Springfield XD Forum banner

Xds light strikes

34K views 133 replies 68 participants last post by  Toolman 
#1 ·
Has any one had trouble with light strikes on their xds, just had to send mine back because of numerous light strikes. I tried four different brands of ammo

#3 ·
Yes. 3 out pf 300. It seems tbat oil in the striker channel caused my issue. Clean and dry, it does fine.

#6 ·
Yes. 3 out pf 300. It seems tbat oil in the striker channel caused my issue. Clean and dry, it does fine.
I thought I'd borrow Saluki's post about this issue. It seems this is growing in popularity :confused:. IMHO I feel I am be beating the dead horse with this issue however. As stated many many times in other posts, my XDS was drenched in oil and grease!!! It "had to have a thorough striker channel cleaning prior to the first range trip"!!! Dont get me wrong, some can go straight to the range without a single issue. Depends on who assymbles your XD-S I guess? Some, however say they cleaned their gun first and it still malfunctioned. Of these, how many have taken the striker plate off and looked inside???? May be fine on the outside, but not on the inside! Mine was a MESS!!!!!!!!! GREASE,GREASE,GREASE!! Cleaned it "THOROUGHLY" before the first shot, and has ran like a sewing machine ever since.

Just thought I'd share this with those that might find it helpfull advice ;)

His post is as follows:

saluki6589
XDTalk Member

Member #: 69163

"Just picked up the XDS from the FFL this evening!

Got it home, broke it down, and gave it a thorough inside 'n out cleaning. I really like being able to get the striker out without having to pound out a roll pin. Striker plate removal is a breeze. Striker channel had a fair amount of factory grease that needed to be dealt with. "
[/URL]

Now, how many have taken this step if you are having light strikes???
There is no other way to clean the channel thoroughly!
Not saying the grease is 100% the culprit, but a damn good place to start! :cool:

#7 ·
I have been having light strikes for a month experiencing it on my reloads and CCI shot.

Facts:
XDm45 4.5"
Reload: WLP, 230 grain fmj, WST
Previously shot 1500 rounds mostly my reloads with no issues.
Springer trigger job - no spring changes.
Yes I cleaned the striker channel and no oil is there.
Changed to plus striker spring (springer) last week and had issue today once.
No, I haven't used any factory loads recently except the CCI shot testing.
Yes, CCI shot loads cycle the action.
Yes, the rounds shoot when trying again.

It has been suggested that WLP are "hard" primers. WTF?
I am at a loss. What next?

#8 · (Edited)
Just put the first 125 rds through the XDS. As 3shot noted I did scrub the you know what out of the striker channel before the gun ever saw the range.

Now for the function report. I shot in this order, no mixing brands...50rds then 50rds then 25rds.

1.) 50 rds Sellier & Bellot 230gr. NEVER shot this before (friend gave me a box for next to nothing, so I figured what the heck)
2.) 50 rds of Freedom Munitions Blaster 230gr
3.) 25 rds of Winchester Ranger T 230gr

I had TWO FTFs in the 50 rds of S&B. These were the first 50 rds shot out of this gun. I thought Uh Ooooh. When these happened [rd 23, mag 5 & rd 38, mag 8] I looked at the primers. Solid firing pin indentation, not light and matched primers from the previous rounds that went "BANG". So I loaded the rounds back in the mags immediately after the mag they came out of was empty. Chambered the rounds...and "BANG" both times.

Next up 50 rds of the Freedom Blasters. Zero failures of any kind. Primer strikes identical to those on the S&B rds.

Finally, the 50 rds of Winchester Rangers. Again, zero failures and same primer strike indentations as the S&B's and Freedoms.

So, my thought are this.

1.) Was it light primer strikes on the two S&B's? Doubtful, the primer indentations on the two FTFs were exactly the same as all other rounds that went "BANG".

2.) Was it hard primers? I have to say I am leaning this way given the first primer strikes on these rds looked exactly like all that went "BANG" the first time. They (S&B FTFs) went "BANG" on the second strike with no more deeper an indent strike than the initial FTF primer strike.

Given #1 &#2, and ALL Freedom Blaster and Winchester Rangers went "BANG" first try, and adding to this that I scrubbed the firing pin channel AND striker assembly prior to first shots... For now, I have to conclude the FTFs were ammo related and not the fault of the XDS even though the round/brand count is low (125 total, 3 brands).

I will continue to run 50 rds of different brands (UMC, WWB AE etc as well as S&B again) to find out if the FTFs are repeatable. If I cannot reproduce the FTFs, then I will feel comfortable with the XDS as an EDC after the 500 rd count.

#11 ·
Could someone post a photo showing the location of the striker channel with the gun field stripped, with a pen or something pointing at the channel? I've read you're not supposed to lube the striker channel (I only use CLP to clean my XD SC and Tetra grease on the rails), but I guess I need to know exactly where not to spray the CLP. Thanks!

