xdm m&p or ruger sr40

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by shawnwwade, Aug 15, 2012.

1. shawnwwade

shawnwwade XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm new to handguns but I'm taking my ccw permit class tomorrow. I have narrowed down my choices to either a XDM40 or a m&p40 or a Ruger SR40.I have held and shot all three guns. I like all three guns. Right now I'm leaning twards the xdm because I like the feel of the gun in my hand and it looks sexy.lol. but in my area I can get the ruger for $410.00 and the m&p for $500 and the xdm for $590.00 . Quite a price difference.is the xdm $200.00 sexier than the ruger?

2. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To me the XDM is worth the extra, but I'm bias I own 5 XDm's.

Which do you shoot better?

I'm assuming you're looking at the 3.8" compact .40. If so it conceals great in a CBST...

My 2nd choice un that line-up would be the M&P, they are also pretty sweet IMO.

3. Rmart30

Rmart30 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    XDM would be my choice as well and you should be able to knock $40-50 off that $590 with some price shopping .....grabagun, jet guns, gunbroker etc.
    Grabagun would be my first stop with their $6 shipping

4. Snaphook

Snaphook XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I like the XDM's and I own 2. Given your choices and what else is available I liked the the XDM for the trigger, feel, grip angle, and a lot of people I respect locally had them. But that's me.

I honestly don't think you're going to go wrong with either of your choices, all are fine guns. The Ruger in my opinion is a bit less accurate and a very spongy trigger but super reliable, now if you're OK with the trigger and the very slight difference in accuracy then save the money. The MP's are excellent guns and with trigger jobs are every bit as good as the XDM in my opinion, and I love Smith and they way they stand behind their guns (I own Smith revolvers), and if you get an MP you won't be unhappy with it. I think they will be about as accurate as a XDM but will need the triggers worked on (XDM's need the triggers worked on too).

These are just my opinions, others will have different ones.

I would also suggest 9mm versus 40, you will save a ton on ammo, hold more rounds, and for defense the bullet is just as good.

Good luck.

5. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    #1 XD/m
    #2 M&P
    #3 SR

At the end of the day....you get what ya pay for.;)

6. HJRT2009

HJRT2009 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you have decided and are ready to commit, talk to your local gun shop owner. My last two purchases I had a candid conversation about price on internet sites. My local guy was flexible and took $45 off his tagged price and I bought right then and there.

With the XDm being the higher price of the three, most likely your local shop owner can give up a few more $$ on that one to keep your sale alive.

When possible (and affordable), support your local gun shop business!

7. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Having owned everything but the Ruger (and have spent some trigger time with a Ruger), I'd get the M&P.

For the extra $100+ the XDm will run you, you don't get anything more than one extra round.

8. dhunley1

dhunley1 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The M&P gets my vote.

1) M&P
    2) XDm
    3) SR

9. Bamaxd9

Bamaxd9 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can get the XD for around $400. Thats what i have and its worth every bit of the $400.

10. 3shot

3shot XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For the price, I would go with the M&P as well.
    Even after all this time, I am still not convinced that the $100.00 extra for the "M" barrel is justified. Honestly, just a 100 dollar cosmetic upgrade if you ask me.
    By all means, no disrespect to XDm owners. Just my opinion. But, the m shoots no better than my sc

11. Captain Jack

Captain Jack XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The M&P line should eventually share the new and better trigger found on the M&P SHIELD handgun, so if you want an M&P, wait. I don't know when this will happen, if it indeed does.

The Ruger SR9 and 40 are very good affordable guns. They are not as "nice" compared to M&P's in terms of finish, but are durable, accurate, reliable, and good looking guns. The SR9c/40c seem be the slightly better than their full-size brothers for some reason, but not by much.

The XDM's are very nice, and worth a close look, despite being $50-100 more expensive.

My personal preference:

1, M&P
    2. XDM
    3. Ruger

12. Gmcouch

Gmcouch XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^^ He is right!!

This M&P is a great pistol though.

13. Poneill.45

Poneill.45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My opinion,

#1 xdm
    #2 m&p
    #3 ruger

I would go with the xdm too, but honestly, IMHO, the xds is the same as an xdm, but lighter and smaller. Same gear package, right down to the interchangeable back straps. You mentioned you can get the xdm 3.8 for $590, I paid $569 for the xds. And honestly, in a comparison, I shot a full mag out of my xds, then immediately picked up my friends xdm45 5.25" and shot it. And saw absolutely no difference inaccuracy or recoil. I was quite surprised. Also, I carried my XD40sc iwb for a long time until I got my xds, and, it really can get to be uncomfortable. That's just my 2 cents. Happy shopping! :)

Happy shopping.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

14. K.O.D.

K.O.D. XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are a lot of options out there. I wouldn't necessarily narrow it down to these three. If you are set on a polymer striker fired gun, check out the FN FNS and the Steyr M40, Glock 22/23, Walther PPQ/P99.

I'm not much of a fan of the guns you've chosen. The xd/xdm trigger guard scrapes agains my finger (I have large hands), the M&P has a long, heavy trigger pull and long reset, and the Ruger has a gritty trigger, feels like you're pulling it through sand.

15. mmathews

mmathews XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am definitely bias. I own the XDM 40 4.5 barrel, XDM 9mm compact and a .45 ACP compact and I love them all. Like you they feel great in my hand. With that said my next gun will most likely be a M&P. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of your choices. Get what works for you and what you fire well, that is the most important in my opinion, good luck!

16. Theconjuror2008

Theconjuror2008 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Every forum needs a "that guy" so....1911.
    I have an xdm 4.5 and a m&p .40
    There xdm is an amazing gun, extremely accurate, mag capacity, awesome weapon. I have never played with the 3.8 but I know when I carry it, it blows. Too big and heavy, the blockiness of the slide is a deal breaker, the m&p is awesome, needs some serious trigger work but I love it, it is a really slick gun, nothing to catch on, even the sights have been melted down, Its strange switching from a razor sharp defender to an impressive carry gun

17. KTXdm9

KTXdm9 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    +1 for shopping around to find a better price on the XDm. I just liked the way the Xdm felt in my hand a little better, but it's all personal preference.

18. 15shot

15shot XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To me it's all about feel in your hand and trigger release and the XDM and M&P are the best. In that order...

You won't go wrong with either.

19. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    My buddy just got a SR40c, which I have to say is pretty sweet. Another buddy of mine has the M&P 45c, prefer my XD45c, and the SR40c over it. Don't have any experience with the XDm, but I would expect it to be a slightly better XD. I'd put the SR over the M&P though, but it really comes down to personal preference. I'm sure you can't go wrong with any of them. None of the above have ever had a malfunction, and fired hundreds of rounds, so I wouldn't hesitate to trust them.

20. windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am with TX Xd......

Sure... am biased since I am an XDM owner.... but man, I just think it is the best of the breed with the extra mag capacity, feel (ergonomics), and general quality / upgrades.

My second choice would be the M&P, based on feel and price. I like them, and will look at getting the M&P9c for my wife when she is ready. My instructor LOVES the M&P and can't say enough good stuff about it.

The Ruger.... not even on my list..... just doesn't have the feel or standard features that would make me want to look at one.