XDM Slide Finish

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by AaronXDM9, Mar 29, 2009.

1. AaronXDM9

AaronXDM9 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey gang,

I've only fired about 40 rounds through my new XDM9 so far and I already have knocked off a *small* part of the finish on the ejection port from an ejecting round.

I'm really dissappointed that this has happend with only about 40 rounds through it! I'm debating on calling SA. I just have a very hard time understanding how a quality firearms so easily marked up the finish with such little use.

I hate to say this I really really do but....I fired hunderds, 1k's of rounds through glocks I've owned without any marks on the finish resulting from ejected rounds. That being said I do feel the XD's offer more than the glock, but if the finish marks up this easily something has to change.

So what is the consensus here guys? Should I call Springfield and ask about the finish or should I just chalk this up to wear? But seriously 40 rounds......wear?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  2. apierce918

apierce918 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i doubt its the finish considering melonite is pretty much identical to tenifer on the glock.

the finish shouldnt "knock off" because it turns black as a result of the melonite process

have a pic?

3. TahoeMac

TahoeMac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Really need a pic here... so we can see what you're seeing before commenting.

4. AaronXDM9

AaronXDM9 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You could be right. I have not tried scrubbing it off...it could be just part of a casing leaving a mark which I can clean off (nickle casing). I had tried rubbing it off with no luck but that doesnt mean much. I guess I need to break out the clp and my AP brush. Heck I need to clean the bore any how. I wouldn't think the finish would have any issues it seems to be pretty tough. The mark is very small as I mentioned before. I'll give it a light scrub and see if it comes off.

5. apierce918

apierce918 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    thats probably it, i have thought i have scratched my slide several times on my XDm and my SC only to find out they disappear on me. i dont worry too much about them because i think they look cooler when they are all worn out looking :) most silver marks are metal from other things, rockwell hardness on melonite is pretty high

• Like Like x 1
  6. borjadxD.45svc

borjadxD.45svc XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think I have come across this which at first I thought was rust but may have just been frags of the casing. Didn't really see it at first until I was doing maintenance on it. I gently scrubbed it off with some very fine steel wool, cleaned it with solvent, then applied a good amount of oil/gun grease. Hmm..I might still have the pics of this. I'll get back to you all.

7. AaronXDM9

AaronXDM9 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well after a light scrub with my ap brush and some clp the mark wasnt really going anywhere so i stepped up the game and *lightly* used a bore brush....it finally gave and the mark is gone! WOOHOO!

I didn't mind the mark so much as I was concerned about the possibility of the finish being worn off. Ow well I feel like a tool bag for starting this thread but I had given it a good rub before I posted (it was just real stubborn).

Thanks for the post!! This site is awesome!

8. AaronXDM9

AaronXDM9 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You were dead on! Thanks for the post ;)!

9. borjadxD.45svc

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No prob. I was disappointed as you were but just glad it wasn't as bad as I thought. Still wanna post some pics so that all members get further maintenance tips for their own xDs. Not sure if it already has been done since there are tons of info in here. Take care!

10. AaronXDM9

AaronXDM9 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I already got her all cleaned up, but I'll get some pics up if it happens again.

11. imcja

imcja XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Is this what you were seeing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  12. borjadxD.45svc

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow that pic is right on the money. Did you think that was rust when you first saw it? That kind of stuff just ruins the day!

13. wambsgans

wambsgans XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My xd 40 has the exact same mark I'll try scrubbing it off now that it comes off.

14. TahoeMac

TahoeMac XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    It is absolutely nothing to be up in arms about. It is just a little brass being deposited when the case is ejected. No big deal.

15. AaronXDM9

AaronXDM9 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is almost exactly what I had except mine was a little more thick due to the nickle casing. It would not rub of with my finger nail, not even with CLP and an AP brush. I had to lightly use a bore brush.

I must say after I discovered that the bore brush removed the spot I felt a little stupid posting this thread. Apparently many other ppl have come across this and had the same concern. I'm glad I made the post and have helped others though. This is a great forum! Thanks to everyone who responded to concern! :p