XDs vs. Walther PPS

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by lamerem, Oct 2, 2012.

1. lamerem

lamerem XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Off to the LGS today I went to put hands on the PPS! I must say, super disappointed. The gun is amazing, but that afterthought mag release has tainted it. I will never own the PPS! Guess ill wait for the XDs to be a little more readily available.

2. CheaperThanDirt

CheaperThanDirt Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The mag release isn't an afterthought. It's a continuation of a design that's been used for about 20 years.

It's much easier to use with your trigger finger and you won't change your grip on the gun as you do, unlike most thumb releases where your hand arches off the grip to press the release. Once you practice with it, it's equal to any thumb release, if not easier. And it's still right where you expect a thumb release so if you move your thumb there, you just press down instead of in.

3. Chadwick

Chadwick XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to laugh as I have owned both the PPS and the XDS, I got rid of the XDS. The mag release I prefer and I have since sold my XD.45 and got rid of my G26 and have only my Walther PPS and PPQ. The XDS was ok but my PPS is so much more controlable and its been magnificent. The price is higher and mags are more expensive but it is what it is I guess.

Don't be scared of change (mag release) as I took it on and now prefer it over the thumb release. Most report they end up being faster and like the fact that it forces you to take your finger off the trigger during mag changes. I'd bet you'd like it if you bought it and tried it out.

4. bloodsport

bloodsport XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ive had a ppq (wish i wouldnt of sold it) and now have an xds. i prefer the walther mag release. the xds is fine with me tho. i love my xds 45. just need to get me a 7rd magazine!

5. Gealousy

Gealousy XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The PPS may be functional but I do not find them attractive which, for me, is important. Some people don't care as long as its functional which I get but... The XDS had the looks in the family IMO.

- Gealousy

6. Minkman555

Minkman555 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +300 / 135
    Wow , I actually don't own a PPS (didn't even know of them until a week ago) but I think they look amazing ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. Bigboomlittlegun

Bigboomlittlegun XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on the PPS. One of the most underrated CCW pieces out there. I've daily'd mine for over 2 years and still find it to be more reliable and carryable than my new XDS even though my original intent was to replace the PPS with the XDS. The XDS has had a few questionable moments, and the Walther has run FLAWLESSLY since the break in. Yes the system is a little different, but as another member said, it's nothing new in the Walther family line of pistols, and easy to get used to once you train with it(You DO train with your CCW don't you???). My P22 uses the exact same mag release. One might even be able to say the P22 makes a great "trainer" gun for the PPS. In all honesty, the trigger and reset on the Walther and XDS is nearly identical. Same type of reset and all. For the record, I have had the 9mm since it came out pretty much. At release, the .40 was looking iffy on reliability and return trips to the factory so I passed. Did I mention I love the damn thing? You'd think Walther was paying me. Oh, FYI, Walther in the USA is serviced by S&W if you need repairs. Sent my P22 back once for some fluffing. Only downside: Things may have changed, but when I got mine, it only came with one mag, which was disappointing for the price, and extra mags are some of the most expensive I've seen(over 50 bucks). I think Sig Sauer and Walther are currently locked in a contest to see who can charge the most for extra mags. My P238 only came with one mag as well, with replacements being over 50 bucks. I tried a Sig p238 promag with a plastic follower which was trash. Fortunately my LGS was cool and gave me 100% refund. I have heard promag fixed the problem with steel followers, but buyer beware. Normally I avoid promag, but the temptation to get it at less than half price was too great. Never bothered getting an extra mag for the PPS. Not worth the money to me.

8. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 5
    Ugh, first, don't use Promags for anything other than doorstops, second S&W and Walther are splitting, don't know how they will handle guns sold under the merger but all Walthers will probobly go to Walther for service ( probobly always have).

Love that style mag release on my P22 and HK.

9. Whitebrad25

Whitebrad25 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Big +1. Most of the people who spend time actuating and using them prefer them. I do.

10. Whitebrad25

Whitebrad25 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

They are. I have been carrying mine the past 8 months and it just gets boring how easy they are to conceal IWB. I bought a few holsters for the G22 and finally found a combo that works great. I will carry the Glock in colder weather and the PPS forever elsewhere. Over 3,000 rounds and no trouble through mine.

11. Bigboomlittlegun

Bigboomlittlegun XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had a few promags that saved me a lot of money over the factory mags and were great for using at the range. I could probably help you save money on doorstops if you're interested.

Perhaps they will go to Walther in the future, but for now, and for quite some time, they have been serviced by S&W in Springfield, MA. I own multiple Walthers, and have used the S&W customer service center. Customer Support - Walther America

12. lamerem

lamerem XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is a sexy gun don't get me wrong. But I am a creature of habit and trying to retrain to use that release (let alone trying to retrain the wife) is not really an option. I am a SA lover as there facility is only 30 minutes from me (yes I know the guns are imported from Croatia) but repairs go to Geneseo, IL. This makes for a speedy recovery.

As another poster said use your trigger finger. I tried every position while handling it and I still had to reposition my grip to do it. Maybe I can get used to it, but why when there is another viable option that works for me. I am not hating on the PPS, it's just not for me. But it's a sweet and sexy gun no doubt.

13. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 1
    Another vote for the PPS. Is larger than the XDS, and who really cares about looks when it comes to function.

There is a "training curve" with the mag. release, but if not for you, is certainly understandable. I had to warm up to it too.

14. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +386 / 4
    Longer than that, even--the H&K P7Mxx pistols all used a paddle-style release, and have been around since the early 1980's.

I prefer them to a button-style release, by far.

15. WesternHaikus1

WesternHaikus1 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you allow the XDs the same amount of "break in" time?