XDS Range Report - Sorry about your face

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by Obscura, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Obscura

Obscura XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hit Sportsman's Outlet in Humble and cranked off 300 rounds of Tula.
    [​IMG]

During a reload or target change the guys in the next lane asked what I was shooting and then peppered me with a barrage of questions. Where did I get it, did I like it, how does it shoot.... on and on. They asked to take pictures and everything. LOL.

I was checking random shell casings and all of the primer strikes were right in the center where they're supposed to be. The XDS ran great and I'm already becoming more comfortable shooting it.

[​IMG]
    Howdy, Sorry about your face. :twisted:

When I got home I threw the slide, barrel, and spring into the oven at 200 degrees and went to work out. After the workout I bathed the hot parts in froglube. Clean-up took less than ten minutes. All the grime wiped right off with very little effort. Frog lube soaked in and now the slide has a nice texture like a dry bar of soap. (smells great too)

2. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice shooting!

3. ZONES

ZONES XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sweet man, pm me your number if you are interested in a shooting partner. I go to sportsmans in humble and thunder gun range right off 1314(went today actually).

Love how sportsmans allows rapid fire, even though I don't do it very often. Would love to try your xds, I have a few you can try if you have not fired them as well as the cheapo VE40 from S&W that is very nice since I polished the barrel and feedramp, and the trigger mod I found. Actually a nice pistol now, lol.

4. Ricoks

Ricoks XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forgive me, but what is the purpose of putting the partsin the oven?
    I have never heard anyone doing this or of 'froglube'. thanks
    Ricoks

5. Obscura

Obscura XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FrogLube soaks into the metal. The initial treatment process is a lot like seasoning a cast iron frying pan. You warm the parts up and then apply FrogLube paste or liquid. (the paste liquefies instantly on the hot metal) FrogLube seeps into the metal and floats out carbon fouling and such. After everything cools off your parts wipe clean with a rag and a bore snake.

After the initial treatments the surface of the treated parts take on a smooth finish, much like a new, dry, bar of bath soap. (or the previously mentioned, seasoned cast iron frying pan) You can feel the difference in the action and trigger. Everything is smoother than before.

Once treated, when you shoot and the gun warms up, FrogLube re-liquefies and sweats out providing additional lubrication and a protective barrier to cut down on what is able to attach to the surface. Clean-up is much easier than before. Black fouling that used to have to be scrubbed off, wipes off with a rag.

There is one more thing. This stuff smells like a spearmint lifesavers and is non-toxic. Ok, that was two things.

6. Ricoks

Ricoks XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    interesting.
    how often do you have to 'treat' the parts? just once in its lifetime, or is it more often?
    anyplace I can go to read more on how to do it? is this something that 'most' do, or is it just one of many choices to accomplish the same end result?
    thanks

7. Devil Dawg

Devil Dawg XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Dang.. I work here near IAH and never even heard of this range. Closest one I knew of was either Carter's(Hate It) or Spring Gun & Ammo(Love It)...

What are the range fees? I need to shoot mine and happen to have it with me all day.

Good shooting. Can't believe you shot that tulammo though. That stuff is so gunky is clogged up the bore on my mini-14 and caused it to FTE. That was both times I shot it, the 1st and last... Did you get the froglube locally?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  8. Obscura

Obscura XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FrogLube instructions from the manufacturer.

There are many different methods of gun cleaning and care. My grandfather and father were Hoppes No. 9 men and the smell of those products still stirs up powerful nostalgic memories of childhood watching them clean their guns after returning from a hunt.

If they were around, they'd tell you not to waste your money on new fangled snake oils. Everyone has an opinion on what they think is right. You've got to try things out and find out what works best for you.

9. Obscura

Obscura XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Every range has their rules. Sportsman's pet peeve is that you've got to buy their targets. They claim that it's for insurance purposes. They will let you put stickers on their targets so it's not as bad as Carter's. The other thing I love about Sportsman's is that it's never crowded. There have been several Friday evenings where I was the only shooter. :cool:

Last night I bought two extra targets and the total fee for the evening was $15.00. The folks who work there are friendly and there are several LEO agencies who train and qualify there. I was there one night when a group of University of Houston police were qualifying.

Tula gets a bad rap. The old Tula might have been filthy but the current stuff runs cleaner than WWB. It's also the least expensive .45 ACP cartridge on the market allowing me to shoot more on the same budget. If you haven't tried it recently, you might pick up a box next time you're in WalMart. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it's readily available!

I forget where I ordered the FrogLube. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/FROGLUBE-CLP-Lubricant-Kit-Liquid/dp/B003ZW0LXQ"]Amazon has it and it's prime eligible so I'll buy there when it's time to restock. [/ame]

10. madmike76

madmike76 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like to go to the one on 59 and gulf bank. It is less expensive than the Sportsmans outlet in humble

11. Obscura

Obscura XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't been down there yet. They used to rent machine guns right?

12. Devil Dawg

Devil Dawg XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Don't you need a machine gun to get into that place? LOL.. I didn't realize they were still open.

13. 3shot

3shot XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice shootin'!
    Congrats on the 15 minutes of fame at your range!:p

14. saluki6589

saluki6589 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I picked up some FrogLube, but haven't tried it yet. Did you apply it to the trigger assembly and sear also? If you did how did you go about heating those? BTW...nice shootin' Tex

15. RetiredFCC

RetiredFCC XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Congrats on your purchase!

You have piqued my interest with this "Frog Lube" sir! :)

I believe I may have to acquire some and see if it will get rid of the "rings" on the front of the cylinder on my wheel guns!

BTW, Nice shooting!