XDm9 5.25 Competition Series Report

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by lokihunter, Feb 14, 2012.

1. lokihunter

lokihunter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK all, truth in lending here.... I am a 1911 fan first and foremost.

BUT...I have to say, the second I picked up the new XDm 9 5.25, I was sold. This gun has the closest feel to the 1911 of any polymer gun. I was so impressed, I bought it right out from under another guy in the gun store.

I made some mods to the gun, broke it in, developed a load specific to the gun and went out to see what it could really do.

Let me show you the target then I will go over what I did to the gun and my load data. I shot 100 rounds total standing off hand. The first 10 went through the chrono, the next 89 went into A zone and the last shot went into the head....OK so I got cocky and pulled the shot due to rushing the shot....lesson learned. Shots were fired at 10 yards at about 1 shot per second then reloading a single mag over and over again (for a bit of a break).

OK so here is the final target:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here it is at 10 yards from where I was shooting:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, this gun is wicked accurate. That is 89 rounds in a 2.5" group shot standing....not from a rest. It may be the most accurate gun I have ever had in my hand.

I am already being harassed by my 1911 buddies so it kills me to admit how good this gun really is....so much so that my 1911 is collecting dust because I just want to shoot this thing. I really like this thing and it has become my new go to game gun.

As for the gun mods:
    1) I stippled the grip and under the trigger guard
    2) I installed a drop in PRP trigger kit (just the drop in model)
    3) I added a Canyon Creek Custom Tungsten guide rod
    4) I installed a .100 Dawson Precision fiber optic front sight

As for my load data (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!)
    Case: Win
    Primer: CCI SPP
    Powder: 3.4 grains of WST
    Bullet: 147 grain Precision Black Bullet
    COAL: 1.120
    Velocity: 885fps
    Power Factor: 130

I think Springfield really delivered here. They built a platform that can be easily and cheaply upgraded to a true match gun. By the way, I now have about 3000 rounds through the gun without a single FTF or FTE/E. I did have a single primer fail to go off but that can't be blamed on the gun...it had a really good primer strike.

Hope this range report helps folks......

2. lokihunter

lokihunter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would highly recommend the Dawson front sight....it will shrink your groups by half with some practice. The tungsten guide rod will really do away with recoil....my front sight never leaves the target out to 25 yards. I am still better with my 1911 but this gun and I have a "thang going on..." I love it.

3. lokihunter

lokihunter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $39 and it just pushes on...they even send the tool with the sight.....it is bright and easy to pick up but it is also thin enough to be able to see both sides of your target....4" steel at 25 yards is very....very doable.... never easy at that range but first...second shot max

4. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    I'm guessing that this isn't your first trip to the range! NICE group.

If the 1911 guys keep on you, you'll have to shoot for "pinks" like they street rod'ers used to do. If they fall for it, you'll get a pretty nice collection of THEIR guns.

5. lokihunter

lokihunter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got it straight from Dawson....call them and they will make sure you get the right part number. The tool is a shaped piece of aluminum so you can hammer out the old sight and hammer in the new one.... using the word hammer loosely.... tap is probably a better description...but with a hammer. Any gunsmith can do it for you in less than an hour...probably 15 minutes or so. The tool is right in the sight package.... I have the same type of sight on all of my 1911s and my 525 9mm and I also got a 45 ACP version.....for 3Gun...but don't tell my buddies or I will never hear the end of it.

6. lokihunter

lokihunter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks..... believe it or not....this is not all that good for me... my eyes are going and my front sight is now blurry (even when I am focused on it). To add insult to injury, I trained up my 13 year old and he can kick my butt now.... don't laugh... he won the USPSA Multigun Junior National Championship last year and is placing in the top 15 overall with the adult competitors.... here is a link to his YouTube channel.... he is really good...

tripletapjake's Channel - YouTube

It would not matter if I won a bunch of guns.... he thinks everything that comes into the house is his be default.... he has never met a gun he didn't like...or couldn't make sing.....

7. Moebius

Moebius XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's the understatement of the (new) year, he's awesome! I wish I was that composed under pressure, and I'm almost 50.

8. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    Yeah, he is good.

(Must have had a good instructor ;))

Being over 50, I'm just happy to not be compost under pressure because it's probably too late to be composed...

9. psubowhunter

psubowhunter XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

You sound like me I got my XDm 5.25 last night it's my third XD ( I also own a compact XD in 9mm and the new XDm 3.8 in .45).

The 5.25 is IMPRESSIVE I shot one 5 shot group off hand last night that was less then 1 inch at 10 yards with Federal Hydro shock 124gr ammo

Never thought I would like a plastic gun but the XD platform has converted me ;) They feel like my 1911's they eat EVERYTHING in the ammo box heck I can't remember the last time one had a malfunction whats not to like I am and XD /XDm FAN NOW.

10. lokihunter

lokihunter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I picked up the 45 ACP version of the 525 as well and did all of the same mods.... I did learn one thing about the drop in trigger, if you use the striker spring with the blue mark, you can have a few light primer strikes...swap it out with the other spring in the package and you are running flawlessly again.

I think I like the 9mm grip a bit better than the 45 ACP grip but that is just a feel issue. The 9mm feels like my 1911 grip, the 45 is just slightly off.....but not so much that I don't love the gun. BUT...given my 1911 vs the XDm 45 5.25, my 1911 is better. ..... the 9mm is where this gun really shines above everything else out there (for the money)....you can buy a custom gun that is better, but not for the money. The XDm9 5.25 is probably the best gun out there for the money right now.....just my opinion

11. markjaey

markjaey XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't the 5.25s come with adjustable rear, and FO front, sights? If so, why did you swap out the factory sights? Is the difference between the two that significant?

12. lokihunter

lokihunter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Dawson .100 wide front fiber optic is a dramatic improvement.... the rears are stock. The thiner blade allow you to see your target more clearly and gives you a finer aiming point.... hence the tight group for 89 rounds. The stock front sight is still good and really quick to pick up but it is too wide for high precision shooting.... and I am a 3Gunner not a bullseye shooter....but MGM 4" knock overs (thanks a lot Mike!!!) at 15+ yards don't go down easily with wide front sights.....and those are becoming very popular at 3Gun matches because they are so cheap to buy.....

13. lokihunter

lokihunter XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After 1000 rounds.... it runs even better...follow up shots are faster and accuracy seems to be so consistent that shooting at 4" steel knock overs at 15 yards are simply too easy now....and the trigger is silky smooth....I highly recommend this gun to anyone who wants top shelf competition level performance on a Glock budget

14. MRH

MRH XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If your front sight turns out to a little stuborn you may need a steel punch to remove it as the punch that comes with the sight is an aluminum punch, it works great for instalation but not always so great for removal.:D