XDS recalled, sig 938 been back 3 times. I bought a 2013 mustang CT

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by SquirrelSlayer, Oct 4, 2013.

1. SquirrelSlayer

SquirrelSlayer XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    not the car.... a Colt... My very first Colt.. My Xds45 is in recall limbo and after many problems with my 938 and horrible customer service from sig after three trips back, I sold it and bought the one I wanted from the getgo. I only bought the 938 as it was 9mm and wanted to stick with calibers I already had....lesson learned. Colt Mustang pocketlite 380

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here she is with an old Beretta 950BS (.22short) for size reference.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. SquirrelSlayer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    She fits in well with the others... I just put another small used 1911 style plinker in layaway at a small old LGS.. it will round out my caliber selection in 1911's. I got home with enough daylight to run 6 mags through it. (2 six and 1 7 round mag). Recoil is absolutely non existent and truly a pleasure to shoot. I LIKE it, I LIKE IT A LOT. I may paint the front sight blade for quick transitions, but I want to put some more rounds through it and get used to carrying it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +216 / 4
    I've been going back and forth between one of these and a 238; the only thing making go towards the Sig is better sights.

What were the issues with your 238, and was SIG able to finally resolve them?

Then again, that Pony is just so much nicer looking...

4. Jbehredt

Jbehredt XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Filler her up with some hot underwood 102gr and she'll get the job done nicely:)

5. SquirrelSlayer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Sorry, it was a 938, not a 238. Can't change the title now.. As I understand it the guy that designed the colt mustang pocket lite back in the 90's now works for sig. It is a direct copy. You can use colt mags in the sig, or put sig grips on the colt..

My issues were as follows.... I bought it in April and as a later production that should have had the updated parts as it had problems in the beginning..

First extractor broke around 150 rounds... Sent it back. Got it back and put 200 more rounds through it until the firing pin broke. Sent it back... Another extractor broke. After that and sending it back I decided it was time to go when I got it back. You shouldn't have to worry about something not working when it matters, not to mention the price of it...

The thing that really pissed me off from day one... Rack the slide with a full mag, then drop the mag to top it off.. It would strip the top two rounds every time. Sometimes three rounds. Every time it went back to sig I wrote a detailed letter.. Sig would not acknowledge the known issues. They said "it didn't impede the function of the firearm and is completely normal"

I tried to like it. I'm a 1911 junkie. I loved the sights on it, but the issues I had and the money I spent and sig not wanting to do anything about it did it for me. I almost bought the colt to begin with, but didn't because it was 380.

I've had the colt about a month now. It's got 450 round through it. No issues and its a pleasure to shoot. Not near as snappy a the 938 was.

6. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 4
    Ah, cool. I know 238's had a recall when they first came out, but it had been a while since I'd heard of any major issues with them.

I'd considered a 938, but it's a little bigger than what I want--and that is, something that will replace the 1917-built Colt 1908 .25 I will carry when I just plain have to pocket carry.

7. CarlWinslo

CarlWinslo XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Doesn't this violate intellectual property laws?

8. SquirrelSlayer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It pissed me off so bad that sold my sig 522. I'll probably never own another sig product again.

9. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 4
    Nope.

Patent expired on the Colt.

10. SquirrelSlayer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Gotcha, my minx was my pocket carry.. But as a 22 short.....

Anyways, the colt is a better pocket carry IMO. The slide is a lot thinner and more rounded. It's was meant for pocket carry. The sig slide had a much thicker and square off slide that makes its hangup from a pocket draw.

The sites on the sig were night sites and better, but you gotta figure you won't be target practicing at 100 yards after midnight with it...

The sites on the colt are low profile and standard GI style if you're familiar with 1911's. it's quite accurate to 30 yards. Haven't shot it any further than that yet.

11. DevJames

DevJames XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 5
    God the colt looks so much better than the sigs....but yeah, what the hell Colt? Put decent sights on what you know you're selling for concealed carry.

12. SquirrelSlayer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I don't mind the sights at all. it goes with my other 1911's and it is meant to be minimized for easy snag free draw from a pocket or holster. I dig it, it is accurate for what it is. It is a pocket sized defensive gun. It isn't a 100 yard at night target pistol.

13. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Owned a Sig P238 that had to go back to Sig to be rebuilt on the inside with their newer production parts. Bought used, Sig accepted return for reliability issues. Gun came back still unreliable in test fire. Traded Sig. Sold gun I traded for.

Wife bought me a new production Colt Mustang for fathers day. It's back at the factory because the barrel was chipped in the lands and grooves from a bad reamer during production. It was a a great shooter, but terrible sights. If it comes back and I can ever manage to find more .380 in my lifetime then we'll see if its still worthy.

14. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    [​IMG]

I dunno... I think the SiGlet looks ok.

15. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    I shot one of the 938's when they first came out because another club member had one. Jam-o-matic.

I'd buy a newer production 238 again if I could verify that they serial number is newer and not older production, possibly with older parts.

Then again, .380 and 9mm around these parts hardly exist.