Springfield XD Forum banner

XDM Mag-well from Pistol Gear (Report & Pics)

8K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  jlpskydive 
#1 · (Edited)
First off a great piece of engineering from the the PistolGear.com guys!! This thing mounts solid and has a huge opening. If you miss this thing on a reload you need serious help. With the Arredondo base pads it really works well.
The front of the mag well locks into the ridge in the front of the frame, then it has a threaded rod that goes through the interchangeable back-strap and locks the back of the magwell tightly in place. Mine doesn't so much as wiggle in the slightest bit. This really is a quality piece. There are a couple of ways you can go about installing the magwell
1. Slap it on your pistol and let it ride. (works fine just like that)
2. To make is silky smooth on the reload bust out the dremel, a sharpie, and some very fine grit sand paper. (That's what I did)

A. Place the magwell in the pistol and mark the exposed area of the frame with the sharpie.
B. Take the dremel and remove (slowly) the marked areas.
C. Repeat A.
D. Smooth out areas with fine grit sand paper
E. Install magwell

Total time??? About 20 min

Thanks to Scott at Pistol Gear for another quality product. (mine had already gone through two matches and lots of practice reloads before the pictures had been taken)

See less See more
#5 ·
You have to cut / trim your stock pistol grip :sad: NO WAY I'M DOING THAT ...

I hope you plan on keeping that pistol for a long time cause selling it will be more than difficult - after chopping it up with a dremel tool -
You don't have to I just did to make it smoother and the only way you can see it, is if you look down the mag well with or without the piece on. And no I don't plan on selling it. Just for the record I had done the same procedure on the .40 Tac that I had and sold it to another IPSC shooter that was pretty happy with the way the gun was set up. :D:D

#6 ·
I'm not trying to disparage your option, please don't take offense. I'm merely stating what I think will happen if you dremel your pistol - it limits the market to competition shooters when selling - Although you state you won't sell, you sold your other .40 and you probably said then you wouldn't sell that one either when you first got it - right? We all think that - but then along comes something new... lol ...;)

#7 ·
I'm not trying to disparage your option, please don't take offense. I'm merely stating what I think will happen if you dremel your pistol - it limits the market to competition shooters when selling - Although you state you won't sell, you sold your other .40 and you probably said then you wouldn't sell that one either when you first got it - right? We all think that - but then along comes something new... lol ...;)

No offense taken. I wasn't really trying to sell the other one, it just sold because he knew I had a new setup coming (if you know what I mean). Like I said before you don't have to modify the grip for this to work.

#11 · (Edited)
The front of the mag well locks into the ridge in the front of the frame, then it has a threaded rod that goes through the interchangeable back-strap and locks the back of the magwell tightly in place.
So the threaded pin replaces the stock roll pin? Does it screw into the hole, or does it go through and you tighten it with an alen wrench or something?

Pictures?

Thanks.
/tg

P.S. Selling a gun? I did that once a long time ago. I have since repented. I know from experience that selling a weapon is blasphemy.

#12 ·
Great info. thanks I will be modifying my XDm 40 with these specs. I will modify the trigger, the guide rod and spring.

Does the addition of extra rounds to mag. the work well? ...additional weight a problem? ...extra length work well in holster and concealment?

I already filed the mag entrance to remove the sharp mold edges. I also took a (very)little off the top of the grip safty to stop the pinch to my hand. So modifying my weapon to enhance my comfort and useabilty is NOT a matter of secondary market concern to me. If someone is worried about that than that is them and that is NONE of my concern.

I want every weapon I own to work at my specs and I will do whatever that takes.

#13 ·
So the threaded pin replaces the stock roll pin? Does it screw into the hole, or does it go through and you tighten it with an alen wrench or something?

Pictures?

