XDM OSP vs. SIG Sauer P320 with mini red dot ?

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by TWL, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Oct 30, 2016 #1
    TWL

TWL XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Sorry, but I posted this in the wrong place. I'll try again.

I don't know if it is fair or a good idea to ask this question here, but I would value your opinion.

I have look at reviews for the SA XDM OSP and the SIG Sauer P320 RX with a Romeo 1 mini red dot sight.

At this time I have 2 other Springfield Armory handguns and love them both. Now I would like to purchase a 9mm with a red dot sight and have looked at the 2 I mentioned.

Can you have me any detail which will assist me in deciding between these two ?

Many thanks.

Hanagan

2. Oct 30, 2016 #2
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 20K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +9,353 / 234
    I've owned XDm's, and I've owned 320's.

Sig 320, all the way. For me, it all comes down to the trigger...and right now, the Sig 320 has the best trigger in a striker-fired pistol being made today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Oct 30, 2016 #3
    TWL

TWL XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Cuda66,

Thank you for the reply.
    The review I recently read, in the latest edition of "Guns & Ammo Handguns" magazine, also mentioned the superior trigger on the Sig 320.
    I'd like to quote a portion of the review I read and get your opinion.
    " The standard P320 comes with SIGLite night sights. The sights on the P320 RX are tall SIGLite night sights originally designed for use with suppressors. They are tall enough to be used through the red dot's window, which is useful if the battery on the red dot dies or, much more commonly, to help get the gum aimed roughly enough so the red dot appears in the window of the sight "
    In your opinion, does this feature have any value ?
    Thanks.

Hanagan

4. Oct 30, 2016 #4
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 20K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +9,353 / 234
    I've shot pistols with red dots that cowitnessed (my former FNX45 Tactical, a Glock MOS, and a few others) and didn't cowitness (numerous .22's & hunting revolvers).

Honestly, they both work for me.

That being said--in a defensive pistol? I think I'd want to have them. I can see the argument why some people don't want them...that is, it clutters up your sight picture, makes you want to try and use both at the same time....but I never had that issue. That red dot sucks your eye right in, and I wouldn't even really see the irons.

Kinda something you may need to find out for yourself...

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Oct 30, 2016 #5
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1,617 / 7
    Because of the durability and reliability of various electronic red-dot sights, now, many of the true high-level players are choosing to no longer run BUISs (especially a rear BUIS) on their carbines. In the vast majority of cases, at closer distances (short of 50 yards), what the big-name trainers have seen with these higher-level students is that they'll simply shoot "through the optic," if it's the electronics that fail during the run.

When I asked one such individual of what they would use as a backup when the dot failed, without the option of shooting through the window (i.e. the window cracked or otherwise became obscured), he replied, without hesitation, that his backup is now a high-power visible laser.

[ The above is courtesy of a combination of two individuals: a good friend who is a frequent flier at the Alliance PD training facility shoot-house and who was a Marine who saw active combat, and also Joe Weyer of Weyer Tactical, who is also an instructor at Alliance. ]

That said, to-a-person, you'll see these same higher-level shooters run a set of backup irons on their handguns. The reason, when asked? Because even today, the same individuals who espouse the non-magnified electronic RDS sights on carbines due to their durability/reliability also admit that the pistol slide is a very harsh and inhospitable place to mount the RDS, and can lead to its early demise rather more easily.

Whether or not the dot actually physically cowitnesses with the backup irons is secondary in the pistol application. Mentally and visually, when you have the dot, you should be shooting the dot. If the dot should not be there, you should be able to seamlessly transition to the backup irons. Thus, whether of not the pistol's backup irons truly cowitness with its red-dot becomes one of personal preference as well as whether the chosen hardware allows it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dec 23, 2016 #6
    mustang_gtcs

mustang_gtcs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    You don't use the iron sights to find the dot. You practice presenting the pistol so that the dot is seen as soon as it is in front of your eyes, don't even look at the irons when using the dot. I don't like a co-witnes when using red dot optics, it gets my sight picture to cluttered up. I have my P320rx set up so that when the red dot is on and in the center of the glass the iron sights are at the very bottom of the glass. I still see them but I don't use them or even look at them.

With a red dot you focus on the target and that is what I like most about the red dot optic. I'm still more accurate with iron sights but I am working with the red dot and getting better with it.

Having four XDm's with PRP triggers and two Sig's with factory triggers knowing what I know now I would have sent my XDm9 5.25 off to be milled and install a Trijicon or Vortex red dot to it. The P320 trigger is good for a stock trigger bit it is heavy at 6.5# and has a spongy takeup. The only option for a better trigger for the P320 is Gray Guns at a price of $300 plus shipping cost both ways and a waiting period of 5 months. I put in a request for their trigger job a week ago and still have not heard from them.

7. Dec 23, 2016 #7
    Gigantore

Gigantore XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1,670 / 166
    Pretty sure Apex makes a flat trigger for the 320. And as far as I have seen, Apex makes the best triggers.

8. Dec 23, 2016 #8
    mustang_gtcs

mustang_gtcs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Apex does wonders for M&P pistols but unfortunately they don't do much for the Sig P320. Its just a replacement trigger not a trigger kit. Gray Guns reworks some of the trigger components, add their own sear, add springs and plate the trigger parts with electroless nickel-PTFE and peform a micro polish on the rest of the trigger parts and all that work with nearly a $400 investment with the shipping cost added will only net you a 4# trigger pull.

• Informative Informative x 1