Springfield XD Forum banner

Xds light strikes

34K views 133 replies 68 participants last post by  Toolman 
#1 ·
Has any one had trouble with light strikes on their xds, just had to send mine back because of numerous light strikes. I tried four different brands of ammo

#52 ·
Saluki, I took a look at my pin and I have something similar going on at the sme spot. Mine is not as bad as yours but it has only had 55 rounds or so. Serial number 505xxx.....we have something bad going on I believe.
Saluki and Ugabdawg,

I've only had approximately 100 WWB rounds through it and I already see wear on the striker/pin. Out of 100 rounds I would say I experienced about 10-15 FTF. Serial number on my XDs is XS505.

Thank you.

#53 ·
Just bought my XDS yesterday, only bought 1 box of Whinchester white box (ran though those like butter), and 1 box of Hornady Critical Defense. On the 3rd round I had a FTF light striker. SN XS513. I haven't oiled or cleaned her yet. Will do that, then puts some serious rounds through. Any hiccups and I'll be sending it back in for service.

#54 ·
My earlier post turned out to be user error and I can't even begin to tell you how he was unable to rack a round into the barrel but there it is. I shot the XDs today and and enjoyed it very much. I can see what all the fuss is about how such a small frame handles a large load but it does and she does it well. I will still go with the 3.8" XDm .45, I just like having the rounds available with a carry weapon.

#56 ·
You are being WAAAAAY to cautious. Go and fire it. If it clicks, hold it there for 10 seconds. No fire, drop the mag, cycle the round and continue on. Yours is most likely fine. Also if it isn't fine. Don't you want to know so you can send it off to get fixed ASAP.
Once again for the lurkers out there, on a failure to fire during a non-combat situation (e.g. at the range), the standard wait time is 60 seconds not 10 seconds.

#58 ·
Took my new XDS to the range today. Shot its first 250 rounds out of it. 2 light primer strikes with blazer aluminum and 1 light primer strike with Seller & Bellet. None with WWB. I had cleaned and lubed before going to the range, but did not detail strip and check the striker channel. XS513xxx

#59 ·
Went to the range today and had to use their ammo. Blazer aluminum casings, 2 light strikes with that stuff. Never had a light strike with any other ammo before. Striker channel was clean and dry before shooting today. So contribute it to the ammo.

#60 ·
Back to the range tonight for outing #3 with the XDS. It was cleaned and well lubed and I had cleaned out the striker channel. Put about 200 rounds of FMJ and 20 rounds of assorted defense loads down range. Had 3 light strikes with the FMJ - one Georgia Arms and two Blazer Brass. All defense loads were fine, continuing the general pattern of the first two range session. Aside from these few but irritating light strikes (off-center, BTW) I continue to be amazed at how controllable and accurate this little gun is.

#62 ·
Back to the range tonight for outing #3 with the XDS. It was cleaned and well lubed and I had cleaned out the striker channel. Put about 200 rounds of FMJ and 20 rounds of assorted defense loads down range. Had 3 light strikes with the FMJ - one Georgia Arms and two Blazer Brass. All defense loads were fine, continuing the general pattern of the first two range session. Aside from these few but irritating light strikes (off-center, BTW) I continue to be amazed at how controllable and accurate this little gun is.
I'm amazed, too. Amazed at how unreliable the XDS has been.

#63 ·
Mine has been perfect sense day one. I don't shoot Blaser aluminum rounds through it. Have had a issue in every gun I've shot using that stuff. Had one revolver where the empties were stuck in the cylinder and had to use wood dowl and tape them out. Shoot a lot of Federal and have no problems with it.

#64 ·
I'm amazed, too. Amazed at how unreliable the XDS has been.
really? Do you own one? Just curious. Mine has not been unreliable - the opposite - great so far.

#66 ·
No, I don't own one. I own two. One works. One doesn't. The bi-tone may have made me bi-curious and now I'm limp wristing.
Man anything mass produced can have problems. My wife's 2012 Ford had to go to the dealer for some warranty work the other day, but I wouldn't say it's unreliable....

I just don't see why you say you're amazed of how unreliable the XDS if you have one that runs great.:?:

Just curious how many rounds do you have through it? Mine has been 600 w/o any issues.

#67 ·
Sometimes people seem to forget about guns like the LCP , Bodyguard's , (and still having issues) Gen4 19's ...

LCP'/Bodyguards has a lot of kinks when released ... They are now some of the highest selling guns and most reliable...

It's been a few years and Gen4 Glock 19's are still ejecting flaming hot brass at people's faces ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#69 ·
No, I don't own one. I own two. One works. One doesn't. The bi-tone may have made me bi-curious and now I'm limp wristing.
That is so funny. I have started a post on limp wristing and have a bi tone as well. My serial number is 510xxx and i have not had any problems but have only shot 60 rounds thru my pistol. I will say i have never had to completely pull apart a pistol completely. If mine did not fire from the factory i would send it back. My observation is this. A forum that is accessed by everyone can make something seem like it is a huge problem. Somewhere there is a post that is trying to track how many guns have problems and the series to see if there is a pattern. I think someone needs to tally the problems with total number of guns per series of serial numbers. This is just way to confusing when people go back and forth.. If it is new and does not work send it back. This is my first SA and i was considering buying another but all this FTF talk scares me for now. Maybe since my gun fires well so far i should not read any posts. I do think that if you have a problem please put the serial number which seems to be relavent.

