Springfield XD Forum banner

XDS 9MM. NOT FIRING

9K views 36 replies 9 participants last post by  chipper67 
#1 ·
My xds 9 mm won't fire off round. It only makes tiny indentation on primer. Trigger won't reset? Tried it several times ,with same results.Anyone got and idea by chance. It's my c.c. and didn't know it wasn't firing till range time and it's been 2 mo. since I was at the range and it fired great/

#3 ·
I had a similar issue with my XDS 45. Thought it was Federal ammo and sent the rounds to them to check. Turns out the firing pin was not hitting the Federal primer hard enough, even though other brands did not seem to have an issue.

Solution- installed a heavier firing pin spring. No problem afterwards.

#10 ·
Start simple first. What ammo are you using and are they reloads. Did you cycle the ammo though twice to see if they would ignite a second time?

If the slide does not cycle the trigger will not reset.....one problem solved.
Tried two types of ammo. and cycled same round twice etc.No reloads for this kid.
Start simple first. What ammo are you using and are they reloads. Did you cycle the ammo though twice to see if they would ignite a second time?

If the slide does not cycle the trigger will not reset.....one problem solved.

#23 ·
That strike is dead center yet looks very light. I think you should verify the striker moves freely as I suggested. If it doesn't move freely then cleaning out the channel would be next as a possible fix. If it is already moving freely then it's possible (though unlikely) your trigger bar somehow is not lifting the striker block out of the way fully during firing. In any event this is beyond my ability to remotely diagnose, and I'd suggest following up with other more knowledgeable posters and of course Springfield.

#25 ·
Just curious, but did you install different springs like the PRP spring kit? The primers look just like the ones I experienced with the lighter springs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#26 ·
That strike is dead center yet looks very light. I think you should verify the striker moves freely as I suggested. If it doesn't move freely then cleaning out the channel would be next as a possible fix. If it is already moving freely then it's possible (though unlikely) your trigger bar somehow is not lifting the striker block out of the way fully during firing. In any event this is beyond my ability to remotely diagnose, and I'd suggest following up with other more knowledgeable posters and of course Springfield.
Thanks for your help.
I cleaned the entire thing last night with gunsmith, found not a thing wrong..I went back to range this morning and put same rounds back in and a couple new ones from box of Winchester 9mm. Same thing. Now this is the kicker. I put in Remingtons which I didn;t have at range yesterday and low and behold shot 45 rounds without a misfire.??I have 10 rounds of Winchester with strikes on primer and nothing happened ?

#27 ·
I cleaned the entire thing last night with gunsmith, found not a thing wrong
Did you or he remove the striker assembly from the slide, thoroughly clean the striker, spring, guide and channel (preferably with something like alcohol or another cleaning agent that leaves no residue), and then reassemble *without* ANY lube? See these images:

Normal field strip and clean won't include the striker assembly, is why I'm asking, and it is the most likely culprit.

#31 ·
^ Sorry, (W)inchester (W)hite (B)ox.

It looks like you may just have a box of ammo whose tolerances are not playing well with the tolerances of your specific gun or that this box may contain some defective ammo. You may want to hold off bulk-buys of Winchester ammo of the specific type that you're now seeing trouble with, and either only dip into them occasionally by splitting a box with a friend or only if you have other 9mm handguns that shoot this ammo well.

#32 ·
I WILL NOT BUY WWB AMMO EVER AGAIN.
ONLY malfunctions with my Shield was/has been with that crap Ammo.
Every other thing I have run has worked 100%.

Solution to your issue is steer clear of wwb. Plenty of other reliable ammo out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Close to 42K of WWB 9x19 over the last 5 years. My failure rate is around 0.3% (zero-point-three percent).

In my limited experience, it's no different than any other range fodder in terms of reliability-of-ignition.

Range fodder is just range-fodder. People get too hung up about a certain brand being "dirty" or being perceived as less reliable or less accurate. At that price-point, in all honesty, everything is about the same, and it's much more about specific-gun-to-specific-ammo considerations. Each gun is unique, and the end-user should do their own due to determine what bulk range-fodder works best - both in terms of reliable function as well as external ballistics - for their specific and unique gun, the gun that is in their own hands.

#35 ·
I ran into a similar issue with a new, out of the box XDS 9mm: off-center, out-of-battery light primer strikes on a regular basis (~20-25% of the time), regardless of ammo used. After verifying that the striker channel and components were clean, dry, and free of lubricant, I sent it back to SA. They identified an out-of-spec extractor spring, adjusted the tension, and sent it back. Problem solved. So while I grant that these failures CAN be ammo-related or caused by gunk in the striker channel...the extractor can also be an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.