Springfield XD Forum banner

XDm .40 SubCompact?

7K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Enjoi829 
#1 ·
I emailed SA asking if they have any future plans for an XDm .40 SubCompact and didnt get a reply.

Any word through the grapevine about this? I would think they'd have a lot of interest in one.

Thanks for any info you have!

#4 ·
I dont see them making a "Sub compact" in the M series since the compact is pretty much already a "Sub compact" except 3/4" longer

#6 ·
I was wondering the same thing but decided to get the XD-40 SC instead. While the XDm Compact is very nice and almost the same dimensions, I wanted the smallest size for the caliber. I'm not very big, 5' 6" 135# and I'm planning on this being my CC handgun. That said, so far I'm very happy with the SC. The money I saved in the difference in cost I can use to buy ammo for practice and get my crossbreed holster :)

#7 ·
I was wondering the same thing but decided to get the XD-40 SC instead. While the XDm Compact is very nice and almost the same dimensions, I wanted the smallest size for the caliber. I'm not very big, 5' 6" 135# and I'm planning on this being my CC handgun. That said, so far I'm very happy with the SC. The money I saved in the difference in cost I can use to buy ammo for practice and get my crossbreed holster :)
Great choice. I carry mine everywhere in my Crossbreed. Great CC Gun....

:cool:

#8 ·
If Sprimgfield does anything, it will be some type of micro 9 assuming, the want to spend the $ for R&D and tooling. The market is getting full and everyone seems to compare themselves to Kahr.

The EMP is nice but pricey. A polyester framed micro 9 at between $400 & $550 would work. It is s corporate decision. A good model for Springfield might be the CZ Rami. They could do worse.

#9 ·
If Sprimgfield does anything, it will be some type of micro 9 assuming, the want to spend the $ for R&D and tooling. The market is getting full and everyone seems to compare themselves to Kahr.

The EMP is nice but pricey. A polyester framed micro 9 at between $400 & $550 would work. It is s corporate decision. A good model for Springfield might be the CZ Rami. They could do worse.
The RD/tooling cost to cut the 3.8" Compact to 3" SC would be minimal (compared to a whole new gun) and I "hope" it will come in time. One more gun to finish out the Compact line then we'll see where they go.

Though expensive, the Kimber Solo also deserves a look in the small 9mm category.

#11 ·
The exception is why it is not a SC, just a compact. It is fine for a CCW hobby guy but I need a SC XDM 40 for my job. They make an XD SC so I hope they come out with an XDM too.
I find myself switching periodically between a XDm40c and my XD9sc for my work.The 8 tenths of an inch in length makes little difference even when belt carrying. Its no more visible beneath a sport coat of proper length.

#13 ·
...Im confused please enlighten me, the "compact" 3.8 XDm is the same as the "Sub-Compact" 3.8 XDm right? Maybe the only difference would be the grip size? to my knowledge and from what ive gathered while researching people call the 3.8 compact a subcompact as well... Scratching Head..:confused:

P.S. Im new, so take it easy lol

#14 ·
...Im confused please enlighten me, the "compact" 3.8 XDm is the same as the "Sub-Compact" 3.8 XDm right? Maybe the only difference would be the grip size? to my knowledge and from what ive gathered while researching people call the 3.8 compact a subcompact as well... Scratching Head..:confused:

THERE IS NO SUBCOMPACT XDM. The smallest XDM is the compact, which is exactly the same size as an XD subcompact except for barrel length. THE XDM compact is more on par with the XD45c. sc has the 3" barrel, the XDMc has a 3.8" barrel, and the 45c and service have 4" barrels.

This thread began with the OP merely wanting a subcompact XDM.

Makes a difference as a backup on the ankle, though.
yes, it would be difficult to wear on my ankle. Esp since my J-Frame is aleady there.

#15 ·
You seem to be confusing the 'regular' XD series with the XDM series.
(Plus, the XDMsc threads are old Zombie threads, that would have been better off not resurrected :))

There is no XDM Subcompact.
There is the XDM 3.8 (regular) and the XDM 3.8 Compact.
While the XD (no 'M') does have the Subcompact series (3" barrel, as opposed to the XD Service 4" barrel) The 'M' series uses no Subcompact (sc) designator... just Compact.

and yes... In the XDM 3.8s, the main difference is the grip length.
(there may be other subtle differences as well that others will chime in with. ;))
The XDMc can use the longer XDM 3.8 mags (but NOT XD mags).
The XDsc can use the XD Service mags (but NOT XDM mags).

#16 ·
the XD sub compact is a great gun, only difference is no interchangable back strap, other wise is the same gun.

#17 ·
:p
I emailed SA asking if they have any future plans for an XDm .40 SubCompact and didnt get a reply.

Any word through the grapevine about this? I would think they'd have a lot of interest in one.

Thanks for any info you have!

I Have the XDm 3.8 compact, and love it. I also have the SC. the 3.8 is perfect for carry and range. I would jump on that offer:rolleyes:

#18 ·
ok i see now, i got that all misconstrued due to some people on the internet saying "xdm subcompact" when in reality they would be referring to Xdm "Compact" Thanks for clearing that up .. i Knew about the xd SC

#19 ·
the XD sub compact is a great gun, only difference is no interchangable back strap, other wise is the same gun.
Well, except for the match barrel, internal changes that make it so you don't pull the trigger to field strip, interchangable backstraps, differing texture on the grip, barrel length, XDM's better trigger, and differing mags; You're right. It's the same gun.

I can and do go with either.

#20 ·
Well, except for the match barrel, internal changes that make it so you don't pull the trigger to field strip, interchangable backstraps, differing texture on the grip, barrel length, XDM's better trigger, and differing mags; You're right. It's the same gun.

I can and do go with either.
OK is basically the same gun. The basic design is the same, same feel, ergonomics, barrel length? both come in several different barrel lengths. So what?

BTW the XDM 3.8 DOES NOT have a match grade barrel.
Onty the XDM 5.25 comp does

#22 ·
OK is basically the same gun. The basic design is the same, same feel, ergonomics, barrel length? both come in several different barrel lengths. So what?

BTW the XDM 3.8 DOES NOT have a match grade barrel.
Onty the XDM 5.25 comp does
So what? Well, you've gone from saying its the "same" gun, to saying its "basically" the same gun. You've admitted the difference.

BTW: The markings on the barrel of MY XDM 3.8 40SW compact clearly say MATCH.

#24 ·
According to the springfield website spec page the XDM line has a standard steel barrel
with the exception of the 5.25 model which has the match grade select fit barrel.
Tell springfield to change their spec sheet

#25 ·
According to the springfield website spec page the XDM line has a standard steel barrel
with the exception of the 5.25 model which has the match grade select fit barrel.
Thier spec sheet doesn't bother me.

This thread has strayed about far enough, don't you think?

#26 ·
Why dont you tell Springfield to change their sheet, and get a little more aquainted with your line of firearm.
...I should have not even replied i know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.