That Bi Tone joke was a funny one. Had me rolling :lol:

Page 26 says other than field stripping no further disassembly should be necessary. Unless you are a gun smith or SA i would send it back as many times as necessary. There are lemon laws that would require the buy back of your pistol if it was the same problem over and over again(more than 3 i think). This i am guessing at with guns but i am sure it would still apply.

#72 ·
Spoke with Vicky (very nice lady) at SA. Explained the issues I (and other XDS owners) am having with the light strikes and firing pin damage. Vicky wanted to speak with a tech (Brad) prior to sending a FedEx return label.

Brad told Vicky (I was not given the opportunity to speak directly with him) that the light strikes seem like the gun is not going into full battery, but had no comment about the firing pin damage. I told Vicky I had pictures of the above and the off center primer strikes and would be glad to email them so that Brad can get a look at what I was describing. Vicky said that sending SA the pics wouldn't be necessary and that SA would rather have me send in the gun w/ a letter explaining my issues. No problem there, I will just cut 'n paste my postings...along w/ the pics.

I also let Vicky know of the FTF reports on the forum and that we are now tracking them by FTF and S/N if that would be helpful to SA. She replied "Hmmm...interesting." One other note. When Vicky asked me for the XDS's S/N...she said "XS? (starts with), I haven't heard of one of those yet."

So the XDS goes back to the mother ship. Hopefully, I can get it to FedEx this afternoon if my schedule allows. I will post updates as I get feedback from SA.
Can you please post the results of you sending your XDS back to SA? That was a few months ago, so I'm assuming you got your gun back already? Did they fix the issue?

#73 ·
Hello,

After my first visit to the range, having light strikes, reading this forum I feel like I have to share my experience with light strikes. I understand some people may have actual problems with their XDs but this is my current experience(+-300 shots).

Prior to first trip, did general clean and lube of gun, (did not clean striker channel).

First trip to the range, 4 light strikes after 150 shots, two different shooters. If my memory serves me right three of the four strikes where at the end of the day of shooting so some fatigue and limp wristing may have helped cause this effect.

Went home worried, checked the forums for some possible solutions. Re-cleaned gun, disassembled and thoroughly cleaned and dried striker channel and striker(striker and channel was dripping with the factory fluids). Lubed and greased gun thoroughly(leaving striker channel dried).

Second trip. three shooters mainly me. 0 light strikes after 150+ shots. focused on grip, though I did shoot single handed and weak handed.

though I still have many rounds to fire before I trust this in the concealed purpose, I feel that many of the issues people are facing is not having the striker channel properly cleaned and possibly some limp wristing(one of the shooters on my second trip has a extremely weak grip and fired twenty off with no problems).

#74 ·
I have two XDSs, XS540xx4 and XS540xx8; each has 130 rounds through it, mostly Remington green box 230 gr. FMC, a few rounds each of Hornaday 200 Gr. HP and 185 gr. critical defense. No. xx8 has had three light strikes; both similarly lubed and well lubed, but not cleaned before firing beyond a dry patch through the bore. Upon cleaning, I found one small brass flake in xx8's striker channel, so that could be the problem although it seems unlikely as the misfires occured on two shooting sessions and about 30 rounds apart the first time and 10 the second/third times. I did note that the firing spring rubs against the striker channel more than I would expect--so a slight variation in roughness may create enough friction to sporadically create a light strike. Primer on the light strikes appears about 70-80% of the depth of the normal strike, so this is a very thin margin between "tink" and "bang." And the pistol was fully in battery when trigger was pulled, so the "out of battery" theory is not true for me at least. I very carefully lubricated everything after a thorough cleaning, and will get another 100 rounds/pistol shot in the next couple days, and then see if things are better. Trigger has definitely smoothed up since new, so maybe this will "fix itself" too. For now, I'm only carrying the reliable one, and will send the other back to SA if light strikes persist. If one can work right, both can work right. I am very impressed with these little guys--was reliably busting boulders yesterday at 50-70 yards and rapid fire is a palm pounding delight. Fun! Now if we only get "reliable"!

#75 ·
And the pistol was fully in battery when trigger was pulled, so the "out of battery" theory is not true for me at least.
How do you know it was in full battery? Did you check it before you pulled the trigger? If not, it likely went into battery after the trigger was pulled as the XDS is known to do. The XDS out of battery 'theory' is more than 'theory' - it's fact.

#76 ·
I have never had a light strike with mine. Interesting thing, I have been seeing used XDS's showing up in LGS. Was in one yesterday and a guy brought one in trying to sell it. I tried to ask him why but he just tried to avoid the question. Gun shop would only give him 340 for it and overheard him say he paid 569 a month before. Wow that's quit a hit. Could be he needed the money or momma found out about the purchase.
This gun shop is selling new ones for 499.00 and had 3 in stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.