XDM 5.25

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Mightyheb, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Feb 13, 2017 #11
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 20K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +10,949 / 248
    I will agree with this...9mm NEEDS a good performing bullet to get acceptable penetration & expansion...calibers that start with 4, not quite as much.

I like HST 147's quite a bit, to the point of where it's my go-to in most 9mm's I own...

But, if it weren't for the expense, I'd probably be switching over to the various iterations of the 115gr Barnes Tac-X.

Buddy took a deer with that bullet out of a G19 this last fall; 15 yard shot, busted a rib going in, shattered a rib on the way out, broke the exiting skin but didn't fully exit. Doe took two steps and dropped. Pretty clean expansion, too.

I'd call that solid real world performance...

2. Feb 14, 2017 #12
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,042 / 7
    ^ Whoa!

3. Feb 14, 2017 #13
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +10,949 / 248
    Yeah...

Although, I checked for what he was using...

Buffalo Bore +P+, rated at 1400fps.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Feb 14, 2017 #14
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,042 / 7
    "Plasma rifle in the 40W range....."

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Feb 14, 2017 #15
    Mightyheb

Mightyheb XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Is there any issues with 147gr in an XDm 9 mm that has a 3.8 barrel. People have been telling me it is for 4 inch+? Also do you practice with the same weight as you carry? Thanks and sorry for all the questions

6. Feb 14, 2017 #16
    Mightyheb

Mightyheb XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Sorry also is there any issue with a +P in a 3.8 barrel?

7. Feb 14, 2017 #17
    Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 20K Member

Ratings:
    +10,949 / 248
    Ask all the questions you want...

Are there issues with using 147gr in short barrels, in regards to terminal performance? Not at all. In fact, in short barrels, several 147gr offerings are the best performers out there...I'll point you to another link; these are tests performed by the Lucky Gunner ammo sales website, and were specifically targeting short (3.5" and less) barrel performance (whereas the first link I gave you is for service length-generally considered approx 4" or better-barrels). http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

For what it's worth, a Glock 19 with a 3.9" barrel is considered service length, so I would consider a XDM 3.8 to be, as well.

Personally, I prefer heavy for caliber bullets, at least in the traditional JHP designs; 147 on 9mm, 180 in .40, and 230 in .45...etc.

Particularly in short barrels.

And no, no issues with +P in short barrels.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Feb 17, 2017 #18
    Pandaz3

Pandaz3 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 1
    I have a 5.25 too and I load mine for SD with 147 Grain JHP most often, currently Winchester because they had it at the LGS and I had not tried it before, Feeds, Fires, Pretty Accurate so far. I have bigger calibers at hand really for SD. My 5.25 most often gets shot using 124 grain FMJ at the range, not a huge jump in cost over 115 Gr.

9. Feb 19, 2017 #19
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +2,042 / 7
    I'll pick up some stuff that Cuda66 did not address. :)

With all of what Cuda66 wrote, just remember that you need to make sure that *your* specific and unique gun will feed and function XYZ brand's 147 gr. hollow-points. That's on you.

Terminal ballistics is a great thing - but even a bullet that will completely disintegrate the threat upon contact will be no good if that bullet can't make it out of the muzzle of the weapon that's trying to discharge it. ;)

Function first and foremost.

^ Same as above.

Function first and foremost.

Secondary to that will be how well you can control the recoil from the firearm, shooting that load.

To verify this, don't just trust "by-feel." Instead, put yourself on a shot timer and shoot to a known metric.

In this manner, a lower score shot in the same allotted time would mean that you're having more trouble controlling recoil.

A great test for this is the Vickers/Hackathorn 10-10-10 (aka "The Test").
    Gunfighter Moment - Larry Vickers - Soldier Systems Daily
    10-10-10 Shooting Drill

Also, test the cartridge under low-light conditions. Here, pay attention to muzzle-flash concerns as well as any gunsmoke produced - with the latter specifically towards how your chosen WML or standalone handheld flashlight may be impeded by the smoke.

This gets expensive, fast.

But yes, we all should do this as much as we possibly can.

The main reasons are because external ballistics and recoil impulse can differ between the defensive cartridge and typical range-fodder. However, ancillary concerns such as muzzle blast/flash and gunsmoke can also present.

Even if you do not re-load your own, you can still seek to approximate a training/range load that mimics your chosen defensive load by simply range-testing a few different makes/models. Typically, start with the same grain bullet, and go from there.

That said, in-reality, you'll find that for most shooters, even the crappiest range/training load offers sufficient external performance as well as recoil. At larger training classes, when students are asked to shoot graded exercises at longer distances (i.e. Defoor Standards), you won't find anyone sprinting back to their vehicles or range-bags to grab "match ammo" or anything silly like that. :lol:

Most of us simply "shoot out" our defensive magazines (filled with defensive ammo, of-course ;)) one to four times a year. And some of us will put into a marked "practice" container chambered cartridges which we have ejected, which makes for another ready supply.[/quote]

10. Feb 19, 2017 #20
    Mightyheb

Mightyheb XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    [/QUOTE]
    Thank you very much for the input. I am learning a lot from you and Cuda. I ordered several different manufacturers of 124 and 147 defensive rounds to see what works and what won't. I have had no issues with any manufacturer I've used. I looked at the list sent from Cuda as a guide. I seem to shoot the best with 124gr in my XDM 9mm 3.8 and better with the 147 in my XDM 9mm 5.25. I am a beginner so I appreciate the input. I also shoot much better with my 3.8 which I have had for about 8 months ( first gun ever). Just got the 5.25 last week