XDS with crown damage from factory?

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by JJM, Dec 15, 2012.

1. JJM

JJM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently bought an xds and I noticed that between the crown and the rifling there is a grind mark or a small shaving there, I have read forums that said that any damage to the crown will cause accuracy issues, the gun seems to group to the left no matter how I adjust the sights. This is a new gun and I've only taken it out two times to the range and shot 230 grain CCI bullets through it. I thought that maybe it was me that may be pulling the trigger wrong causing it to shoot to the left until I shot my s&m m&p 45 compact which was right on. I sent the gun in to Springfield and they told me that they didn't see a problem with the gun and that they got the gun to make one inch groups at 21 feet without adjusting the sights. They didn't mention that it shoots to the left at all even though I mentioned that in the included letter I sent with it. I put around 300 rounds thru it with many jams as well. Do you think it's just me not being use to the gun with bad trigger pulls and limp wristing, or do you think it's the gun? Tues I should be getting the gun back from them, I'm going to try testing it again. I'll let you know the results.

2. cmfarmer53

cmfarmer53 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    it might be no (no offense) i know when i first got my glock, i was shooting all over the target and thought it was me, and i could shoot my m&p 9c with 1 inch groups at 15 yards..i kept practicing and practicing and finally could shoot my glock the same as my m&p 9c....just keep training with it, its a small 45 gun...if it makes you feel any better and you think its the gun, take it to your local gunshop and have them look at it.

3. JJM

JJM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No offense taken, I do need your advice and you may be right the gun does feel strange to me because of its size. What do you think of the shaving or small grinding marks on the crown?

4. cmfarmer53

cmfarmer53 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    is the shaving on the outside, lip or inside of it? a picture would be worth a thousand words and will aid in other people helping as well.

post a pic and then i can better try to help you best i can. i am no gun expert tho but i do enjoy helping when i can because i know ill need help one day too!

5. JJM

JJM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's inside it touches the rifling and crown, the little corner that is usually there is flattened. The other side is normal, when I get my gun back tues I'll post a picture. I have lots of guns and have never seen this before. There are actual small grind marks that can be seen.

6. cmfarmer53

cmfarmer53 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If its touching the rifling or you believe it is and sa didn't see it I would take to a local gun shop for them to confirm that and call sa again

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

7. r1derbike

r1derbike XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd certainly call. They may want the whole gun shipped instead of just the barrel. Odd that the crown appears damaged, but anything may happen, I suppose?

Good luck! It really is a nice gun.

8. ajamesp51

ajamesp51 Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Your going to have to post a good picture.

9. Trotgolfer

Trotgolfer XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG]

10. DWHAM

DWHAM XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My XDs also shoots to the left and low. After 6 trips to the range the grouping is getting higher and more to the right. I even got 2 bulleyes last trip. I know it is me. I'm used to 1911s and this is a different critter. Kicks a lot more too!

11. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's definitely you. You sent it in. SA was getting good groups with it. and said there was nothing wrong.

Try having someone else shoot it.

Also try putting more finger on the trigger. Like to the first knuckle. And grip harder with your support hand.

Lots of people have the lefts and low lefts on XD pistols.

I did and thats how I corrected it. With both the grip and more finger on the trigger.

Just the other day. My brother was shooting right with hid Bersa. And he thought it was the gun.

I shot it and it was dead on. So I told him put less finger on the trigger after watching him shoot it. It centered him back up.

12. JJM

JJM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I should be getting the gun hopefully today or tomorrow, also this is my first time using forums how do you go about post pictures? It just asks for a link to somewhere that the picture is located, is there a special website that holds the pics for you? :confused:

13. Derek79

Derek79 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Put a laser on it, you will find the problem. That's what I did to confirm it was me. I traded a USP40 that I had no trouble shooting. The XDs? I was low and left by 4"!!!

14. Derek79

Derek79 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use photobucket.

15. JJM

JJM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I got my gun back. When I talked to them on the phone they claimed that there was nothing wrong with the gun, neither on the barrel nor the shooting. I examined the barrel and there was no sign of the grind on the barrel crown it was perfect. I guess the person that called me lied or didn't know that the barrel had been fixed, I don't know if they reamed or the barrel or just replaced it, but It appeared that they shot the heck out of it because the barrel was really dirty for only 5 shots fired from it. They sent a target with a really nice and tight group from 7 yards. In either case I'm happy and I guess that's all that matters. Sorry there is no picture to post of the original damage, originally I had shown my wife the barrel before I sent it off and she thought the damage was really noticeably visible and when she saw the barrel when I got back she said it looked new like it never had any damage to it. I find this all strange but like I said I'm happy with the outcome and thank you all for your input and shooting help. This weekend I'm going to take it to the range, I'll post the outcome for you all.

16. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like either way they took good care if you.

Shoot it and report back.

17. JJM

JJM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hope I dont have anymore problems but I have been looking at youtube and found that people are having lots of issues with the XDS. Here is one or many videos. w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzyxyc2vymY]Springfield XDS Problems - YouTube My recoil spring is doing the same thing as this guys, I took my gun to the range only 2 times and the springs all marked up like the guy"s in this video. Tell me what you think.

18. JJM

JJM XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know if any of you have looked at any of the youtube video of people that are having problems with their MDs, a lot of people are having wear on the recoil spring on the back part that touches the barrel. After taking my gun to the range twice before I sent in the gun I noticed when I got my gun back from springfield that there is considerable wear on the back of my spring as well. How are the springs on your XDs? I wanted to post a link to the video but I don't have enough posts on this forum and it won't allow to post a link. I'll try to post the link again on a different post.

19. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What do you mean by wear?

Is it just the finish coming off?

They are treated for rust prevention. . They really don't have a finish per say.

So the more you shoot it, it will show signs of wear it rubs against the barrel.

It doesn't effect spring tension.

20. cmfarmer53

cmfarmer53 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well at least they replaced the barrel lol have fun shooting it and let us know

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2