XDM9 5.25 Honey moon is over

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Broncman, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Jan 4, 2017 #1
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    OK, the real work has begun! Got about 1200 Rds down the tube and time to settle in for the long haul.

Plans for this gun will eventually migrate to a USPSA open style gun even though it is a 9. Only work done to it so far is a Vortex Venom on a Springer base that has been bedded to the slide. Been having fun banging steel on my home range but ready to get back to work on it.

First thing will be a Springer trigger setup. This trigger is perhaps the worse trigger I have! Unbelievable take-up and mushy with no clean break. My XD45 has much better factory trigger. My XDS9 has a much cleaner break and no mush. Oh well.

Been working up handloads tonight with Hornady HAP , Clays Universal and HS 6 powder. Started at 1.07" OAL and went to 1.12". Accuracy got better as OAL got longer. More to do. Hopefully new trigger and more practice on my grip will shrink them even more.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jan 4, 2017 #2
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    That pic above was with Universal at 25 yards. Take out the two flyers and that is 2.5". But in real life,,, you have to keep flyers!

Did some measuring on my barrel and clearances. Little disappointed in the fit. Got 5 thousandths side to side clearance in the barrel hood lugs a the breech face. Some clearance on the bottom of the lug and pad as well. It will get a Bar Stock barrel soon as well.

This was HS6 . 2 spoilers as well. My grip can definitely be improved on. These were not shot using bags or a rest either. Only "rest" was simply resting my hands on the bench.

[​IMG]

New TIG machine is on the way, since the barrel is being replaced, gonna play with this one and weld up the pad and breech face lugs. See what I can do. Have done several 1911's, but this will be my first XD

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #3
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,126 / 7
    Cool! I'm definitely going to continually check in on this one!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jan 12, 2017 #4
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    [​IMG]

Waiting on some goodies from Springer now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Jan 12, 2017 #5
    AR180B

AR180B XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +4,946 / 9
    I like the looks of that. I want to put some kinda grip on mind but I think I'll just mess it up. That looks good though!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jan 12, 2017 #6
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Thanks! I went to Lowe's and bought a large stair tread grip tape for $6. More than enough for 2-3 pistols. Waiting on trigger parts from Springer and some KG gunkote for some custom artwork on the slide.

Love playing with the airbrush and this one is going to be something I have wanted to do for a long time. Think aircraft nose art and P51 Mustang.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jan 12, 2017 #7
    AR180B

AR180B XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +4,946 / 9
    I run an airbrush too. I've got models all over the house that I've built. I had a lot more but the estranged wife decided to go on a smashing party so I lost a bunch of them. I still have my Kelly Johnson Section thought intact. I love doing the various types of camo.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jan 13, 2017 #8
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    More load testing. Tightened up barrel fit with a weld on the bottom lug. Ground back downtown to good reliable fit.

HS-6 and HAP 115's at 25 yards

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jan 17, 2017 #9
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Springer goodies arrived. Racker, trigger, and trigger kit. First impressions ... I wished it had kept trigger all the way forward. It puts it in too close for my hand size. Will see, might get used to it. Also, it did not shorten the sear engagement from what I can tell. Was really wishing it had of.

The good.... Shortened take-up and reset a lot! No over travel either.

Racker on the left presents a take down issue. The takedown lever has to be rotated back down in the slide stop recess to clear the racker. No biggy, just makes it a 2 step process.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jan 17, 2017 #10
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    [​IMG]

15 yards no rest, just 2 hand isoceles grip. Trigger was very nice. Did not even notice it if that makes since. If I notice the trigger, either creep or heavy long pull, then I becomes part of the equation for me. I want a trigger to be "non-existent" . Pull, bang! Don't pull till ready and never slap. Pull should be almost subconscious .

• Like Like x 1