Springfield XD Forum banner

Xds light strikes

34K views 133 replies 68 participants last post by  Toolman 
#1 ·
Has any one had trouble with light strikes on their xds, just had to send mine back because of numerous light strikes. I tried four different brands of ammo

#27 · (Edited)
Had posted earlier that I had 2 FTFs (S&B ammo) out of 125 rds which included 50 rds S&B, 50 rds Freedom Munitions Blaster and 25 rds Winchester Ranger T. I hoped against hope that this was due to hard primers on the S&B ammo. Well…Got to the range today with 50 rds UMC, 50 rds Blazer and 50 rds WWB. Here is what happened…

First, I apologize for the poor quality of the pics attached. Took them at the range with my crappy android.

UMC – 5 FTFs out of 50 rds
First round “Bang”, second round “Click”, third round “Click”. Needless to say I was shocked, disappointed and frustrated. Reloaded these rounds to see if they would fire on second strike and did. Continued on and had 3 more FTFs in the remainder of the 50 rds. I did not take pictures of the first 3 because I wanted to see if they would fire, but I took pics of the last 2 UMC FTFs. You can see that the primer strike is WAY WAY WAY off center. I also included a pic of the FTFs next to 5 first time fires. Notice the striker hit is pretty much dead center of the primer.

Blazer –4 FTFs out of 15 rds
First 4 rounds “Bang”, fifth round “Click”. Reloaded this round and fired on second strike. Did not take a pic of this round. Next 10 rounds 3 MORE FTFs. I did get pics of these, along with some of the first time fires. Again, you can see that the primer strike is WAY WAY WAY off center on the FTF cartridges.

WWB – Did not fire these rounds

I wondered what the @#$%! Could make the firing pin strike so far off center. Then I remembered that when I was cleaning the striker channel I compressed the striker spring to get an elbow gauge of the spring force. (First, let me preface this by saying I am not a firearms designer, nor am I a armorer. I am a mechanical engineer with over 15 years product design experience, so I am just making observations based on experience.) What I noticed when doing this was…

1.)
The spring when compressed “serpentines”, meaning it does not compress straight back. It “bends” or “bows”.

2.) The striker spring ends are not ground flat, and when compressed the spring ends shift on the spring retaining clip and the striker guide. What this does is put the spring even more off center, leaving the ID of the spring above and below the OD of these parts.

3.) Also, the spring ID is much larger than the OD of the firing pin. So there is nothing to “journal” the spring or keep it centered, allowing it to “bend” and “bow”

Seeing #1 thru #3 makes me wonder if the spring bowing when compressed presses against the inside diameter of the striker channel creating enough force to push the firing pin off center thus creating the off center FTFs shown in the pics.

To say I am frustrated is a major understatement! Luckily, I have my XD9sc or LC9 as fallback summertime EDCs. But, if I only owned the XDS as my primary EDC I would be mad as hell.

Regardless, SA is getting a call first thing in the morning with emailed pics to follow. I sure hope this is isolated, but my gut tells me this could lead the the “R” word. I’ll post an update after I speak with SA.

Springfield…you got some ‘splainin to do!

Attachments

#28 ·
Had posted earlier that I had 2 FTFs (S&B ammo) out of 125 rds which included 50 rds S&B, 50 rds Freedom Munitions Blaster and 25 rds Winchester Ranger T. I hoped against hope that this was due to hard primers on the S&B ammo. Well…Got to the range today with 50 rds UMC, 50 rds Blazer and 50 rds WWB. Here is what happened…

First, I apologize for the poor quality of the pics attached. Took them at the range with my crappy android.

UMC – 6 FTFs out 0f 50 rds
First round “Bang”, second round “Click”, third round “Click”. Needless to say I was shocked, disappointed and frustrated. Reloaded these rounds to see if they would fire on second strike and did. Continued on and had 3 more FTFs in the remainder f the 50 rds. I did not take pictures of the first 2 because I wanted to see if they would fire, but I took pics of the last 3 UMC FTFs. You can see that the primer strike is WAY WAY WAY off center. I also included a pic of the FTFs next to 5 first time fires. Notice the striker hit is pretty much dead center of the primer.

