Springfield XD Forum banner

Xds light strikes

34K views 133 replies 68 participants last post by  Toolman 
#1 ·
Has any one had trouble with light strikes on their xds, just had to send mine back because of numerous light strikes. I tried four different brands of ammo

#77 ·
How do you know it was in full battery? Did you check it before you pulled the trigger? If not, it likely went into battery after the trigger was pulled as the XDS is known to do. The XDS out of battery 'theory' is more than 'theory' - it's fact.
XDdude, I stand puzzled if not corrected: your point dawned on me a while after I posted. But...if I understand the OOB theory correctly, the light strike is due the firing pin resting at a slight angle and hence off center. On the last light strike I had the hit was slightly off center. I recocked but did not eject the round and at that point both checked that it was in battery and the round did fire. But the second strike merely deepened the initial primer. I'd think that if the firing pin angle is an issue the. The second strike would have widened the strike crater? Thoughts?

#78 ·
Kept noodling over what could be causing the FTFs. I had posted earlier that I was wonder if the firing pin could "cant" and cause the off center strikes. So, I pulled up the SA owners manual to look at the parts schematic to look at the striker spring retainer. Wanted to see if mine looked the same so I pull the striker assembly out of the gun. Yep...looks the same. Wait...what the heck is this???

Pics (still off of a crappy android) attached below of what I found on the "shoulder" area (don't know what else to call it) of the firing pin. At first I thought it was carbon build up. But, upon closer inspection, the corner is marred/gouged. Wasn't like this when I originally cleaned the striker assembly/channel prior to the first firing of the gun.

Obviously, something is not machined and/or functioning correctly. I guess this is another couple of pics to share with SA in the morning.

Please post if anyone else having FTFs have looked at their firing pin/striker assembly and have seen this.
Saluki, any follow up from SA? My problem is identical to yours. Unfortunately, I was documenting on a separate thread. I have called SA and they weren't helpful. I looked at my striker and took a pic, looks similar to yours. Auto part

I am curious to know if Springfield fixed that issue or if this is what is causing the off center primer strikes for the rest of us. I'm going to send back as we'll. please let us know your outcome. I will do the same.

#80 ·
Saluki, any follow up from SA? My problem is identical to yours. Unfortunately, I was documenting on a separate thread. I have called SA and they weren't helpful. I looked at my striker and took a pic, looks similar to yours. View attachment 14257
I am curious to know if Springfield fixed that issue or if this is what is causing the off center primer strikes for the rest of us. I'm going to send back as we'll. please let us know your outcome. I will do the same.
Just shot mine today and had a plenty of light strikes. After reading this thread I pulled my striker out and saw the same damage as you.

Saluki, any updates?

#81 ·
I test shot a range gun before my purchase. I had two failure to fire in 50 rounds I threw them back in the mag and they fired the 2nd time. No idea what the insides looked like, but I was using the cheapest target ammo they had. I assumed the rounds were the culprit. Ive only put about 60 rounds through mine so far, but no issues with firing.

#83 ·
I joined mainly to share my experience w/ XDS.

Purchased roughly 2 months ago, took it home, stripped, cleaned as I would any other standard type handgun, & off to range. No issues w/ WWB, Blazer, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger HP, etc. Roughly 125 rounds total.

Back home, clean, lube, etc.. Back to range a week/2-weeks later, light primer strikes plaguing me like crazy, up to 2 per mag (std. and extended).

Back home, some google-fu and strip, clean, take out striker, clean channel, lube as instructed.. Back to range (again, week or so later), same issues. Gripped it as tight as I could, light strikes got better, but still 1 or 2 every couple mags.

Called SA, they told me about lube, grip, etc.. Did all of that, this time took a friend from Police Force (carries a Glock 36 as back up, similar). Same issues, and he had a worse time than I. Had to listen to Glock is great all the way home from range.

So, called SA, they promptly sent me FedEx email, sent it off. They called < week, said they lubed it and had no issues at all, and were sending it back. Sigh.

Anyway, love the gun, will try it again, but I don't trust it at all as EDC. Nothing but love for their 1911 pistols, but I've personally had issues with XD and now XDs (no issues from other poly firearms, PPQ, M&P, H&K, etc.).

Moving forward, not sure. Will wait till I get firearm back, see what paperwork says, then go from there.

#84 ·

Purchased roughly 2 months ago, took it home, stripped, cleaned as I would any other standard type handgun, & off to range. No issues w/ WWB, Blazer, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger HP, etc. Roughly 125 rounds total.

Back home, clean, lube, etc.. Back to range a week/2-weeks later, light primer strikes plaguing me like crazy, up to 2 per mag (std. and extended).

Back home, some google-fu and strip, clean, take out striker, clean channel, lube as instructed.. Back to range (again, week or so later), same issues. Gripped it as tight as I could, light strikes got better, but still 1 or 2 every couple mags.

