XDS not going into full battery. Advice?

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by Jay34, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Jay34

Jay34 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Attached is a picture of my XDS. I had just chambered a 45acp snap-cap, but you can see the firearm has failed to enter full battery and the loaded chamber indicator is showing an empty chamber (although I verified that there is a round in the chamber). This occurred several times at the range, which lead to failures to fire/light primer strikes. I can manually reduce the problem by slapping the back of the slide which forces it into full battery, however that won't suffice in a life-or-death real world scenario. I've already tried cleaning and lubricating the fire arm. Is there a solution to this problem or should I send the firearm to Springfield Armory for repair? Thanks.

Attached Files:

• $XDS.jpg
      $XDS.jpg
      File size:
      105.3 KB
      Views:
  2. dfettero

dfettero XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A few thoughts come to mind.

Does it happen with real bullets?
    Are you using a magazine to chamber the snap cap?
    Does it happen with all your magazines?
    Does it happen with more than one snap cap?
    Are you releasing the slide from slide lock or riding it?

3. Knightslugger

Knightslugger XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 3
    if the breech isn't in full battery the loaded chamber indicator wont work as the breech falls as it unlocks.

how are you chambering that snap cap?

4. Jay34

Jay34 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, it does happen with real bullets. I am using the 5rd magazines and it happens with both of them. It happens with more than one snap cap. It hasn't happen recently when releasing the slide from slide lock (it occured twice at the range, but hasn't been an issue while experimenting at home with snap caps). It generally only happens with a) manually racking the slide and b) automatic loading of rounds 2-5 while at the range. I am very aggressive with racking the slide and it has resolved my previous issues of failure to eject, but I still get the failure to go into battery. Thanks.

5. v6stang07

v6stang07 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I noticed with mine (which has only had 200 rds tops through it) if you try and gently rack the gun it will sit in that position. I fixed it just by pulling back the slide and letting it go kind of aggressively.

6. HDHNTER

HDHNTER XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What's your round count so far?

7. ScottRoof

ScottRoof XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you get the out of battery condition at the range is it after loading the first round in a magazine, or does it occur as you are cycling the gun through the normal shooting process?

If it is happening on the first round only then it could be riding the slide, but this is more likely to create a jammed feed than anything else.

If it is happening at random places as you shoot through a magazine then you might be having a thumb resting on the slide, impeding its progress. Or, don't get mad, it could be a weak grip...

I have about 800 rounds through mine and have not had on out of battery condition yet, but I let two women shoot my XDs and they had a very high rate of OOB's (4 of 10 rounds to be exact).

8. Duce

Duce XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most likely cause is just not racking the slide hard/aggressively enough. Try it many times while realeasing the slide with the slide lock to see if it will cause the same problem.

9. Jay34

Jay34 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here's a video of me racking through a magazine. Failure to enter battery noticeably occurs on the 2nd round. (vid removed-problem solved).

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  10. Jay34

Jay34 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Usually happens at random times, but generally not on the first round. I'm used to shooting with a 9mm, so weakish grip could be a possibility, but I'm very conscientious of my grip, making sure to keep a good hold with stiff posture. But, I'll keep my grip and thumb placement in mind and try to put a 100 more rounds through it and see if that can resolve the problem. Thanks.

11. Duce

Duce XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try to let go of the slide as you pull it all the way back. See if it then fails to go into battery.

If it is happening on rounds other than the first from a magazine, everything I have read online has that being related to a weak grip/limp wristing.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  12. Jay34

Jay34 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advice. I tried driving the gun forward such that my hand would rip from the slide once it was all the way back. I've done this a few times and have not had a failure to enter battery, so this seems to be working. It's hell on my fingertips.

At this point, I'm OK with accepting that the problem may not the gun, but my inexperience with an XD gun and the .45 round (this is my first Springfield and my first .45acp).

Thanks for the help.

13. geckohawaii88

geckohawaii88 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a plumber, and as such don't have the softest of hands, and I can definitely feel it on my fingertips when I take the xds to the range. You will get used to it though.

14. wvbob

wvbob XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're riding the slide bud. Keep your right hand stationary. Pull the slide back with your left until it stops and let go. You want all the inertia to operate the slide. Also put a 2 hand death grip on it when you fire and see if that helps your feed issues.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

15. vikefan7

vikefan7 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had to gun go out of battery a few times after holstering and not returning to battery when drawing the weapon. I have about 700 rounds through it now. Not sure if I should be worried about this or not. I did notice that I might be catching the loaded chamber indicator when re-holstering, but shouldn't it return to battery when i draw?

16. Greg O

Greg O XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My XDs does it after 100-150 rounds. Clean it works like a champ!
    I am considering sending it back to SA, or triming off a bit of the extractor spring. Near as I can figure it is caused by the extremely tight extractor spring. As the round raises up into battery the extractor slides into the groove on the brass. The exractor pushes so hard on the brass that it causes a bunch of friction and stops the action of the gun.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/225613-xds-fails-feed-completely-when-dirty.html

17. CRFan1

CRFan1 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shoot the gun....:p

18. cfoxtrot

cfoxtrot XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed, that extractor is tight, not sure why it has to be pushed so far by the case. Seems to me that the extractor needs to be spaced out a bit so it just touches the case...might just have to give it a try?

19. vaq45

vaq45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I took my "rubber"spring out of mine and have never had a problem since-cant seem to find an answer on why its there ,just makes the extractor so damn tight against the shell anyway,that's how I solved all my xds problems--just my 2 cents

20. parrowman

parrowman XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It looks to me like you are trying to push the slide forward. Just let it rip man. I'm so seeing if u didn't damage something the first few time you racked the slide. Like tried to force it forward on what would have been a malfunction. Just a thought