Springfield XD Forum banner

XDm 40 problems

7K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  dollarguy 
#1 ·
I just bought an XDm 40 about a month ago. I've fired 500 rounds through it and I'm not overly impressed. I'd like to know if anyone else is seeing the same problems:

1) Shoots low and to the left. Even at 20 feet it's as much as 3" off. I have experience shooting and have fired the gun from a rest. I adjusted the rear site and it shoots straight now but still low.

2) Slide does not lock in back position after last round is fired from magazine. Not sure what's causing this. Happens about 1 our of every 100 rounds fired.

3) Purchased 2 additional 16 round magazines direct from SA. One elevator jams 3/4 the way up.

You know how first impressions are. I'm usually a S&W person but took a chance on SA. Has anyone else seen these problems? They are very nice at SA after a 2nd email (no response from the first). They explained how to adjust the sights and said to send it in so they can look at it. I'm just wondering if this is normal for SA? :confused:

#2 ·
1. ur probably not used to the long trigger pull which is making u jerk the trigger which is causing you to shoot low and left.
2. there is no thumb rest on the gun so it is possible that your resting your thumb on the slide lock and when you empty the magazine ur pushing down on it causing it not to lock up.
3. not sure...maybe defective....i know my 40 mags are A-OK..
hope this helps though

#3 ·
Mine shoots beautifully and when I get a flyer, it's my fault. These things are point of aim, not a 6 o-clock hold. I also have problems with the slide lock but it is because of my big paws somtimes rest on the release, again my fault. Never have I had a problem with the mags. I have the same problems with Sigs too. Check on thumb placement during shooting, I bet your doing it too. Good luck!

#9 ·
The slide lock issue is due to your thumb placement. I use the "Combat" grip when shooting supported and have had to learn to place my strong hand thumb on the back of my support hand on both my XDm and my Sigs. It just doesn't take much pressure on the slide lock to override it's funtioning.

Shooting low may be due to your sight alignment or due to parallax at close distances. Per S.A. manual, the XDm-40 is sighted in such a manner that a line draw across the top edge of the sights will be the point of impact at 75 feet. What this means is that you want to split the bulls eye in half with the top edge of the sights, NOT the dots in the sights. Most shooters who haven't read the manual and who are not used to this type of sight alignment, usually report that the gun shoots high because of this type of sight picture. As for paralax error, the maximum error at near distances is the distance from the top of the sights to the center of the barrel, which is much less than you have reported. Because of this, I suspect that your probably "pushing" your gun in anticipation of the recoil. Proper practice with your gun will probably correct for this.

Tips for proper practice. Have a friend load some random snap caps in your magazine. Once you pull the trigger on the snap cap and you see the gun jerk when it doesn't fire, you'll be quite convinced that you've developed a "push" flinch. Curing a flinch starts with knowing, and admitting, that you are flinching. After that, you do what works. Which for some means practicing dry firing at the line before you start shooting as a relaxation exercise, bascially spend 5 or 10 minutes dry firing the gun until your rock solid steady. For more drastic flinchers, it may mean spending time shooting a mild caliber, such as a 22 or 38 spl. I now warm up at the range by shooting my 38 revolver in double action. This provides a double benefit, it's stopped the flinch that I was starting to develop cold and the double action practice has really improved my trigger control.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I had thought I may be jerking the trigger but thought I ruled it out by using a bench rest. I realize my S&W 9mm is different than my XDm 40 and it may take awhile getting use to. I've fired 500 rounds through it now and will keep trying. I did adjust the rear sight and it is now shooting straight, just a little low. I'll try the suggestions for vertical aiming.

Those of you that said I'm probably resting my strong thumb on the slide catch, you are absolutely right. I was using it as an anchor point when I draw and fire. I'll reposition it and see if that cures my slide not locking back issue.

As far as my magazine problem goes, I'll just contact SA and ask for a replacement. I don't think there's much I can do for the elevator getting stuck while firing.

Thanks again.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I had thought I may be jerking the trigger but thought I ruled it out by using a bench rest. I realize my S&W 9mm is different than my XDm 40 and it may take awhile getting use to. I've fired 500 rounds through it now and will keep trying. I did adjust the rear sight and it is now shooting straight, just a little low. I'll try the suggestions for vertical aiming.

Those of you that said I'm probably resting my strong thumb on the slide catch, you are absolutely right. I was using it as an anchor point when I draw and fire. I'll reposition it and see if that cures my slide not locking back issue.

As far as my magazine problem goes, I'll just contact SA and ask for a replacement. I don't think there's much I can do for the elevator getting stuck while firing.

Thanks again.
you can still jerk the trigger on a bench rest.
I would buy a set of snap caps and randomly put them in a clip. It is the only sure fire way to be sure that you are not jerking the trigger.