Called SA, they told me about lube, grip, etc.. Did all of that, this time took a friend from Police Force (carries a Glock 36 as back up, similar). Same issues, and he had a worse time than I. Had to listen to Glock is great all the way home from range.

So, called SA, they promptly sent me FedEx email, sent it off. They called < week, said they lubed it and had no issues at all, and were sending it back. Sigh.

Anyway, love the gun, will try it again, but I don't trust it at all as EDC. Nothing but love for their 1911 pistols, but I've personally had issues with XD and now XDs (no issues from other poly firearms, PPQ, M&P, H&K, etc.).

Moving forward, not sure. Will wait till I get firearm back, see what paperwork says, then go from there.
Thanks for the input. Further reinforcement that this apparently isn't user error.

#85 ·

Sucks that you got the dreaded "no problems found," let us know how it goes. I've gotten "no problems found" twice now from SA and am nearing the end of my patience. I'm holding onto the gun until I get a chance to shoot someone else's XD-S to see how it goes, but until then, it's pretty much going to be a safe queen.

#87 ·
After I hit 250-300 rounds with this gun. All my problems magically disappeared?
(knock on wood)

I now shoot factory bulk ammo, reloads, hornady xtp's....no problems, no light strikes and it is extremely accurate! Maybe there's some truth to a "break in"?
Taking 1/2 day off work tomorrow to head to range and try out a new BCM 14.5" toy. Hopefully XDS will be back today, and I can give it another go. I've got to be close to the 250 round or so count. This time, I'll take various ammo types (WWB, Aguila, Blazer Brass, Fiocchi) and test out a bit. Oddly, all of that has been fed thru HK45C and M&P45 full size w/ 0-failures.

Really hope the issues are worked out or magically disappear, I really like this firearm for EDC, but only if I can trust it. Will def. update on this board.

#88 ·
Firearm returned, stated nothing wrong, lubed properly, test fired with no issues.

The thing is soaked with lube, if it needs to be that lubed, it's no good for EDC for me.

Currently listed on local / state forum w/ full disclosure of issues I encountered. Obviously my grip / lube practices are no good for this firearm.

Still love my Springfield 1911 (Range Officer), flawless & sweet shooter.

Blessings & Happy Shooting.

#89 ·
Firearm returned, stated nothing wrong, lubed properly, test fired with no issues.

The thing is soaked with lube, if it needs to be that lubed, it's no good for EDC for me.

Currently listed on local / state forum w/ full disclosure of issues I encountered. Obviously my grip / lube practices are no good for this firearm.

Still love my Springfield 1911 (Range Officer), flawless & sweet shooter.

Blessings & Happy Shooting.
Thanks for the update. Doing the same. Funny how every other sub compact pistol out there works for me. Maybe SF should put out an instructional video on how to shoot the pistol.

#90 ·
I don't have any visible damage, but I do have a lot of light strikes. The problem is completely intermittent. I can shoot an entire 50 round box of factory ammo (I have tried every brand, and every brand has at least 1-6 light strikes out of each box of 50). Then, the 2nd box of 50 I will get a light strike in the next box. It may be the 60th, or it may be the 90th.

I talked to Springfield about it and they said the same 'wet lube' comment I have heard before. The wet lube reduced the number of light strikes, but they still happened within a box of 50 rounds.

I can shoot it one-handed without a problem, and have only had the light strikes when firing two-handed (in other words, I'm not limp wristing it).

I just got it back from Springfield after sending it back, and their comment was that they disassembled it, found nothing wrong, relubed and test fired. No light strikes. Lovely, but if you shoot a box or two of ammo, it does. I have shot over 400 rounds and have had around 6 light strikes out of the last 100. The best it did in 100 rounds was 2 light strikes, one in each box.

I'm about to shoot it now, and will check before every shot to make sure it goes into full battery.

#91 ·
I don't have any visible damage, but I do have a lot of light strikes. The problem is completely intermittent. I can shoot an entire 50 round box of factory ammo (I have tried every brand, and every brand has at least 1-6 light strikes out of each box of 50). Then, the 2nd box of 50 I will get a light strike in the next box. It may be the 60th, or it may be the 90th.

I talked to Springfield about it and they said the same 'wet lube' comment I have heard before. The wet lube reduced the number of light strikes, but they still happened within a box of 50 rounds.

I can shoot it one-handed without a problem, and have only had the light strikes when firing two-handed (in other words, I'm not limp wristing it).

I just got it back from Springfield after sending it back, and their comment was that they disassembled it, found nothing wrong, relubed and test fired. No light strikes. Lovely, but if you shoot a box or two of ammo, it does. I have shot over 400 rounds and have had around 6 light strikes out of the last 100. The best it did in 100 rounds was 2 light strikes, one in each box.

I'm about to shoot it now, and will check before every shot to make sure it goes into full battery.
Please let us know how it worked out. Had mine on consignment @ LGS for about 3 weeks, not sold yet. They've had a new one ($550) for several days as well.

