XDM manual safety?

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Claemore, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Claemore

Claemore XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been looking at a few different guns for my new CCW. I like the XDM 3.8 in .40; S&W M&P .40 w/ thumb safety; and the HK USP .40 V1. What's turning me off of the XDM is the lack of thumb safety. And if the XDM .45 would come with a thumb safety I would leap on it. I don't like the looks of the XD .45, and I've concealed the full size HK USP .45 before, so ultimately size is not necessarily an issue.

I know a lot of you will probably harangue me for wanting a thumb safety. These are my reasons: my gun will be both a house gun, and a CCW; and I have children who have friends. I keep my gun with me most of the time, but I will leave my gun on the table or nightstand, coffee table, etc. I won't be far from it, but on the off chance that a neighbor kid grabs the gun, finger on trigger, I don't want it to go boom. I will NOT put a lock on a gun that is meant for defense. I don't like long trigger pulls. I've had a defensive situation that could have gone bad because I didn't have a round in the chamber because it was a Glock. Thankfully I didn't have to shoot. One of the attractive things about the XDM is the grip safety. The other attractive thing about the XDM is the gun itself. I love this gun. It's cheap, mags are cheap and it's high capacity.

My kids are trained, friends are not- that I know of.

I have quite a bit of experience carrying a weapon not only for duty, which includes not only training but actual defensive situations. I am fond of the HK line up, but they are expensive and the mags are outrageously expensive, for what you are getting.

Anybody know if Springfield plans on a manual safety, or are there aftermarket manual safeties for this gun? Thanks for any and all replies.

2. stuz92

stuz92 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    CLaemre
    Not to sound harsh but, Don't leave your gun on the table , nightstand,etc. even around kids that are trained not to touch them. Shoot i know a few adults that loaded guns should not be left around.
    Manual safetys can be switched off by little hands while they are playing, you have to store your gun correctly when you do not have control of it.

I invested in 3 handgun safe that are in differant location around my house so the firearm is availible close by and no one but me or my wife can access our SD weapons. WE have 2 children and they have firends over all the time and all thier parents no we own firearms and they also trust us because of our precautions with them.

3. ac guy

ac guy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I prefer the XD because it doesn't have a safety. Less to think about if needed. That being said, I don''t know of a model other than the service and tactical model which you can purchase with a safety.

4. Claemore

Claemore XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know of a few adults that you shouldn't leave loaded firearms around too. But my kids are not them. They've been raised around all kinds of firearms and allowed to handle and fire them in my presence. I don't walk off and leave the guns laying around. And have always been within eyesight of them. However, if a friend (adult or child) happens to grab one, a manual safety gives me time to get to them. The first thing a child or adult that isn't familiar with guns will do is put their finger on the trigger when they pick the weapon up.

I don't believe in safes or locks for defensive weapons. I guarantee there is not enough time to open a safe and react to the threat. Unless you train specifically for it, there is rarely time to chamber a round.

When I carried a weapon professionally, I carried the HK USP .45F. When I flicked the safety off, there was no thinking about it involved. I guess if you have a pistol with a manual safety and you never practice with it, then I can see you having to think about it.

So apparently an aftermarket safety is not available?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  5. DjHardcore

DjHardcore XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you typically leave the safes out in the open? or are all 3 hidden?

6. UofHdevildog

UofHdevildog XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Well now that you've asked the usual thumb safety question go ahead and get your "1 in the chamber" question out of the way.;)

7. Claemore

Claemore XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't get it. I've done a search for manual safeties on this board and haven't found what I'm looking for. I wasn't looking for arguments or anything like that. Besides, the threads I saw were a while ago, before the .45 XDM. Didn't know if anything had changed.

Most of the replies on the threads I saw were diatribes against the manual safety, and no real answers. I was hoping to actually get an answer. What is this "1 in the chamber" question you speak of?

8. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    You will have to order an XD-45. Can't speak for the company, but their general exclusion of a separate thumb-safety option on most of the pistol model line should indicate their current production stance. The XD-45 with thumb safety was produced as prerequisite for one contract bid. These are still produced in very limited numbers, hence the probability of not being stocked by most dealers. Not much difference between the XD and XDm in 45acp unless you need to fire SWC on a regular basis. The case retention dimple 'improvement' in the slide can be easily cut and the slight cup for the recoil assembly lug 'improvement' can be added. Only the bump on the slide to help prevent retracted cases from hitting the top round presents any difficulty. And for most XD-45's this was not a major issue.
    As SA does not sell any of the thumb safety related parts, not much chance of modifying an existing pistol at a reasonable cost. Lack of demand has prevented any aftermarket effort of which I am currently aware.

For CCW the XD45 Service (4") with thumb safety should be a considered option. (maybe look/handle/fire again, but ergonomics of comfort for you should be your criteria)

9. UofHdevildog

UofHdevildog XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    I knew you weren't trying to start an argument. It was a humorous jab.

The round in chamber question comes up every week just about from some newb who doesn't take the time to search for the other dozens of topics on it. It gets really annoying. Personally I don't see why so many post on them just to say the same thing they said on the one before it.

10. Claemore

Claemore XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you I appreciate the detailed response. I'll handle one. They are not terrible looking, just liked the XDM's looks better.

11. Claemore

Claemore XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree. I was hesitant to ask this particular question because I figured it might cause the "why do you need a manual safety" crap that I read on the other threads that I read. I was hoping that something had changed in XDM land like an after market, or plans by the company to include one.

12. aaron1984

aaron1984 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Go for the Smith M&P, much less recoil than an XD due to the lower bore axis. And for god sake a manual safety can't be relied on to keep kids safe. If your really going to leave loaded guns within access to kids who don't know how to handle them you should reconsider.

13. stuz92

stuz92 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Claemore, Sorry to be a pain , i'm just sensitive to the subject of kids and firearms. I've been close to 2 near misses, once as a child and the other was just a few yrs ago. Both happened with the parents close by and with teenagers that had been trained and grew up around firearms. The parents turned thier backs for a second and then a bad decision was made. Luckily only a wall and an antique dresser paid for this.

Again, sorry to be a pain.

Stay safe.

14. XDM bitone 40

XDM bitone 40 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well here something you should do, Keep it on you...Holstered and that way "kids and Anyone " cant touch it.....

I have one safe and keep two of my guns in the safe near my bed, and my mother-in-law has my .380 in a case with a trigger lock.. My daughter knows about it,but she knows not to touch it..Still a lock gun is a safe gun with kids around..
    The XDM has a safety the owner,and how he/she store's it ..

ME; i don't just lay my firearm out for anyone to see or tough as its a liability if that person shoots someone else or me.
    I can't even think of something happing to where I'm sitting in jail or even dead for that matter... For me i keep my EDC on me till bed time, then i put it my dresser, or the safe...

15. Claemore

Claemore XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think you are being a pain. I have plenty of years on guns, and my kids have been around and trained on guns as well. As toddlers if they asked to see the guns, I would make it safe- sometimes removing the slide- and allow them to wear their curiosity out. That is the key. If a kid is not allowed to ever touch a gun, their curiosity gets the better of them, and they may try to sneak a feel. But if they know that if they can handle a gun anytime they want by ASKING first, their curiosity is sated.

I've got three kids one in her teens and two somewhat younger ones. I was taught by my boss when I was a deputy about this system. At the time, all his kids were grown. Loaded weapons always around the house as they were growing up, never a problem. People that keep guns locked away from their kids and only allow them to handle them when they go shooting are, in my opinion, asking for trouble.

Back in "the old days", loaded weapons were kept around the house all the time. But because the firearm was an every day useful tool, there was not a problem. The children of the day had no over whelming curiosity and so treated it like everything else that was potentially dangerous.