XDm vs Glock 19

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by beitzel15, Jul 4, 2010.

1. beitzel15

beitzel15 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    9mm, Glock 19 & XDm (4" or 3.8")

This is for people that have handled and shot both weapons.

Im looking to buy a new handgun and then get ccw & it's between these two pistols. Wanted something smaller, such as a LCP but when I held it, it was kinda too small for my hands.
    Since I havent wore the G19 and XD in a IWB holster, Im not sure how they'll conceal with average clothing (shorts/jeans & a shirt)

What are the difference in the two guns?

The glock is around $70-$90 cheaper than the XDm. The glock holds 15+1 compared to the XDm's 19+1 (is 4 rounds something to even consider in this case?)

Anyways, Im wondering, what does the XDm have/do that will justify spending close to $100 more on it, over a glock.....

Which one would be easier to conceal?

2. tom_d

tom_d XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have never actually shot a Glock of any kind, so I can't really give you a complete answer. Last year when I started looking for another pistol I started out looking at the Glocks mainly due to the hype surrounding them. The thing that put me off on them was when I racked the slide one day and almost got bitten by it. I decided that I would probably wind up with a bite sooner or later and asked to look at something else. I wound up with an XDm 9mm 4.5 in. and fell in love at first hold. It does conceal well in a Supertuck but like all full size pistols you have to dress around it or the grip prints a little. The XDm 9 was my first from Springfield but I have since purchased 2 more. The XD .45c is now my EDC. (Smaller grip size w/ the 10 round mag.) I have also recently acquired an XDm .45. I am happy with all of my XDs but you will have to decide for yourself what will work for you.

3. gordonw1

gordonw1 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have shot a few diffrent Golcks and I own a XD9 service. I would say that if you want a more realistic option for CC then I would go with a Glock 23 (or the 9mm version, dont know the model number right off) or XD sub compact. Im a bigger guy so usually concealing a service size XD isnt to bad for me. It all depends on what feels good in your hands and what you think you can conceal well.

4. beitzel15

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, Im 6"4, 200lbs.... if that'd matter in concealing a certain size gun?

I'd def. go with a sub compact version of a pistol if I didnt have big hands... I cant grip them well at all, and if ever had to use it... ehh, may not be too pretty.

5. AKC

AKC XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Glock 19 has a shorter grip so it will technically conceal better. I'm 5'10" 205lbs. And I CC my XDM 4.5 just fine as well as my Service 4" model. The Glock 19 is going to be closer in size to the Service model. You are a big dude so you may prefer the feel of the XDm. It's subjective. If you can shoot them both. Go with the one that you shoot the best. You may even try a 4" XD Service since a SC seems to be out of the question for you. Unless you own one already?

6. beitzel15

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I used to own a XD9 service and I liked it ok... just seemed top heavy to me. Other than that, i loved it.

7. xdfire

xdfire XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Glock 19s grip is shorter than the XDM 3.8, thats the part thats hard to conceal. The G19 fits better in my hand because it rides lower. I dont knoe what the guy was talking about with getting slide bitten on a glock, never seen that happen with a glock or XDM. Its all preference, but the 19 is going to conceal better and thats fact.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  8. beitzel15

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks.

Ive been bit by the slide on my .45 ruger

9. HogKiller

HogKiller XDTalk 100 Member

Peoples Republik of Kalifornia, SillyKoin Valley
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Having shot a Sig 226, Glock 17 and a XD, 50 rnds each, the difference between the XD and Glock was insignificant to me, the Glock seemed noticeably lighter. I'm one of the few that have a issue with the aiming/pointing of a SIG so it was out. I settled on the XD, it just felt better when I went back to buy.

10. sheepman

sheepman XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Either should conceal about the same, as to weather one is worth more than the other that is some thing only you can answer. Having shot Glocks longer I am biased but really you can't go wrong either way.

11. g.barnes

g.barnes XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    See if you can shoot them both and the you shoot better is the one you should go with. As far as carrying goes their close enough in size you could compensate with clothing. Feel in hand and accuracy the most important.

12. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    +1 for G. Barnes...... I cc a Glock 23. Tried to carry my XDM .40, and to me, it didn't work. See what you think after firing / carrying several of them. Unfortunately, it's going to come down to personal preference probably. Both of them the Xd/XDM - or Glock are good choices.

13. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Accuracy, yes, is important.

How it feels in the hand...not important at all; it has nothing to do in the slightest how any given pistol will perform for you.

You're buying a serious defensive tool, not a La-Z-Boy.

14. jn_fsu

jn_fsu XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK so i've owned the XDm 9mm 4.5, sold it, but i carry a XD.40SC. I've shot the XD.40SC a hell of alot better then the XDm 9mm from day one. Its a handle, finger trigger, placement thing... That being said I've shot reciently the G19C. I shot it better then my old XDm 9mm but not as well as my XD.40SC. My suggestion is shoot both see what works for you. Hopefully soon i'm taking my best friends G27 to the range to do an on hand test as to which works best...

15. g.barnes

g.barnes XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To me feel is a part of accuracy in a self defense situation. I've had guns I can shoot good with with proper aim but wasn't as good with with a quick grip like grabbing from a holster. What I meant was make sure you get something that fits your hand size comfortably on a quick grip not something you even have to think about how your holding it.

16. joshua79109

joshua79109 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like both Glock and XD.

My favorite is the XDsc.

My second favorite is the Glock 19.

I was interested in the XDM until I figured out that using an XD pushes a person out of ssp in IDPA. It didn't sound like that mattered to you, but thought it might help.

Good luck

17. FATSEXY

FATSEXY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The answer is the same every time these "vs" posts come up -- GET BOTH!

18. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Don't discount the G26, just because you have big hands. I have big hands and carry a G26 daily. With a Pearce extension for the pinky, it's still smaller than a G19. I also use a G19 mag with A&G sleeve with the G26. You can make the G26's grip larger; can't make the G19 smaller. :cool: The G26 handles recoil so well, and the 9mm recoils so little, that, even with a flush mag, the G26 is easy to control.

19. karlb

karlb XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My XD9 Service carried a LOT "bigger" than my Glock 19 does. The Glock has a slimmer slide and a shorter grip. My Glock 22(or Glock 17) is a lot closer in size to the XD9 than the compact 19. I can only guess the XDm is bigger than the Glock 17/22. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

20. RayMich

RayMich XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Both are excellent guns.

However, both my wife and I have shot the Glock 19 and neither one of us liked the G19. I ended up with the XDm and XDsc. The Springfield grip angle feels much more natural to me.

I have carried both the XDsc and the XDm in a CrossBreed SuperTuck as well as in a bellyband holster with no issues.

I do like the 19+1 capacity of the XDm 9mm. If you carry a couple of spare mags, you'll have 58 rounds ready to rock 'n roll. With the economy still barreling into the crapper, multiple BG attacks are becoming more and more common.

You can also get the Arredondo +3 mag extension for the XDm and end up with a 22 round mag capacity in your spare mags. :D