XDM 525 9mm questions

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by Pcschwenke, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Pcschwenke

Pcschwenke XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an opportunity to pick one of these up with the factory kit and 3 extra mags (and mag holder) for $600. The gun has roughly 5-600 rounds through it from original owner. I fired 10 shot through it the other day and it functioned fine. The accuracy isn't up to my 1911 standards but, it may have been the cheap loads from WallyWorld. Does this price seem reasonable? I keep debating whether I should go this route or with the Glock 34 (New). The grip angle of the XDm seems closer to the 1911 which I prefer. Never shot anything else other than revolvers for the past 20 years! I have a lot of 1911's though. My reason for this gun would be production class in USPSA (IPSC or whatever they name it now) events.

What bullets do these guns prefer? I plan to reload for it soon after I make the decision final.

Thanks!

Paul

2. ErichF

ErichF XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Get the 525 and don't worry about what ammo. Personally, I reload Montana Gold 124JHP with great accuracy. I have nearly 14,000 rounds through mine since Oct '11.

While your waiting, get the PRP Drop-In or the Ultimate Match Trigger kit for it and it will feel even closer to your 1911. I went a little further and had Springer put a Dawson 0.100" FO front sight on. Finished with Red PRP grip tape kit.

3. air8

air8 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Price seems reasonable. The prices seem to fluctuate quite a bit around the country. Ten months ago I paid little over six bills for a new never opened one. Been loving it ever since. It was my first pistol ever. This one is slightly used for about the same price. But like I said, the prices vary.

If you feel comfortable with the purchase that's the important part.

4. Pcschwenke

Pcschwenke XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ErichF, I would be adding all the items you listed except for the Red grip tape. Not sure why I keep going back & forth with this purchase. I've been looking for one of these guns since February and now that I found one, I keep second guessing myself. Never really wanted a 9mm but, now might be the time. I think I may offer less for the gun and see if he bites. He spent $600 for the XDm from his grandson whom never shot it. The original receipts add up to $750.

The trigger pull on the XDm is pretty bad from the box. It may have contributed to the bad group. I'm use to all my 1911's have around 2lb or less triggers. Even my 686 has a smoother & lighter double action trigger than the XDm. The PRP would be my first purchase for the XDm unless theirs a better alternative.

5. air8

air8 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want that Dawson .100 sight also. Last match I attended they shot a lot from 30-50 yds. Which I thought was pretty far. The stock front sight totally covered the targets at those distances. The other shooters used optics. And I'm not ready to put optics on...yet. lol.

6. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems like a good price to me. I gave a tad over $700 for both my 5.25's, 9mm & .45.

But offer him $550 & see what he says!!!

7. ricklee4570

ricklee4570 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only thing keeping me from buying one around where I live is the trigger. Best price I found was $699.00 and then I would have to factor in fixing the heavy trigger pull. I just cant justify $800.00 plus for this one right now.

8. KSH

KSH XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The price is good.
    I bought a case of PMC 124 when I bought mine and they grouped well, so I started loading Montana Golds 124 HP's and am very happy with the accuracy.

9. CCRAYJR

CCRAYJR XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say $600 is a little on the high side for a used 5.25 9mm. They were selling new on sossdirect for $619 with free shipping. I paid around $640 from mine new at the LGS. $550 would be more in line IMO.

10. ErichF

ErichF XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it was just the gun, I'd agree. The three extra mags on top of the mags that come in the kit is worth from $90-120 alone.

11. mustang_gtcs

mustang_gtcs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I paid $550.00 for a used all black but LNIB XDm9 5.25 and traded a $492.00 G21 for a XDm45 5.25 BiTone with PRP UMT trigger kit already installed a few months ago. Both guns came with all the XDm equipment from the factory. I added a PRP UMT trigger kit to the 9mm just like I do to all my XDm's.

Since you seem to have a love affair with the 1911 you might want to look at getting the XDm45 5.25 instead of the 9mm. I am actualy faster and more accurate with my .45acp than my 9mm.

When I got them.
    [​IMG]

.45acp now.
    [​IMG]

9mm now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  12. Pcschwenke

Pcschwenke XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    FYI, I picked up the XDm 5.25 -9mm yesterday from my friend. It works flawlessly and seems OK for accuracy. Thanks for all the responses.

13. shineynitelite

shineynitelite XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You keep commenting on the guns accuracy, the gun is accurate. YOU need to practice with it, if you can't figure it out you should have gotten something you can shoot accurately with.

14. Pcschwenke

Pcschwenke XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do need practice with it but, it's no bullseye gun either. The word accurate has a different meaning for different people. I need to figure out what grain bullets it prefers before I can say much more. The ammo tried so far has been with 115gr bullets. Maybe it would like the 124gr or 148gr better. If it can produce 2"-3" groups at 25 yards, I'll be pleased. If it can not, it will be sold. My email above gave general facts, but, I didn't say I wasn't happy with it. The biggest problem for me (and the gun) is the trigger. Out of the box, it's not very good.

Been shooting 1911's for 20+ years and won more than my share of tournaments in PPC, Bullseye, IPSC, and Bowling Pins. I think I can figure it out....

15. Snaphook

Snaphook XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Price sounds good, kind of surprising to hear your comment on accuracy though. I've shot the 5.25 and found them very accurate.

16. JohnFrancis

JohnFrancis XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been looking for a 9 mm bitone 5.25. No luck locally so far. My 4.5 is an absolute tack driver. I would expect the 5.25 to be at least as good!

17. Pcschwenke

Pcschwenke XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Snaphook,

The price seemed fair to me. Especially since there were 6 magazines & a spare mag holder. I've been trying to find one of these locally for a while. I like the looks and grip angle is similar to the 1911's.

What grain bullet are you using? When I picked up the gun yesterday, my friend had a box from Walmart (115gr, cheap ammo) and he had some reloads from his Grandson. (This is the first time I've ever fired reloads made by someone else!) The reloads were much more accurate and seemed heavier weight but, no proof of that. I'll try to find out what they were but, my friend had no clue. My 38 super likes the 122gr truncated rounds, maybe I'll try these first. What's the typical group size with the XDm you've shot?

18. Snaphook

Snaphook XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've shot them at the range using my ammo, usually Federal budget 100 packs, and found the 5.25 to be super accurate. My I have an XDM 45 full size and an XDM 9 compact, and my 45 is a little more accurate than the 9, but not much. My Sig 1911 is more accurate than either but that's because it's a 1911 and has a fantastic trigger.

I guess my only point would be if you're not happy with the accuracy of the weapon there may be some issues with it as the 5.25's are designed for accuracy. If the issue is only the trigger PRP can solve that for you. It's a competition / target gun and should be dead nuts accurate given the limitations of the trigger (if the trigger is stock). If it's not super accurate I'd say pass and spend the 600 on a new XDM.

Just my 2 cents.