com November Giveaway - Tell us about your XD!

7K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  WantBigBoom 
#1 ·
Product Drinkware Mug Tableware Cup

It's time to kick off the second half of our XDTalk.com November Giveaway! Today we are giving away a package of Springfield goodies that include a Cross Cannon Shield Hat, Cross Cannon Black Stainless Mug, Cross (2) Cannon Shot Glasses, and a Cross Cannon Zippo Lighter.

As always entry is quick and simple. Just let us know in this thread what Springfield Armory firearm you own and why you chose it. Bonus points will be awarded for those that include a photo!

We will leave this thread open for one week and pick a winner based on the most insightful response.

The winner will be announced Monday December 1, 2014. Good luck!

See less See more
#2 ·
My 1st XD was an XDsc9. I chose it because my Wife got the XD-Service for Home defense and I wanted something smaller for EDC.
After about a Year or so, when the XDMc9 came out, I traded the sc for it. I feel the XDMc is nicely contoured for carry, as well as using for 'Practical Shooting' matches.

I got a chance to shoot the new Mod2 the other day. If I wasn't so pleased with my XDMc9, I'd be considering the Mod2, in spite of the 'Grip Zone' lettering.

#3 ·
-EDIT- I guess I spoke too soon lol. Congrats to the winner of part 1

My first and only XD is an XD9SC. I chose it for a number of options - first and most importantly, it's made by a company that stands behind their product. Secondly, I believe the XD subcompact series is one of the best crosses between full-size capacity and small size concealability. With an extra mag, I can carry 30 rounds of high performance JHP's comfortably and discreetly in a number of different situations.

My XD has only failed a couple times due to poor ammo and poor technique through nearly 3,000 rounds of factory ammo and reloads. The gun has worn very well thus far. It obviously wears a some grip tape, a trimmed Hogue sleeve, and some bits are polished, but internally it's an XD through and through.

"This is my pistol. There are my like it, but this one is mine."

#4 · (Edited)
I don't have a xd pistol but use to have a xds. I got a 1911 loaded sa in stainless and love it. Would rather have a .45 any day over the 9mm but that's just me. The reason I chose the 1911 is because of the thin slide, hammer fired, fun to shoot and accurate. It's my edc gun and wouldn't give it up. I may have a limited supply (2 mags on hand and one in the chamber) but I practice enough to know what I can do with it. Love the looks of the stainless, don't have to worry about rust as much as compared to a regular finish slide and is multipurpose. I have carried it for over a year, the finish has wore off some from the holster but over all, has held up well. Have put over 1500 rounds down range and have only had 2 misfires and 1 failure to feed. Very reliable and dependable.

Attachments

#6 ·
I have two Springfield XD pistols, an XDsc .40 and an XDs 3.3 9mm. These are my edc carry guns. I purchased my XDsc first and carried it IWB and OWB. I later purchased my XDs because of my famarility with the XD platform and because I wanted something slimmer for IWB carry. Both guns have rubber grip tape and a modified Pierce grip extension on the compact mags. I carry 180 grain Federal HSTs in my .40 and 115 grain Hornady XTPs in my 9mm.

#7 ·
I'm currently on numbers 2 and 3 of my Springfield pistols. I've loved each one. I started off with a XDsc 9mm. Traded that for an older compact 1911 which is my EDC while I wait on my Alien Gear Holster for my XDs 9mm which I bought about 6 weeks ago. Never had a single problem with any of these pistols, even shooting aluminum cased cheap ammo.

