XDS-9 My Major Malfunction 7 Rounds Full Auto - UPDATE / Now Safety Recall

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by Facilitator, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Facilitator

Facilitator XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay so I reported some difficulty I was having with the XDS-9 trigger not resetting, on XDTalk here:
    http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/238150-xds-9-ok-i-stupid.html
    and got the normal "it's not the gun; clean it; etc". So I was limping it along thinking the problems would correct with break-in. Not so. My XSD is on the way back to Springfield Armory. Here's most of the written description they asked for:

Since purchase of the gun 5/31/13 I have had problems with the trigger assembly not always returning forward upon insertion of the magazine and release of the slide. I tried to remedy the situation by thoroughly cleaning in the trigger assembly area. However it seemed to recur each time I returned to the range. Generally I would field strip the slide and work the trigger assembly back and forth and upon reassembly could proceed to shoot with no issues, until the next time at the range.

Today when I got to the range the trigger assembly was again hung up. I field stripped the gun and worked the trigger assembly and reassembled the slide. I reinserted a full magazine of 7 rounds. When I released the slide the gun went full auto and unloaded all 7 rounds. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I had the gun pointed downrange but was not prepared for the recoil. One of the rounds hit the metal border on the shooting bench in front of me. Shrapnel from that round tore through my range bag creating many holes, shooting through an electronic pair of ear muffs, and marring the finish on my XDM-9 slide. The first rounds shot horizontally just across the top of the shooting bench as shown by the damage to the pile of targets that were laying there on the bench.

Through the seven rounds I was able to hold on to the gun and keep it pointed down range and aside from shrapnel marks on my pants, luckily no personal bodily damage occurred.
    :|

I'll not add much more here to keep this from getting too long. Although I always have a good grip on my guns I was not prepared for 7 shots in .5 seconds. Had the recoil flipped the gun some of those rounds could have been in my head. I was in such shock I cannot tell you where my right-hand trigger finger was after the incident, only that it was NOT inside the trigger guard when I released the slide; I've been shooting guns now for 40 years so I'm experienced and know better.

Springfield will check out the gun, hopefully replace the whole thing. They asked for photos of all the damage and will refinish my XDM slide.

I got more religion today. When you hear 'em say somebody was looking out for you today, well... I've lived that. If you want, see pics of the collateral damage here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xtf7ig2dersu0ll/Tu3e9rynNX

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. HoJo

HoJo XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Glad nobody was hurt. Too bad you didn't get video of it. Has your pulse returned to normal yet?

3. slowdc5

slowdc5 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Man glad your okay. That would have scared the crap outta me

4. slugger6

slugger6 XDTalk 85K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +179 / 3
    Pics?

5. Facilitator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No, my pulse has not yet returned to normal.

{Edit: I've since lost some sleep over it too.}

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  6. Facilitator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    See the OP... there's a link at the bottom.

7. MarkB

MarkB XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Damn! Springfield needs to fix that or ship you a shoulder stock attachment!

8. derek1387

derek1387 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Be glad the ATF or Sheriff wasnt there!

Glad all is well. Get that gun back to Springfield and let them service it

9. HoJo

HoJo XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's also a good thing it wasn't in your house. Can you imagine reloading after a cleaning and having that happen?

10. twowinns

twowinns XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow Randy. That's scary just thinking about it. Thank God you weren't hurt. I feel a little guilty for referring you to the dealer that sold it to you. That could have been me.

Same thing happened to a guy at our IDPA club match a few weeks ago. He was shooting a Glock, though.

I hope Springfield gets you a replacement soon.

11. Facilitator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Scott - no big deal on your part. It could have been anybody! I'll keep you informed on what I hear from them. This happened before 2:00 pm. It was at FedEx on the way to IL by 4:30 pm. :smile:

12. nickthegeek

nickthegeek XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Holy crap, that's nuts. Thankfully no one was hurt. Sobering reminder of always maintaining muzzle awareness.

13. Bamaxd9

Bamaxd9 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You were limp wristing it. Glad youre ok;-)

14. beachz

beachz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, I don't even know what to say. I am just glad no one was seriously injured or worse! Kudos for maintaining control of the firearm during that event!

15. Stratajema

Stratajema XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OP, the XDS striker is in the half-cocked position when the slide is released.

So:

1. The striker repeatedly caught on and then fell off the sear with the striker block safety disengaged because of the rear, stuck position of the trigger. This is an unlikely scenario because a half-cocked striker in itself is suppose to be a safety feature, or perhaps it is not the safety feature we've been lead to believe.

Or

2. The striker was stuck in the forward (protruding) position. Given the sequence of events, it would have had to get stuck on the very last round fired before you removed the slide from the frame.

I find it odd that there is no mention of #2 in your post. Surely a protruding striker would have been the first observation to make after this incident. Can you shed some light on this?