XDs recall and custom shop work...

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by bigoo7e, Aug 30, 2013.

1. bigoo7e

bigoo7e XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello, I am new around here but I wanted to ask if anyone else had this experience with SA. I called and got my RMA request and shipping label. While I was on the phone with the CSR I asked her if it was possible while my gun was in their possession that if the custom shop could install some night sights on the gun for me once my gun had the recalled parts replaced. I was told by her that wouldn't be possible. I thanked her for her time and completed my RMA request. After I got off of the phone it kinda bugged me that they seemed to refuse to put sights on my gun. I am not asking them to pay for it, I just wanted new sights on my dime. So I called back and talked to Ben in customer service and basically in a nut shell got the same response and said there was nothing that he could do and the gun has to be shipped back to the owner once the gun has been fixed and checked out by their techs. Just wanted to see if anyone else has been told this? I find it silly to have the gun shipped back to me, just to have it shipped back to get sights put on it... seems like a huge waste of time.

Thanks for everyones time in advance, have a great day.

Peace,
    Evan

2. bigoo7e

bigoo7e XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bump

3. Fitch

Fitch XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think they have nearly a quarter million guns coming in for the recall. They need to be processed very efficiently and sent back on their way. They will have a process set up for the recall that's like a production line with everything happening in lock step. They need to be careful to make sure they do what's required on the returned guns, track them carefully, and make sure the right gun is sent back to exactly where it needs to be delivered. Making a mistake gets them in all sorts of trouble.

Singling a particular gun out for special treatment just isn't going to happen in that environment. And I don't think that's unfair either.

After you get it back, make arrangements to send it in for the sights. Or send it to someplace else, or install them your self.

They are paying the freight to fix the problem that's their responsibility as efficiently as they can to keep cost down.

I think they are doing just fine.

Fitch

4. GFRanger

GFRanger XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fitch -- well said. It would be hard to flag one pistol to go from the recall over to the custom shop. Doing this could slow down progress on repairs and confuse return of someones pistol (maybe mine)

5. JamesL

JamesL XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    they can't get the recall right so you sure you want them doing other work on your gun?

6. adamsalan

adamsalan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I asked for a new trigger job, sights and a new barrel. I too was told no. How rude...

7. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BLUF: Make it happen SA!

If the owner(s) of a SA firearm currently under recall is wanting to not only keep the repaired firearm but also PAY for a custom job, I would advise SA to figure out how to make that happen. I don't care what it takes to figure it out... make it happen. If I were "King of Springfield", even if it caused great pain and a lot of money, that is the way you make people trust in your company again.

As a long time SA customer that has been let down with this recall I could care less about excuses about why custom work can't/shouldn't be done during this recall ... Make it happen or lose my business. It should be as painful on SA as it is on Joe six pack that only had enough money for one gun and decided to purchase an XD-S (that is now in recall for an unknown amount of weeks leaving him unarmed and unable to protect him and his loved ones). Figure it out SA!

8. dwg13013

dwg13013 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can see sending a gun back for trigger work or such. Sights can easily be done locally.
    The range I shoot at will sell them at a real good price and install what the sell no charge.

Springfield is getting a massive number of guns in all at once, and the owners are anxious to get them back. As one waiting, I don't want someone else getting extra work done slowing mine down. Once the flood is caught up, they will likely have no problem doing extra work.
    As a buyer in the first year I am not surprised by the recall, and have no issue with it. Had I waited two years I would have a completely different view of it.

9. Gladi8tor

Gladi8tor XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Call me Joe Six Pack cause that's the situation I am in. I finally got enough money together to buy a gun and after all the hype from my friends I decided to buy the XDs .45, take it out to the range and put 500 rounds through it and love the thing! Then log on to the forum to find out it has been recalled. Don't really know what to say about this.....

Mike

10. adamsalan

adamsalan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But, I'm special and I should be moved to the front of the line. I mean this is what the government does. They move me to the front of the line for my food stamps, they give me free housing, free medical, free transportation, free college education, free attorney, free drugs to get off my illegal drugs, free clothing, etc.
    So government does this for me because I'm specially so why can't a private business do the same for me?

11. bigoo7e

bigoo7e XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My thoughts exactly... I've even considered sending it to the custom shop first on my dime. Who knows, while it's getting to work done someone there will notice this is a "recalled" gun and do the recalled work while it's there. One can dream, but I seriously don't think thats going to happen! :-(

12. Tattooed Bard

Tattooed Bard XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Send to custom shop first... From Springfield's FAQ

"Q13: My XD-S™ pistol is currently at Springfield for an upgrade or repair; will it be upgraded while it's there?

A13: Yes, any XD-S™ pistol that is currently at Springfield for repair or custom work will have the recall upgrade done before it is sent back to the customer."

So if I am reading correctly, any xds that comes in for custom work will have the recall work performed on it. Of course this means shipping would be on the owner

13. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is certainly the way it reads. The question is would they web agree to do any custom work on any XD-S firearms that aren't already at the custom shop.

14. powpow

powpow XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cuz private industry wants your money and the government wants your vote (they buy it with other peoples money).

15. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +67 / 0
    He also needs to read the next FAQ..

Q14: Can I have Custom work done to my pistol while it is there for the recall?

A14: No, Springfield will only be doing recall upgrades to pistols shipped back for the voluntary recall.

Can you people not read?

I don't even own an XDs and I know more about the recall than those that do..

16. CajunR

CajunR XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    That's about the fourth beer I owe you, dude. ;)