Blazer –4 FTFs out of 15 rds
First 4 rounds “Bang”, fifth round “Click”. Reloaded this round and fired on second strike. Did not take a pic of this round. Next 10 rounds 3 MORE FTFs. I did get pics of these, along with some of the first time fires. Again, you can see that the primer strike is WAY WAY WAY off center on the FTF cartridges.

WWB – Did not fire these rounds

I wondered what the @#$%! Could make the firing pin strike so far off center. Then I remembered that when I was cleaning the striker channel I compressed the striker spring to get an elbow gauge of the spring force. (First, let me preface this by saying I am not a firearms designer, nor am I a armorer. I am a mechanical engineer with over 15 years product design experience, so I am just making observations based on experience.) What I noticed when doing this was…

1.) The spring when compressed “serpentines”, meaning it does not compress straight back. It “bends” or “bows”.

2.) The striker spring ends are not ground flat, and when compressed the spring ends shift on the spring retaining clip and the striker “sleeve”. What this does is put the spring even more of center, leaving the OD of the spring above and below the OD of these parts.

3.) Also, the spring ID is much larger than the OD of the firing pin. So there is nothing to “journal” the spring or keep it centered, allowing it to “bend” and “bow”

Seeing #1 thru #3 makes me wonder if the spring bowing when compressed presses against the inside diameter of the striker channel creating enough force to push the firing pin off center thus creating the off center FTFs shown in the pics.

To say I am frustrated is a major understatement! Luckily, I have my XD9sc or LC9 as fallback summertime EDCs. But, if I only owned the XDS as my primary EDC I would be mad as hell.

Regardless, SA is getting a call first thing in the morning with emailed pics to follow. I sure hope this is isolated, but my gut tells me this could lead the the “R” word. I’ll post an update after I speak with SA.

Springfield…you got some ‘splainin to do!
Damn, that is jacked up! Sorry to hear this. Yes, please let us know what Springfield says. :confused: :cry:
Hmmmmm......
Saluki,
I am no engineer, but I don't know how the firing pin can move off center when the firing pin hole is in the center of the breach face???? There is not enough room around the pin once it protrudes. When the pin protrudes, the pin HAS to protrude in the center! It would seem that the round itself is not being centered in the breech?? I have no idea how, but I bet that is the case. Maybe the barrel is not being recentered after the recoil cycle?? Is it in 100% battery?? Don't know. Just not sure how the pin can be off center. Just tossing out Ideas..

#29 ·
Hey posted in my thread as well... It seems that when the rounds ftf, they are not completely in battery. Thus the off center strike. What I'm wondering is of the recoil spring assembly has too much strength and is therefor not allowing the next round to completely chamber.

My XDS is on its way to sa and I'm sure sa will be overly concerned with the amount of ftf's that are appearing with the new gun.

#31 ·
Damn, that is jacked up! Sorry to hear this. Yes, please let us know what Springfield says. :confused: :cry:
Hmmmmm......
Saluki,
I am no engineer, but I don't know how the firing pin can move off center when the firing pin hole is in the center of the breach face???? There is not enough room around the pin once it protrudes. When the pin protrudes, the pin HAS to protrude in the center! It would seem that the round itself is not being centered in the breech?? I have no idea how, but I bet that is the case. Maybe the barrel is not being recentered after the recoil cycle?? Is it in 100% battery?? Don't know. Just not sure how the pin can be off center. Just tossing out Ideas..
Certainly could be the case. I will mention this to SA when I speak with them. I was just making observations from what I saw of the striker assembly. Also, I just checked the movement of the firing pin when protruding through the firing pin hole on mine. It can be wiggled a fair amount, which may mean the firing pin may be able to "cant" in the striker channel which could theoretically allow for the off center strikes.

Like I said I am in no way shape or form an armorer or firearms engineer, nor claim to be, so I will let SA solve the problem. Right now I am just spitballin' because this frustrates the living hell out of me. Not to mention rattles my cage as an engineer.

#32 ·
Kept noodling over what could be causing the FTFs. I had posted earlier that I was wonder if the firing pin could "cant" and cause the off center strikes. So, I pulled up the SA owners manual to look at the parts schematic to look at the striker spring retainer. Wanted to see if mine looked the same so I pull the striker assembly out of the gun. Yep...looks the same. Wait...what the heck is this???

Pics (still off of a crappy android) attached below of what I found on the "shoulder" area (don't know what else to call it) of the firing pin. At first I thought it was carbon build up. But, upon closer inspection, the corner is marred/gouged. Wasn't like this when I originally cleaned the striker assembly/channel prior to the first firing of the gun.

