XDMc trigger

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Late4ttime, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Late4ttime

Late4ttime XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I noticed something about my XDM trigger vs. my old Glock 22. I went shooting yesterday (posted a thread in range reports) and on the reset- there is some "play" before I encountered some resistance. On my Glock- when the trigger reset- it was ready to drop the striker- my XDM still has a little travel "after" reset to drop the striker.

Just so there isn't any confusion- by reset I mean- after pulling the trigger, I'm only letting it back out until it clicks- NOT all the way out as if taking my finger off the trigger. Is this normal for an XDM? Will a trigger job adjust the "reset" to the point where it encounters the tension?

Late-

2. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Springer precision trigger job will take out all the slop, reduce trigger travel, reset, and pull weight.

3. bel970

bel970 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not entirely sure what your getting at but I'll give my take on it, take it for what it's worth: your comparing to entirely different trigger systems. the glock has a very positive reset because the striker spring pushes the trigger bar forward to the reset point, the xdm uses a spring that both pushes the trigger bar up and forward splitting the energy of the spring in 2 directions.

with the glock the reset is usually very short because at the reset point the striker safety is nearly disengaged as the arm (a fixed part of the trigger bar) has already made contact with the striker safety as part of the take up in the trigger pull, as soon as the slide moves out of battery the connector is pushed left allowing the trigger bar to pop up and catch the striker before the slide returns, the trigger bar needs only to move far enough forward to clear the ramp on the connector to allow the connector to pop back to the right resetting the trigger. with a OT stop the glock reset is or at least to me feels a little shorter (and always more positive) of a reset when compared to the xd (even after a trigger job). the factory connector and trigger bar have so much OT the reset feels pretty long because the trigger bar moves further back than it needs to so it must travel further forward to reset (same goes for the xd system on that point).

with the xd/sig system the trigger bar is pushed down below the striker safety lever arm when out of battery, the trigger must move far enough forward to slip past the arm reengage it, the arm must travel up far enough to first deactivate the striker safety then engage and drop the sear.

even with more mechanical interactions and possibly a longer reset the xd/xdm shines in that it doesn't have the funny mushy feel of the trigger and striker spring fighting each other in the glock. I happen to like aspects of both triggers, the xd/xdm to really benefit from springer or prp triggers.

4. Late4ttime

Late4ttime XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  5. bel970

bel970 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok I didn't pay close attention but most of what I saw was just take up that had nothing to do with the reset point, mechanical slop from generous tolerances of mass manufacturing. yes trigger jobs will take care of that, the distance the trigger will need to travel before it begins to engage the striker safety lever will be greatly reduced. more importantly the over travel will be taken out, making the reset seem much shorter and the distance that the trigger travels while engaging the sear will seem shorter as well. technically the trigger will travel the same distance needed to complete the same action before the trigger job but by removing the slop before engaging the safety lever/sear and past the point the sear breaks really makes a dramatic difference.

6. Late4ttime

Late4ttime XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Bro-N-Law has his FFL and several gun-smithing certifications under his belt (he also builds custom AR-15's) anyway- thankfully for me- his next class is a Springfield XD/XDM certification and he thinks they will teach him how to do a trigger job the way that Springfield does it anyway- is that vastly different then what Springer does? Its hard to pass up free- especially since I wont have to give up my gun for a week or two.

Late-

7. bel970

bel970 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    free is good. I've yet to see a SA trigger job on a xd/xdm, not sure how the approach it. I would think that they would use a OT stop like PRP uses, there is more than one way to approach the take up problem, springer uses a replacement trigger bar and sear (trigger bar also is the OT stop) PRP uses a safety lever in between, silver solder can also be used, more than one way to skin a cat. If your bro-n-law has any experience working on the Sig p series he'll pretty much know what to do already, just swap the sear to engage a striker on the top instead of a hammer on the bottom and you have the xd/xdm.

AR's are an easy build, fun and quick, get him to teach you that too.

8. LJenkmd

LJenkmd XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    PRP does a great trigger job and their turn around is excellent.

9. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    PRP may do a great job, but they made the new kits so darn easy there is little to no reason to use them to install it. Just buy the ultimate kit and DIY.

10. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    When PRP does a trigger job they do not install the kit.

They do their own trigger job.

don

11. mistercoffee2

mistercoffee2 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What are you saying?

I thought when PRP or Springer did the trigger they replaced the Springfield parts with their own. The same parts they sale in a kit.

Is that not true?

12. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    No. They do not install the trigger kits that they sell for user installation. They do a traditional trigger job. They may use some of the same parts but do more fitting and polishing then just installing the kits.

SA does not sell trigger kits, they do trigger jobs.

don