Xdm 5.25 45acp

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by walley91, Jun 28, 2012.

1. walley91

walley91 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I already own a XD9 Subcompact which I love, but I'm looking to get another with a little more punch behind it. So I'm looking at the XDM 5.25 45acp. Just looking for some reviews on how you guys like it and if anyone thinks the 5.25 is a little long for carry.

2. Goowa

Goowa XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have both those guns. Love them both. My EDC is he 45. I gave a CBST and normally don't have a problem carrying even though it's a bit large. Does dig in a little in the car. On short trips it's not a problem, on longer trips it comes out of the holster.

3. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Welcome Walley from Texas! While carrying a 5.25 can be done, IMOP its WAY too long, and not really practical compared to your 3" sc. Ease of concealment is not so much in the length of the barrel, but the length and size of the grip.

In the realms of handguns, "punch" is a myth, especially if comparing the 9mm to the .45acp. If you want an XDM, I would consider the 3.8 compact. The grip is the same size as your SC, and is also expandable. If you want a hotter or spicier round, get it in a .40 s&w.

4. walley91

walley91 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Awesome, thanks a lot. I was about to buy a kimber until I found that 5.25. The customer service reviews that I've found on kimber sound like a nightmare! For how much cheaper and reliable the Xd's are I think im going to have to go with the XDM. From what I've read no one has had any problems with their XD's and I love mine.

5. walley91

walley91 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well my main carry was going to stay the XD9 for obvious reasons, but I want a full sized as well. I was just curious on how people felt with having the XDM and the 5 1/4 barrel strapped to their side for a day. On the subject on there not being much difference between the .45 and the 9mm.. well thats a debate that will be around long after our time. It's like republican vs democrat. haha

6. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I can see wanting a full size XD/m. Thus why the 4" service was my first. It serves as my household main battle pistol, and outfitted more so to be.

Agreed, the 9mm, .45 argument is old. But after being around the block a few times, I have learned that pistol "punch/ stopping power/ knock down power" is just myth. Stopping an assailant with a handgun is the direct result of the loss of pulmonary hydro-static pressure. ie shock from bleed out. The ONLY advantage the .45 holds is that it makes bigger holes, which may also facilitate a quicker stop. The Wonder 9's have made up HUGE ground in SD ammunition over the last 25 years, making it very formidable. But studies also say that 50% or more of rounds fired in a gunfight miss their target. If this is truly the case, I opt in for capacity. ;)

7. walley91

walley91 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree the difference is not substantial, but the .45 does cause more internal damage. The 9mm's velocity gives the round a lot more penetration especially if your shooting FMJ. A person will have a much better chance of getting up after being hit with that fast round is much more likely than a .45 that's mass will devastate the area that is hit. And the 13 round mag for the .45 is still pretty good! Regardless obviously you know what your talking about so I'm just preaching to the choir, but if I had the choice to be shot by one or the other, I would choose the 9mm hands down.

8. carstensxd45

carstensxd45 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Been carrying my 5.25 xdm 45 daily ever since they came out. One of the first in the US to get one from the distributor. Anyway, carry in a Serpa, OWB, 3:00 position. not a problem, dress around your gun, Remember, Bring enough gun!!:)

9. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own & really like my XDm 5.25"s, I have the 9mm & .45 both great shooters but to big to carry at least for me. I carry XDm 9mm or .45 3.8" in a CBST w/comfort. Soon my carry will be my XDS.

10. mustang_gtcs

mustang_gtcs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have the XDm45 5.25 and found it is no more accurate than my XD45 service model. I traded a gen4 G21 for it and wish it would have been an XDm45 4.5 instead.

My XDm9 4.5 has a better ballance than the 5.25 wich is why I want a .45acp in the 4.5" barrel length.

11. INMY01TA

INMY01TA XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I personally would not carry something that big. My M&P9c is probably as big as I'd go.

12. NoJoy

NoJoy XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How is the trigger feel of the XDM 5.25 45 competition model? Does it feel a little spongy like a Glock trigger or is it more crsip? Who does trigger work for the XDM series?

13. jrw113

jrw113 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My XDm 5.25 is one of my carry guns. Is it a little big, yes, but any carry gun capable of holding 14 rounds of 45 ACP is going to be big. Regarding the prior post about the trigger. I ended up putting in a PRP drop in trigger kit to get rid of the pretravel and overtravel.

14. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Depends on your personal feelings about "balance". Most like slightly muzzle heavy for faster shooting. I can't get a XDM here, but I love my muzzle hvy XDTAC. It's way to big for ccw so I did get a compact, very nice size, light wt, 10+1, conceals far more easily than the long grip service or TAC.

15. mustang_gtcs

mustang_gtcs XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The trigger on the XDm45 5.25 is the same as any XDm. It is spongy like the Glock and has a longer take up and longer reset than Glock.

I installed the PRP ultimate match target trigger kit in my XDm45 5.25 to make it the way it should have been from the factory.

I give all my XDm's the PRP treatment. The only down side is it makes an already expensive gun even more expensive.