Obviously, something is not machined and/or functioning correctly. I guess this is another couple of pics to share with SA in the morning.

Please post if anyone else having FTFs have looked at their firing pin/striker assembly and have seen this.

Attachments

#35 ·
Kept noodling over what could be causing the FTFs. I had posted earlier that I was wonder if the firing pin could "cant" and cause the off center strikes. So, I pulled up the SA owners manual to look at the parts schematic to look at the striker spring retainer. Wanted to see if mine looked the same so I pull the striker assembly out of the gun. Yep...looks the same. Wait...what the heck is this???

Pics (still off of a crappy android) attached below of what I found on the "shoulder" area (don't know what else to call it) of the firing pin. At first I thought it was carbon build up. But, upon closer inspection, the corner is marred/gouged. Wasn't like this when I originally cleaned the striker assembly/channel prior to the first firing of the gun.

Obviously, something is not machined and/or functioning correctly. I guess this is another couple of pics to share with SA in the morning.

Please post if anyone else having FTFs have looked at their firing pin/striker assembly and have seen this.
Damn, that IS jacked up!!!!
Something not right there:confused:
Definate shearing!!!

BTW my serial is XS501xxx....no probs

#36 ·
Saluki i believe that you and I both got our guns from the same place last week as I ordered right after you. I'm having the same issues with the low hits to primer getting the crickets chirping after about the 4th or last round of the magazine. I'm just wondering if it has something to do with the lower tnension in the mags. I only fired about 55 shots so far. I picked it up and headed straight to the firing line so I didn't have a chance to clean it to see if that was a possible problem. I only had 1 or 2 mags empty out without a WTF coming out of my mouth. Was using the cheap Wally world federals but have never had any issues with the 9mm or .40 of the brand after going through over 1 k of those. It is either the gun or I'm limp writing it and the bullet isn't getting chambered properly. I had the range master empty a mag and he had no issues so again I don't know if he got lucky or if it's me. I got pissed and took my butt home to clean, hopefully I'll get back soon to see if the saga continues, but there is no way I would trust my life to this pistol like I would my ruger sr9c which goes bang EVERY time. I'm curious to see what the outcome of your gun is...your firing pin damage doesn't look good.

#37 ·
Saluki i believe that you and I both got our guns from the same place last week as I ordered right after you. I'm having the same issues with the low hits to primer getting the crickets chirping after about the 4th or last round of the magazine. I'm just wondering if it has something to do with the lower tnension in the mags. I only fired about 55 shots so far. I picked it up and headed straight to the firing line so I didn't have a chance to clean it to see if that was a possible problem. I only had 1 or 2 mags empty out without a WTF coming out of my mouth. Was using the cheap Wally world federals but have never had any issues with the 9mm or .40 of the brand after going through over 1 k of those. It is either the gun or I'm limp writing it and the bullet isn't getting chambered properly. I had the range master empty a mag and he had no issues so again I don't know if he got lucky or if it's me. I got pissed and took my butt home to clean, hopefully I'll get back soon to see if the saga continues, but there is no way I would trust my life to this pistol like I would my ruger sr9c which goes bang EVERY time. I'm curious to see what the outcome of your gun is...your firing pin damage doesn't look good.
If you got it from Gilbert's after having seen Bonehead's post you did.

The position of the FTFs have been random with regard to position in the magazine...some at the beginning rounds, some middle, some end, some no FTFs. One thing I did realize is this...

1.) First range trip I had 2 FTFs within the first 50 rounds (S&B) then no FTFs with the following 75 rounds (50 Freedom & 25 Winchester Ranger T)

2.) Second range trip 5 FTFs first 50 rounds (UMC), first 4 mags, last 6 mags no FTFs and 4 FTFs (Blazer) in the next 15 rounds, mags 1, 2 and 3. Shut it down at that point.

3.) All FTFs had the off center (far off center) primer strikes

The FTFs seemed to be increasing in frequency as the round count went up. Just glad I happened to see the damage to firing pin and get some pics to send to SA.

#38 ·
Uga...Since we may have seem to gotten XDS's close in serial # let me know if you pull out the striker assembly and see any damage where my pics show.

