XDm FAQ thread.

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by VR4, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Nov 26, 2014 #61
    Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 7
    This is great info, not only for newbies, but for us old guys to come here and refresh our memory every now and then.

2. Jan 8, 2016 #62
    AJIhle

AJIhle XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK as for leaving the Mags loaded for an extended period of time, that answer is an definite NO. I've had my XD 45 4" Service model for 10 years and bought 2 extra mags when I bought then weapon. All 4 mags have been loaded since I've had the pistol and all 4 Mags springs essentially died just this weekend (that I noticed) FMJ round fed PERFECT and I decided to change out my Self Defense JHP rounds and replace it with new SD JHP Ammo. Almost every round missfed. Which have been the ONLY problem I have ever had with this pistol. As resets the mags with FMJ still fine, back to JHP, constant misfeeds, all brands I tried. I bought 4 new OEM SA Mags and tested them and now it works fine, as i always had. I have just today ordered new aftermarket Springs for the original 4 mags. Which Im sure will correct the issue. By the way if your interested I've probably find 5,000 round from this wonderful gun and HIGHLY recommend it. Great ergonomics , ease of use cleaning, maintenance, etc,etc. And very little kick for a 45 as well, my sons brand new compact XD 9 has a hellacious snap to it when it fires, very unlike mine.
    So PLEASE if you've kept you Mags loaded for 8-10 years as I have, PLEASE be aware of this possible issue and test your mags with SD JHP ammo, especially if this is your carry gun as it mine.
    Everyone please make note, this is NOT a criticism of the pistol, simply a warning that physics is physics and compressing a spring for 10 years will make it LESS springy!

3. Jan 8, 2016 #63
    agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0
    I've had my .40 since 2004 mags are always loaded, no issues with any type of ammo.

Load a troublesome HP into both old and new mags. Set them side by side. Do both mags present the bullet at the same angle? If no the more than likely it's the mag lips not the spring that's causing the problem.

4. Jan 8, 2016 #64
    AJIhle

AJIhle XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The angles are the same. I can see that quite easily and the issue is with 4 mags with 4 kinds of JHP ammo and you can feel springs are weak. I'll install the new springs on the old mags as soon as I get them and post an update when I go to the range.I can quite easily load the 12th and 13th round without the magloader, and the 13th round before was damned near impossible, for me anyways. And there is a huge amount of resistance on the new mags and the old ones feel limp as dead fish.

5. May 7, 2016 #65
    Dutchess

Dutchess XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I've been a service pistol shoot and frackin love my 3-dot combat sights, I have no problem shoot groups on top of each other at 50' and tight groups at 25yrds. Have pushed my XD45 out to 50 yards and my Kimber to 100yrds with ridicules accuracy. That being said. I can't hit anything smaller then 7" @25 yards with my XDM 5.25 the pistol is solid and love my XDs they are my favorite. The problem lays in the rear sight. The 5.25 has a flat plain blade adjustable rear sight. After months of research I found nothing a year ago, anyone know of anything on the market yet to give a guy a couple extra dot for reference. I lightly hand spun a drill bit I'm it and gave it a dimples but they are slightly off so my 25 game is better but shaky. Any tips on shooting with the adjustable rear sight?