Been buying guns for 20 years, first time that's ticked me off enough to write off a manuf. A $550 paperweight or thrown weapon (poly-rock) is really getting to me.

Used to be a Springfield fanboy, now, not so much!

#92 ·
Well I took my XDS out for its first range time.....

Out of 114 rounds....21 light strikes. The first six I put back in and refired the last 17 I kept to take photos to send to SA.

I was using WWB ammo and the light strikes where all centered. I broke the gun down on the range and relubed to make sure it was "wet" but still happened. Towards the end it was like the first two rounds of the mag.

I am very disappointed since I am replacing a PF9 that will not feed properly.

I love the gun...but can't trust it so far.

#93 ·
Bomar, that's not much off my experience. First 50 rounds, no problem. Next 50 had about 6-7 light strikes, and so on until I ran through 250 rounds.

Did some homework, changed my grip (a little more off-hand pressure, not much), and added lube to the slide rails and a drop on the extractor. Not sopping, but definitely wetter than my LC9.

500 rounds later, the only light strike I've had was when a buddy fired it, and he admitted to limp-wristing.

All this to say, break-in, lube, and learning curve all have played a part in many XDs owner's success stories with these guns. Give it 400 rounds, run 'er a little wet, and find your grip.

#94 ·
I think I have been posting on the wrong board.
First 1000 rounds were flawless then nothing but light off center primer strikes. Found the striker was hitting the striker safety and damaged, like many members have had. Sent to Springfield. They did a clean, lube and check. I got 18 rounds before the same problem started again. Sent it back again last week. Something is causing the striker safety and the striker to be in the same place at the same time, and cleaning doesn't solve the problem. I love the gun, but you cannot carry a weapon if you cannot trust it.:confused:

#95 ·
When I fired my XD-S for the first time, I had one light strike about the 115th round or so. I pulled the slide to take a look. I had fired 100 rounds of S&B 230gr ball and the inside of the slide was VERY dirty. I mean chunks of dirt!

So, the question is: when do the light strikes start in a given range session?
is it right away or after some shooting?

The XD-S is NOT a range gun. If the light strikes start after some shooting, when the slide is dirty inside, then it should be fine for ccw. You should be carrying a clean XD-S for your EDC. If you need more than 10 rounds, as a civilian, you are in some really deep s**t.

The XD-S has tight tolerances that will loosen up over time. If the pistol has been cleaned and lubed properly, and you have trained with a correct grip, it should be a good pistol for EDC.

Thoughts?

#96 ·
My thoughts are ...

If the XDs has to be held a certain way with a certain amount of pressure to ensure the round fires or the next round loads correctly, then it is not a weapon I want to trust my life with. It should fire unside down and inside out every time without question.

example - quick draw to engage 2 targets, fire from hip...limp wrist the first shot, fail to feed second round...i'm dead...

Selling mine next week to a co worker.

#97 ·
I am sure it was already said but I do not want to look for it.

You need a firm grip and wrist. Hold it solid like you mean it. A weak grip and/or loose wrist will often cause the slide to not completely go into battery. It will be close enough for the trigger to work but it will look like a light strike.

This happens more with smaller pistols. Hold it more firmly. Lock that wrist and elbow. Do not be flexy with the little guns.

If this is too tough or unacceptable, get a more standard sized handgun or look at a j-frame sized revolver.

#98 ·
Limp wristing, or not holding the gun just right should not cause the damage some of us have noticed on the striker where the striker safety mates with the striker.
If I didn't hold, clean or lube the gun properly, I probably would not have been able to get the first 1000 rounds off without a problem. After Springfield cleaned, lubed and tested, I got 18 rounds off before the problem started again.:confused:

#99 ·
SN XS581197

135 rounds of Winchester 230 gr FMJ. Pretty clear that these problems (fail to fire, light primer strikes, dented striker, chewed up recoil spring) are happening regardless of ammo type.

What troubles me is that every person that sends the gun to SA gets it back dripping with oil and a statement saying that the gun is fine.

Attachments

#100 ·
Here's a thought - is the extension (small finger) on the trigger bar lifting the striker safety enough? If that extension was a little higher, would it lift the striker safety enough to clear the striker? Perhaps a redesigned trigger bar would solve some of these problems.

#101 ·
Hate to say it, I shot 400 rounds today out of my brand new XDs. Out of those 400, had about 12 light strikes and 1 FTE.

The gun was clean, we'll lubricated, and held correctly yet it still had some issues. Checked the firing case, and it had a little build up, but nothing I feel should be causing malfunctions.

I will continue to fire the weapon and reserve judgement until I have about 1000 rounds through her.

Incidentally, my light strikes only occurred after the first 200 rounds. The first 200 were flawless. Lets hope the next 600 rounds corrects the problem

Stay safe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.