#8 · (Edited)
My first XD was a 4" 40 S&W Service size. I bought it because my brother had one, and i looked up to him quite a bit. He also traded off for something else and had some leftover upgrade parts that i gladly took off his hands. When my Father started to get into handguns heavilly, he and I did quite a bit of shooting and it accelerated to unreal amounts of ammo, and loading to two calibers was not only painfully time consuming (because 40 brass nests inside 45 ACP brass) but I was the only person in the family who was shooting 40 s&w. I was THAT GUY. So when i heard SA was introducing a 45ACP XD, i knew it was time. I traded it off for the new 45 ACP 4" Service and said goodbye to all my 40 brass. I've had my 45 ever since and it has never let me down, and really it should have. i've beat the crap out of this thing and it just keep on going. For example when i didn't have a hammer, i used my XD. I've disassembled, misassembled, reassembled, neglected to clean, neglected to lube, drilled out, pounded up, tossed, dropped, soaked, muddied, and God knows what else and it just. keeps. working. Truly an AK of handguns.

I will never get rid of this gun for as long as I live.

Attachments

#9 ·
I got caught up in the XD hype a few years ago, bought and even customized these;

First was an XD-9 service.

Then an XD-40 service I never took a pic of.
Then an XD-9 SC that I put a lot of work into, hard chrome, sights, etc..

Then an XD-45 compact, did a little polishing on..

Then an XDs in 45ACP..

But I've since sold or traded off every one of them and replaced them with Glocks...

#11 ·

I started out with an XDM 3.8 compact 9mm. Of all the pistols I tried after Sandy Hook, I shot the XDM the best, and it seemed to have a good trigger. With the threat of another AWB, I wanted something with large mag capacity. 19+1 extended mag fit the bill. I searched high and low for them. My wife even made calls. Everything on the wet side of Washington was bone dry. Found one on the other side of the mountain pass (even in bi-tone!). My wife and I drove over snoqualmie pass to get it in the middle of winter (albeit a bit closer to MSRP than it should have been). It shoots great.

A few months later I got the XDS (only in 45 then). Also shot it amazingly well for a 45, but after deciding I'm a capacity whore, I picked up a Gen 4 Glock 19 since it carries two more than my XDM and not much more weight than the XDS. Finally sold the XDS and picked up a G17L and a Gen 2 Glock 19. Now I search for a new single stack 9.

I keep the XDM because that bi tone is so darn good looking. Even after leaving it in the safe for 6 months, I can just pick it up and shoot it well. It also has the best story of the bunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I guess I'll go the opposite direction and post my unpolished, not-to-pretty, but nonetheless very important to me XDs .45 ACP, as seen in the setting South Texas sun:

Gun Trigger Handgun holster Starting pistol Gun accessory

It's used, is worn in spots, and has just enough oil to make sure that it will work the way I need it to when I need it. I hope that I never have to use it, but if I do, I know it will work. I trust it completely, and it has never failed to function, no matter what I feed it. I consider my XDs to be the "buddy" that also happens to be the ultimate security blanket. We spend a lot of time together, standing watch over myself and my loved ones. Yeah, there are a lot of EDC weapons out there, but I prefer my XDs. It's safe, reliable, and is readily and comfortably concealed...which means I wear it more. In the end, it's a great piece to own, and I'm glad it's my EDC.

#13 ·
I purchased my one and currently only Springfield (an XD-40 Service) in 2010. It's been on my right hip 8.5 hours a day (sometimes more) since it had proved itself tough enough to be my duty weapon. I have only had one malfunction with this gun, and I'm positive it was a bad primer/round. Never another issue. It runs and runs and runs and I've never had a reason to doubt it. The addition of Trijicon HD sights and a TLR-1 made this my ideal duty weapon.

I've only experienced what could have been a negligent discharge once (with any brand of firearm), and the XD's safety features saved me from a Glock-leg. [emoji6]
While reholstering my firearm during a night-time winter range session, my jacket zipper-pull got stuck inside my trigger guard and pulled down into my holster. The combination of the grip safety and my holstering habit of sliding my thumb over the back of the slide (releasing the grip safety) saved me some blood loss.

Two years ago I discovered that I shoot DAO very well. Based on that discovery I'd been planning to change my duty weapon to a Sig P226 DAK. Unfortunately, it doesn't feel as good in the hand, the safety features don't compare, and after holding one it just doesn't appeal to me as much anymore. It's tough to improve on my range qualification scores and the personal comfort level I've grown into with this firearm.