#39 ·
If you got it from Gilbert's after having seen Bonehead's post you did.

The position of the FTFs have been random with regard to position in the magazine...some at the beginning rounds, some middle, some end, some no FTFs. One thing I did realize is this...

1.) First range trip I had 2 FTFs within the first 50 rounds (S&B) then no FTFs with the following 75 rounds (50 Freedom & 25 Winchester Ranger T)

2.) Second range trip 5 FTFs first 50 rounds (UMC), first 4 mags, last 6 mags no FTFs and 4 FTFs (Blazer) in the next 15 rounds, mags 1, 2 and 3. Shut it down at that point.

3.) All FTFs had the off center (far off center) primer strikes

The FTFs seemed to be increasing in frequency as the round count went up. Just glad I happened to see the damage to firing pin and get some pics to send to SA.
Yeah got it from Gilbert's so im sure mine is from the same batch. I'll have to keep an eye on the firing pin but I'll say that I looked at each of the trouble rounds and they had the exact same issue as you stated, way off center strike which made me wonder if the round isn't getting loaded into the chamber properly. I'll keep my eye on your report from Springfield. I'm sure theyll make it right but it sure does suck.

#40 ·
Yeah got it from Gilbert's so im sure mine is from the same batch. I'll have to keep an eye on the firing pin but I'll say that I looked at each of the trouble rounds and they had the exact same issue as you stated, way off center strike which made me wonder if the round isn't getting loaded into the chamber properly. I'll keep my eye on your report from Springfield. I'm sure theyll make it right but it sure does suck.
Don't know if you saw it, but here is my post about the off center primer strike FTFs w/ pics. I have to think the damage to the firing pin has something to do with the FTFs.

BTW my serial # is XS505xxx

#41 ·
I don't have one yet, but have an idea.

The barrel tilts slightly as the slide is pulled back. So if the gun doesn't return to battery, then the chamber is sitting slightly lower, and could be causing these off center strikes.

Next time you are shooting, after each shot, give the slide a quick push from the rear to be sure it is not hanging up slightly and is fully returned to battery.

#42 ·
Uga...Since we may have seem to gotten XDS's close in serial # let me know if you pull out the striker assembly and see any damage where my pics show.
Saluki, I took a look at my pin and I have something similar going on at the sme spot. Mine is not as bad as yours but it has only had 55 rounds or so. Serial number 505xxx.....we have something bad going on I believe.

#43 ·
I don't have one yet, but have an idea.

The barrel tilts slightly as the slide is pulled back. So if the gun doesn't return to battery, then the chamber is sitting slightly lower, and could be causing these off center strikes.

Next time you are shooting, after each shot, give the slide a quick push from the rear to be sure it is not hanging up slightly and is fully returned to battery.
Thanks for the idea. I did check if the rounds went fully into battery after each shot. They did. Slide was tight in battery. The firing pin on the XDS is oval/rectangular with the long side East to West, or left to right. All my light strikes are centered East to West (left to right) on center of the primer, and off center (high?). If the round was shallow due to not being fully in battery, I would guess that the primer strike could be centered, but high. The damage to the firing pin is opposite to the high side strike. Still makes me think it is pushing the firing pin up to the high strike position.

One thing I have learned over the years...the root cause of the problem is rarely ever singular, but rather a combination of causes.

Good input. I will mention this as well to SA in the morning.

#44 ·
Saluki, I took a look at my pin and I have something similar going on at the sme spot. Mine is not as bad as yours but it has only had 55 rounds or so. Serial number 505xxx.....we have something bad going on I believe.
I am calling SA in the morning and emailing w/pics. Please do the same if you can/have the time and post what SA says. I will be posting what I find out as well.

#45 ·
Spoke with Vicky (very nice lady) at SA. Explained the issues I (and other XDS owners) am having with the light strikes and firing pin damage. Vicky wanted to speak with a tech (Brad) prior to sending a FedEx return label.

Brad told Vicky (I was not given the opportunity to speak directly with him) that the light strikes seem like the gun is not going into full battery, but had no comment about the firing pin damage. I told Vicky I had pictures of the above and the off center primer strikes and would be glad to email them so that Brad can get a look at what I was describing. Vicky said that sending SA the pics wouldn't be necessary and that SA would rather have me send in the gun w/ a letter explaining my issues. No problem there, I will just cut 'n paste my postings...along w/ the pics.