#12 ·
Update: I went back to my S&W and shot fine, my XDm 40 continued to shoot left so I drifted the rear sight to the right and it shoots left/right fine now. I tried to adjust my trigger pull multiple times with no help, only drifting the sight helped. I also contacted SA and they are going to replace my magazine at no charge, great customer service there. The slide not locking back was me using the release as an anchor point for my grip. After adjusting my grip position, I have not had any more slide issues. So I'm happy right now except for the fact it's getting harder and harder to find ammo at a decent price.

#13 ·

Thanks again.
Do you make sure all of your rounds are seated properly in the magazine? Usually this is done by smacking the back of the magazine on the heal of your hand or some other firm surface to make sure all the rounds are positioned to the back of these magazine. This helps to avoid the nose of the bullet from dragging on the magazine which is more prevalent with double stack mags.

#14 ·
Yes, I tap the back of the magazine to seat the rounds, same as I do with my AR-15. I ran out of ideas so I sent my XDm back to SA for them to check out. I'm still waiting for it to be returned. It's been 4 weeks. SA said it may be another 2 due to weather and range conditions.

#15 ·
PSOH. I have the same problem with my slide. I have about 4000 rounds through my XDM40 and recently I used 185 JHP hand loaded with power pistol. it was a spicy load even through my SV, but I digest:D. The point is that my slide randomly started remaining in the forward position after my last round was fired. I had 4 people on the range trouble shoot it (no pun intended). We tried different mags thinking it may be the follower, and that did not solve the problem. We tried 4 different loads to rule out ammunition (including factory and hand loads), and that had no effect. I called SA and explained my problem and they sent me a new slide stop and spring free of charge. I figured that was the problem, but it wasn't a big issue considering I was shooting IPSC stock auto with it and it made for a great modification:D, but I did have to carry it to work the next day so I installed the new parts and it worked immediatly without a hitch.

Stu

#17 ·
Glad that you are seeing some of your problems clearing up. Gun caused problems are not normal with the XD or XDM series. The SA response of send it in and we'll fix it if there are any gun related problems is Normal. Enjoy.
I've had my newest XDM for nearly a month and haven't been able to get to a range to shoot it yet.

#18 ·
:-:)-:)-(Well I have the same XD M and everyone is raving about it so I baught it . I also have a sub compact xd 9mm and I'm a pro with that little gun. I had taken my new XDm 40 to the range and I hate it . It makes me mad and I'm not impressd and I love springfield Xd pistols . I thought it might be me with the trigger pull it is a little harder than my sub 9mm and a little longer pull . I cannot hit mt target ever and I'm wasteing a lot of money shooting it. I have 500 rounds threw it and I thought it may be because its not broken in . I have tried all the grips and I even compensate for the trigger pull and I cant even bring it to where I want it to hit. With my compact I can do a head shot at 30 yards! It has never jammed . When I pull the trigger I will pull it to max just before it fires to compensate for trigger pull and It still wont hit at all. Is there somewhere I can send this to get it fixed? I heard SA will fix it or may even give me a new gun!!!:confused:

#19 ·
When I am holding my XDm40, first of all I point both thumbs down range. I am right handed so when I first grip the gun I grab it with my right hand and plant it snugly between my thumb and palm where the pad tip of my index finger barely fits on the trigger. I then take my left hand around my right and place the thumb of my left hand on the take down switch (pointing down range) and then place my right thumb on top of my left thumb. This method keeps your right thumb off the slide lock.
From my experience, if you are right handed, your right hand is used to squeeze the trigger and your left hand is used to control the handgun...

#20 ·
When I am holding my XDm40, first of all I point both thumbs down range. I am right handed so when I first grip the gun I grab it with my right hand and plant it snugly between my thumb and palm where the pad tip of my index finger barely fits on the trigger. I then take my left hand around my right and place the thumb of my left hand on the take down switch (pointing down range) and then place my right thumb on top of my left thumb. This method keeps your right thumb off the slide lock.
From my experience, if you are right handed, your right hand is used to squeeze the trigger and your left hand is used to control the handgun...

Question Shaniac,

Thank you for your detailed grip process.

I am dry firing snap caps using your instructions. I am becoming comfortable with all of your post until here:

and then place my right thumb on top of my left thumb. This method keeps your right thumb off the slide lock.

By placing my right thumb on top of my left thumb I leave the indented groove that fits perfectly against my right thumb. Following your grip all the way, I find nothing wrong with the feel either, but I am not at the range firing to see any differences.

Do you think SA designed those thumb grooves solely for a one handed grip/fire sequence? Alternatively, have you simply found your method a personal preference?

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.