My Xtreme Duty weapon;

Reactions: Nacho Man
#14 ·
My insightful response? I have always been a big fan of another gun manufacturer so I waited for 2 years for them to make a compact .45 acp. They didn't and still haven't. So this year I got tired of waiting and bought a Springfield XDs. I could not be happier. I have found the fit, finish, operation, and accuracy to be as advertised, great. It is everything that I wanted in a .45 acp. carry gun. Now, I am a Springfield guy.

#15 ·
My very first pistol was a XD40sc, Bi-tone. I then went on a trading spree, ended up with a very nice XD45 service, then a XD45 compact (also very nice, and still one of my all time favorite). Then I went to Glock for a good year. Still am a Glock fan boy but I rented a XDm 4.5 45acp and was so impressed I traded my last Glock for a XDm 3.8 compact 45acp. I also traded and added cash to get a XDS45.

I truly believe that the XD/XDm is just as good as any Glock pistol out there. I do prefer the trigger on the XD/XDm over the Glock which makes me more accurate with them over a Glock.

My next pistol will most likely be a 4.5 in 45acp.

#18 ·
Currently have (3) versions of the XD all in 40 S&W.

A full size XD40-Service, XDc & XDsc. The XDsc used for CC the others of home protection.

Rotate each when I go to the range and have no failures in over 1300 rounds through each to date.

Each built like a tank with the ability and confidence to save and protect my life and others when & where needed.

#23 ·
I picked up the XDs 3.3 9mm since I really loved the way it felt in my hands. It was extremely well balanced compared to others I tried plus it looks good too! After I shot it I knew it was the gun for me. Love at first sight? I guess you could say that... Girls can have their toys too. ;)

#24 · (Edited)
When I bought my first XD I was shopping for a 1911-style .45 because I wanted a gun with a grip safety. When I made my request at one shop, I was asked if I'd seen the XDs, and one was placed in my hands. It grabbed me, and I haven't regretted my decision. In fact, I've added the XDm 5.25" .45, as well as XDm 9’s in 3.8" C and 5.25". All of the XDm's have >1,000 rounds each through them. The XDs is probably at 6-700. (The .45s eat everything I feed them, but the 9’s don't care for the Tulammo steel.)

#25 · (Edited)
I bought my XD 9 Service in late summer of 2004. I have owned many many handguns in the past and have never held on to many of them. CZs, Brownings, FNs, Rugers, Stars, Daewoo, S&Ws....I got them at great prices and liked them for a while. There was always something I wanted to change with them. I was looking for a Steyr M when I came across this XD. I held both and the XD felt better for me. Both were the same price. I bought both and came home. the next day I went shooting. The Steyr went back. this XD has been with me ever since. The finish went to crap so I cold blued it. It has been through 2 motorcycle wrecks, one divorce, spelunking, offshore fishing, and white water rafting. It has been everywhere I have been. It has never let me down. The only changes i have ever made were adding Tru Glo red/green day sights and a recoil spring and Don's op rod and bushing from Pistol Gear. I can't even begin to say how many rounds it has through it. Other then a KelTec P11 I just picked up to replace a PA63 that I wore slam out. The XD is the last 9mm I have bought. It goes with me everywhere. It has taught my twin boys how to shoot as well as some friends. It is my daily CCW. Everyone tries to tell me I need a new pistol. The wear marks and minor blemishes it has match me and can tell some stories.....It has proven itself to me and like my trusty AKs, I have and will continue to bet my life on it.

#26 ·
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory
As a recently minted US Citizen, I'm proud to be able to exercise the rights afforded under the Constitution. This past week my CPL arrived and as soon as holster arrives I fully intend to carry... consistently and responsibly. As a young officer with the CDN Forces I was exposed to the 45 acp round and the XDs offers a wonderful frame dimension for active people... function/reliability has been stellar. Well executed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.