I also let Vicky know of the FTF reports on the forum and that we are now tracking them by FTF and S/N if that would be helpful to SA. She replied "Hmmm...interesting." One other note. When Vicky asked me for the XDS's S/N...she said "XS? (starts with), I haven't heard of one of those yet."

So the XDS goes back to the mother ship. Hopefully, I can get it to FedEx this afternoon if my schedule allows. I will post updates as I get feedback from SA.

#46 ·
Serial XS501xxx. 10-15 failures to fire out of 250 rounds. I have fired 250 rounds with 4 different ammo types on two different days. Ammunition type does not seem to matter, I still have FTFs. I just wanted to add to the stats being gathered. I was disappointed to get back from the range and find that SA was already closed for the day, as I really need to get this fixed. Never had a problem like this before. Thanks for the very information packed thread. I hope I was able to contribute at least a little.

#47 ·
Serial XS501xxx. 10-15 failures to fire out of 250 rounds. I have fired 250 rounds with 4 different ammo types on two different days. Ammunition type does not seem to matter, I still have FTFs. I just wanted to add to the stats being gathered. I was disappointed to get back from the range and find that SA was already closed for the day, as I really need to get this fixed. Never had a problem like this before. Thanks for the very information packed thread. I hope I was able to contribute at least a little.
Please post your FTF experience in this thread so that I will can get you included in the data. Thanks for the input!

#48 ·
Spoke with Vicky (very nice lady) at SA. Explained the issues I (and other XDS owners) am having with the light strikes and firing pin damage. Vicky wanted to speak with a tech (Brad) prior to sending a FedEx return label.

Brad told Vicky (I was not given the opportunity to speak directly with him) that the light strikes seem like the gun is not going into full battery, but had no comment about the firing pin damage. I told Vicky I had pictures of the above and the off center primer strikes and would be glad to email them so that Brad can get a look at what I was describing. Vicky said that sending SA the pics wouldn't be necessary and that SA would rather have me send in the gun w/ a letter explaining my issues. No problem there, I will just cut 'n paste my postings...along w/ the pics.

I also let Vicky know of the FTF reports on the forum and that we are now tracking them by FTF and S/N if that would be helpful to SA. She replied "Hmmm...interesting." One other note. When Vicky asked me for the XDS's S/N...she said "XS? (starts with), I haven't heard of one of those yet."

So the XDS goes back to the mother ship. Hopefully, I can get it to FedEx this afternoon if my schedule allows. I will post updates as I get feedback from SA.
haha. I spoke with Vicky for a short period of time, I was tired of dealing with customer service and asked to speak with Dave Williams, one of the main techs on the XDS. She of course was on the line with us and I gave her my Serial Number as well. If I am not wrong, all of the XDS pistols start with XS. So she must not remember the one I called in about the other day.

#50 ·
Well...crap! This is not good. I had a range date (no rounds fired through gun yet), but am going to wait until an explanation/fix/recall about this dangerous issue surfaces from SA.

I really don't feel safe firing this weapon by myself, or in the presence of others, until the issue is identified and resolved. A defensive weapon that doesn't fire when called upon is nothing more than a rock you could throw at your assailant.

Am I alone in this thinking?

While I appreciate all the brave souls getting to the bottom of these off-center strikes, I hope everyone stays safe!

Here's hoping for a swift evaluation and fix from SA!

Slide too light? Spring too heavy? What do you professional gurus make of this?

#51 ·
Well...crap! This is not good. I had a range date (no rounds fired through gun yet), but am going to wait until an explanation/fix/recall about this dangerous issue surfaces from SA.

I really don't feel safe firing this weapon by myself, or in the presence of others, until the issue is identified and resolved. A defensive weapon that doesn't fire when called upon is nothing more than a rock you could throw at your assailant.

Am I alone in this thinking?

While I appreciate all the brave souls getting to the bottom of these off-center strikes, I hope everyone stays safe!

Here's hoping for a swift evaluation and fix from SA!

Slide too light? Spring too heavy? What do you professional gurus make of this?
You are being WAAAAAY to cautious. Go and fire it. If it clicks, hold it there for 10 seconds. No fire, drop the mag, cycle the round and continue on. Yours is most likely fine. Also if it isn't fine. Don't you want to know so you can send it off to get fixed ASAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.