#12 ·
Could someone post a photo showing the location of the striker channel with the gun field stripped, with a pen or something pointing at the channel? I've read you're not supposed to lube the striker channel (I only use CLP to clean my XD SC and Tetra grease on the rails), but I guess I need to know exactly where not to spray the CLP. Thanks!
Do not get oil in the hole in the breech face (where the firing pin protrudes).

I am not where I can photo document it at the time, but removal is simple. Look in your XD-S owner's manual on pg 33. Is as follows:
Remove slide. You have to remove the striker locking plate part # 25.
To do this you must press in the little tab on the top of the locking plate part # 27 (It's the little square you see in the top of the plate). While pressing this tab in, slide the plate down and there you have it. There is a little tension, but the striker spring won't come flying out.
Now you can THOROUGHLY clean the striker channel :cool:. You will see the black oily fouling paste that has accumilated from firing. Especially if the factory grease was never removed prior to first firing the pistol! Re-assymbly is reverse of above. A "LIGHT" oily film is acceptable in the channel. And I mean very light!! You dont want it to rust.

#13 ·
That was quick! Okay, so in my book part #25 is the Striker Safety Lever. So I field strip the gun, first removing the locking plate (#27), then the striker safety lever (#25), and then I take out the striker (#31)? Will the spring (#34) come out too? And the channel is where the striker and spring came from?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but have never gone further than field stripping my XD and would hate to render it inoperable...

#14 ·
The channel is Melonite coated. No more likely to rust than the rest of the slide. Bone dry gets my vote.

#15 ·
That was quick! Okay, so in my book part #25 is the Striker Safety Lever. So I field strip the gun, first removing the locking plate (#27), then the striker safety lever (#25), and then I take out the striker (#31)? Will the spring (#34) come out too? And the channel is where the striker and spring came from?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but have never gone further than field stripping my XD and would hate to render it inoperable...
Not sure what you just posted :confused: :confused: :confused:.
Your numbers do not add up:roll:

#17 ·
Tara, My post was for the XD-S! Not XD. We are in the XD-S forum:oops:

Please move your post's to correct forum. Not being a smart @ZZ, just need to keep the thread on tract to avoid confusion!

#19 ·
Sorry, I guess I should have posted my question there, but I thought the striker channel would be the same for both guns... Just proves that I am an "XD Talk Newbie"!
No problem ;). XD-S, and XD are totaly different internals

We are all here to learn something new everyday.

#21 ·
Help, How do you remove the Striker Locking Plate?
Never mind, got it. pretty simple

#24 ·
Do not get oil in the hole in the breech face (where the firing pin protrudes).
^+1 on this. Oil here creates a carbon magnet!

The channel is Melonite coated. No more likely to rust than the rest of the slide. Bone dry gets my vote.
The XDS striker channel is “stepped” having a larger diameter where the striker spring rides, and a smaller diameter where the firing pin shoulder rides.

Larger Diameter
You can use a “T” handle section of a cleaning rod, .22LR patch holder and a patch to clean this area. I folded both ends of the patch over the top of the patch holder to create a “ball” to get better surface area contact with the channel. I used Hoppe’s #9 and it took about 10 wet/dry patches until I ended up with a clean dry patch. Not that much cosmolene in this area, but definitely dirty enough to need a cleaning.

Smaller Diameter
You should be able to see the patch in the firing pin hole from the breach face of the slide, but you won’t be able to. The .22LR patch holder is too large to get into the smaller diameter. Luckily, a Q-Tip (fluffed a bit) is. You will be able to see the Q-Tip in the firing pin hole from the breach face. Fits in the smaller diameter and gets good enough contact with the channel surface for cleaning. Plus, the Q-Tip is long enough to extend past the back of the slide to get a grip on so that you can rotate it. Did the same as with the patch, Hoppe’s #9 and wet/dry Q-Tips. There was a significant amount of cosmolene in this are. Took about 15 wet/dry Q-Tips to get to a clean one.

Lubing
The only thing I wanted oil applied to was the outer surface of the striker spring. Wiped it down with a rag lightly oiled with Hoppe’s, and then wiped it clean with a dry rag. Just wanted as thin a film of oil as possible. Even though the channel is Melonite coated and won't rust, the spring travels (compresses) against the inside of the diameter so there will be friction. The spring retaining clip also rides this surface (plus minimizes blow back gasses into the larger diameter of the channel). Just felt the slightest film of oil might help reduce friction.

Hope this helps.

#25 ·
With a Springfield XD -- cleaning + new gun + malfunctions = send it back .

There are many who's xds is flawless ... If your having light strikes out of the box with an XD of any kind , I would not deem it reliable .

It doesn't seem like a huge issue -- most are fine. That being said , please send it back and let SA take care of you guys. These are not hipoints or raven arms.

They are $600 carry firearms designed to do one thing -- shoot. It should be perfect.

#26 ·
This is probably a dumb question, but is it safe to use brake cleaner on the slide to clean the striker channel? I use it on my 1911 when I clean it but I'm not familiar with the "Melonite" coating and don't want to screw it up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.