XDm vs. M&P .40

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by CSI, Nov 1, 2009.

1. CSI

CSI XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own both the SA XDm, and a S&W M&P in .40 and have carried both as duty weapons. Both are great guns and it comes down to personal preference. However, I'd like to talk about the negatives of each pistol.

XDm .40
    1. A full magazine makes it impossible to use the magazine release button. Because of the increased pressure against the frame, you can't eject a magazine that is fully loaded UNLESS you lock the slide to the rear.

2. The more bells and whistles a pistol has, the more complex it can be to use. I personally do not like grip safeties, loaded chamber indicators, or anything else that is not related to combat pistol shooting.

I want a pistol that is hot and ready to go right out of the holster. People say they like the LCI because they can feel if the pistol is loaded. I'm a cop, so mine is ALWAYS loaded.

3. The trigger leaves something to be desired. It has the feel of a "long pull" and causes alot of people to jerk or anticipate the shot, thus throwing their aim off to the left (or right if left handed).

4. It's not an easily concealed pistol because of the size, but for duty use it is fine. It does typically weigh ~8oz. more than other .40s of the same class.

M&P .40
    1. The first time mine got wet from being out in the rain on duty, the slide near the rear sight started to rust. A quick coat of oil solved this problem and removed the rust.

2. I missed out on the 2 free magazines offer because I bought mine the month they were introduced into production, before the offer was available. S&W would not send me 2 free mags even after a letter praising the pistol for LE use. :(

3. I have medium sized hands, and with any of the 3 backstraps, my left thumb does not fit comfortably against the frame as it always hits the slide lock and feels awkward. The pistol could be 1/2" longer and would be fine.

Summary:
    Between the 2 for duty use, I have to go with the M&P. It feels better in the hand and the point of aim is more true. The felt recoil in the .40 is noticeably less in the M&P and for the time being it has more accessories available in terms of sights, holsters, etc.

2. tazfootball2

tazfootball2 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found the easiest way to release a full mag is to put a little pressure on the butt end of the mag with my hand (doesn't take much), push the mag release button and the mag falls out with ease. Or your thumb needs to hit the weight-room.... :roll::wink::lol:

3. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Good subjective comparison.

4. CSI

CSI XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

You should NEVER have to do that, especially if you are a cop and/or military. In a gun fight, your fine motor skills tend to go bye-bye. We like to use the K.I.S.S. acronym:

Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid

SA needs to take a look at that and fix it if they want their XDm to be accepted by police.

5. Frenchy

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Why would you drop a fully-loaded mag in a fire-fight?

6. coachrose

coachrose XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My question too.

7. CSI

CSI XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What if your first shot is a misfeed, stove pipe, or double feed and the only way to correct it is to drop the mag, clear the chamber, and get back into the fight?

Now you have to add another element of trying to get the slide locked back in order to drop the mag, in an already tense situation. The more stress you add to clearing the gun while under fire is a recipe for a dead cop (or civilian).

Edit: let me elaborate...

You fire your first shot and it double feeds. To clear it, you need to (1) drop the magazine, (2) lock the slide back, (3) rotate and work the action. The problem is getting people to go from what they are trained to do (and have been for years, ie muscle memory) to locking the slide back FIRST and then going to the mag release, etc. when every other pistol (GLOCK, M&P, Sig, Walther, H&K, etc) follows steps 1-2-3 above. That 1 little step can and will cause people to "stress out" under fire and can result in injury/death because of an issue that should not be there in a combat pistol.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  8. mbpe912

mbpe912 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Leo here,

In a gun fight I'll take the XDM all though we just switched to the M&P 40 as well. I know the XD is very reliable I have had to many fte and ftf with the m&p. In a "fire fight" you shouldn't be dropping the mag untill slide lock. Hey man enjoy the M&P stay save. :)

9. Frenchy

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    Rack, tap, and go...part of the manual of arms in this situation.

10. CSI

CSI XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You don't rack, tap and go on a double feed.

11. CSI

CSI XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I've yet to have a malfunction with my M&P, and have put close to 3k rounds through it.

In all fairness, I have yet to have a malfunction with my XDm and have close to 500 through it.

Alot of it will be the ammo you are shooting.

12. Frenchy

Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    OK.

13. .45StillAlive

.45StillAlive XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    always wanted to try a M&P

14. thelongone13

thelongone13 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have yet to try an M&P, but I would be open to one. While there is a lack of the grip safety and if I wanted one it would be an extra step, but my main internal safety seems to work pretty well... lol. Sure, Smith makes the POS Sigma, but the M&P seems to be a MUCH higher quality gun than the Sigma, regardless of a crappy (IMO) trigger.

15. joshua79109

joshua79109 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great post. I'm glad you have found something you can feel comfortable with. I don't own an XDm (I have a few XDs). I like the XD and I have two that have lots of ammo through them with zero failures.

Earlier this year I wanted a new pistol for ssp in IDPA. The XD pushes to another class. I strongly considered the M&P and even shot one. I was very impressed and the M&P is very popular in that world. I don't think the game and real life for law enforcement always agree, but in the ssp class most of what you see is the same as what a leo would carry.

One place I like the XD over other brands is in the sub compact. It does have the extra mechanisms that some people don't like. It makes a good tool when concealment is the idea.