Thanks.
/tg

P.S. Selling a gun? I did that once a long time ago. I have since repented. I know from experience that selling a weapon is blasphemy.
Wow glad you said that . I thought I was the only person who didnt buy sell trade give away etc. I swear to GOD in 30 years of acumulating guns of all types I have only sold 1 and it was my wifes.(she said I could) really!. it was an old peice of crap H&R that she sanded the grips and thought it was cool. she now knows not to mess with stuff. I have the same guns in different colors,but still would not sell I like them all.

#14 ·

Pictures?

Thanks.
/tg

Yes in screws in and you tighten it with an Allen wrench that is provided. Very secure and no wiggle at all. The mag well is threaded and the piece that replaces the factory pin is threaded all the way.

#17 ·
Anyone know if the XD(M) equipped with this mag-well will still allow it to fit in the IDPA box? (I'm thinking it should.)
IDPA Rule Book said:
In addition to meeting the criteria for all equipment, pistols, with an empty magazine inserted, must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8¾” x 6” x 1 5/8”.
Thanks.

/tg

#19 ·
Great info. thanks I will be modifying my XDm 40 with these specs. I will modify the trigger, the guide rod and spring.

Does the addition of extra rounds to mag. the work well? ...additional weight a problem? ...extra length work well in holster and concealment?

I already filed the mag entrance to remove the sharp mold edges. I also took a (very)little off the top of the grip safty to stop the pinch to my hand. So modifying my weapon to enhance my comfort and useabilty is NOT a matter of secondary market concern to me. If someone is worried about that than that is them and that is NONE of my concern.

I want every weapon I own to work at my specs and I will do whatever that takes.
I wouldn't think that extended magazines and an after-market mag well would be conducive to concealment. Both of those would seriously bulk up the profile of the pistol. You'd end up looking like the non-mutants running around on the TV show "Heroes" and their SVI Pistols! :)

#20 ·
I wouldn't think that extended magazines and an after-market mag well would be conducive to concealment. Both of those would seriously bulk up the profile of the pistol. You'd end up looking like the non-mutants running around on the TV show "Heroes" and their SVI Pistols! :)
I currently carry a full size 1911 with a wide mag well, two spare mags and OD spray concealed without issue.

It's not just about the gun, but the holster (IWB works best) and what you use to conceal it. Medium to dark colors w/ or w/o patterns work best. And if you can a cover shirts of some type as well.

I think I will have to make some minor adjustments to my attire when I make the switch to my XD(M) w/ (future) mag-well, but I am sure it is very do-able.

/tg

#24 ·
It will seat with the stock mags, but they are not conducive to any kind of speed. The stock mags set well below the mouth of the mag well and while they will lock up they are a pain. So to answer you question yes you need extensions or slam pads.

Could you outline the mods that you did to your pistol?

I am really interested in putting on the extensions but dont know if they will work with the XDM-9mm mags.

What capacity can you get out of them with the extension?

Also, what grip tape are you using?

#25 · (Edited)
Could you outline the mods that you did to your pistol?

I am really interested in putting on the extensions but don't know if they will work with the XDM-9mm mags.

What capacity can you get out of them with the extension?

Also, what grip tape are you using?
The grip tape is just standard skateboard tape and it works very well.
I have TFO Trueglows installed and they are OK, but some Dawson's will be going on soon.

I have a thin 1911 guide rod to use with 1911 springs, but now that they are making other springs for the M I would go with one of Springer's heavy SS clone rods

I have a PRP trigger kit in it and it works very well (I have the Springer kit in my .40 Tac and like it better) but the PRP kit was VERY easy to install.

I have the Pistol Gear mag well and LOVE IT!!!

I also have the Pistol Gear 9mm conversion barrel and with the right mags it works very well also.

The extended mag release is a Springer Precision product and is great like everything else he sells.

The mag extensions are Arredondo and work well and will work with your 9mm without a problem, but I would wait for the new Pistol Gear extensions as they look to be the real deal and around the same price.

Hope this helps. I did mine as one of the first M's out there shooting Limited and so I will be replacing parts with new and better ones as they come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.