XDM match grade barrel spec.'s ?

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by frankgon4, Aug 10, 2010.

1. frankgon4

frankgon4 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I contacted Springfield customer service and they could not provide details of the "match grade barrel" - they just said it was better. Does anyone know what actual specifications for the match grade barrel versus a standard barrel? I know it is better with tighter tolerances and tighter lock up, but I am trying to get some details and not general statements. No one seems to know the definition of a Springfield XDM match grade barrel other than it is better.
    FYI: I am looking at getting an XDM 3.8 in .40 caliber regardless of the answer. I just like to know specifics of what I am buying. I don't like paying for "match grade" and not know what I am actually buying.

2. jmmec

jmmec XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One thing that is different than the standard XD is that the XDm barrel has "MATCH" stamped on the side. :mrgreen: Hopefully there is more to it than that....

I just bought an XDm 9mm last week, so I haven't shot it that much, but so far I like it.

3. frankgon4

frankgon4 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At this point, appears no one knows what spec.'s the match grade barrel meets, including XDM customer service. Maybe it is mostly hype. I wonder if the XD shoots as accurately as the XDM.

4. Frenchy

Frenchy <b>Cat Herder</b> Staff Member Founding Member

Near the confluence of the Missouri and Osage
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    I think you would have to set both of them up in a mechanical rest for that answer. Off-hand however, your results would be subjective. I would wager that the average shooter would have a hard time telling the difference.

5. insatiable ONE

insatiable ONE XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0
    thanks Frenchy
    I need to contact Clark to check on a accuracy job :eek:

I don't know if one barrel is holding a 8-10" group @ 50 yrd off a Ransom Rest

& the other was holding per say 4-6" I would definitely notice, but like you said... the average shooter would be clueless
    but I doubt they are doing much better than the first quote

6. CPTKILLER

CPTKILLER XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My unit at Fort Riley had some Colt Gold Cups available that were unit property. For some reason 1ID stated that they had to be passed to HHC, 1ID from my Cav troop. I was the troop XO & went to the arms room and swapws the barrel & bushings on the Gold Cup to my issue 1911. It was not a drop in & I had to hand fit the barrel in with a small file.

Despite having a match barrel & bushings the issue 1911 was marginally more accurate. The lesson for you is that a match barrel alone does not = hugely better accuracy. What is needed is more work & fitting to include sights & trigger. To your point, I'm not sure that a barrel alone makes it a match accuracy weapon.

7. frankgon4

frankgon4 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    CPTKILLER, agreed with your analysis above.
    I just don't want to tell people that I have a match grade barrel and not know the specifics. If you have a new super charged car engine, then what did you pay for and what did you get. $500+ dollars is not cheap to me. At this point, I don't think the XDM is that much more accurate than the original XD.

8. Dresevski

Dresevski XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As you posted earlier you're looking at a 3.8. I understand where you're coming from with the specifics and knowing the true difference in the product you're purchasing, however the longer the barrel the higher the accuracy (to a certain point). So if you're truly worried about hitting tighter groups get a longer firearm, otherwise you can't go wrong with the 'm' if you have a 3.8 and are worried about hitting the target.

Worst case you can be content knowing that you have something better than the stock XD 3.8.

9. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 1
    "match" grade is "better" --> they probably get more profit per sale and that's how they define better. OK, I don't know, but that's my guess!

But seriously, in specsmanship, you don't let out the specs if you don't have to. Or you make the specs so loose that your product will always meet spec. (given the choice, most companies will do both!). I would bet good money that the spec on the "m" barrels can be met by the standard XD barrels (except for length).

A better question for SA would be to ask how many m barrels are rejected for not making spec. (Not that they would tell you). It's probably zero rejects except for shipping damage and gross visual irregularities. I doubt they even check anything.