XDm .40 cal ammunition

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by harleywood, Dec 28, 2008.

1. harleywood

harleywood XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What do you guys like for target ammunition for the XDm .40?

2. joeythefish

joeythefish XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    I'm a noob, but I asked the same question and was told at the shop where I purchased my XD (M) 40, they recommended for practice using Winchester 40 S&W, 165GR. Full Metal Jacketed. The box says for target & range, but like I said I'm a newbie.

3. oillogger

oillogger XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  4. rickett

rickett XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd say just go with the Winchester White Box .40. It's $30 per 100 for .45, and I can only imagine .40 would be cheaper. Just my .02.

5. rabbitXDM40

rabbitXDM40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I just picked up .40 Blazer Brass 180gr FMJ at my local Wal Mart (Spokane, WA) for around (edit) $12.50/50 (just checked my receipt)

At the same time I say that, they also told me there's been a run on the ammo, and a LOT of warehouses are going dry in .40SW and 9mm Luger ammo.

Here are a few other places online I've poked into...

AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors
    Natchez Shooters Supplies
    Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide
    www.ourdoormarksman.com
    Ammo, Ammunition, Rifle Ammunition, 9mm Ammo, Military Surplus
    MidwayUSA — Shooting Supplies, Reloading, Gunsmithing, Hunting, Ammunition, Gun Parts & Rifle Scopes

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  6. VR4

VR4 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Blazer Brass and Winchester all from Wally World

7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Mine likes the 180gr best and I have found Magtech 180gr flat point to be very accuraate and less expensive than most.

8. oillogger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Georgia Arms (0.263/round) or BVAC (0.25/round) will run when purchased by the 1000. That includes tax, title, license, so to speak. The cheapest factory ammo I can find in stock is the Blazer aluminum at Natchez Shooters Supply for 0.282 cents a round shipped to my homestead out in the swampy area. I have been looking at the reviews and BVAC reviews seem to be OK as well as Georgia Arms. One guy stated his XD 40 eats BVAC ammo just fine.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  9. mdx

mdx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Blazer brass is good for price and reliable accuracy. Very accurate shooting touching shots.

10. oillogger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I also like Blazer Brass from my limited range experience. For the last three weeks I have had 10 boxes of 40-cal, 180gr, FMJ,Brazer Brass on order from Wal-Mart. So far Wally World cannot determine when and how much so I'm chasing down a more sure supply of ammo.

11. rabbitXDM40

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

I hear that. My Wally World had literally just gotten in a shipment of Blazer for the .40, but only the 180gr. I had hoped to get some 165gr to compare, so I had to settle for WWB for that. Oh well.

I receive my weapons tomorrow morning, so will update after my first range test.

12. Hoel6466

Hoel6466 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have yet to find ammo cheaper or cleaner than Blazer Brass. It is near impossible to find at my local Wal-Mart. I was in Spencer IA this past week though and they had close to 15 boxes in the ammo case. If I hadn't just bought my wife a P30 I would have bought it all. It's hard to beat for $12.57 for a box of 50.

13. Jim K

Jim K XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wally World near my house is out of Blazer Brass also. Bought some WWB.
    $30/100.

14. oillogger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There would have been 15 boxes in my auto for sure. Wally World Blazer Brass here was $12.47 per but I'm afraid that may no longer be true anymore. One guy somewhere on this forum has already quoted $14.00 for Blazer brass at his Wal-Mart.

Let's do the math for comparison sakes. $12.57 (per box) X 1.0875 (my local tax) / 50 rounds = $0.2734 per round for Wally-World Blazer Brass. Hmmmmm.....still may go the BVAC route for 1000 reloads for $0.25 per round since I'm not really having much luck with my local Wally World.

I just do not know what I'm gonna do if Obama keeps helping all of us middle class out with the price of ammo. Excuse me while I go earn some more for those who have never worked before.

15. rabbitXDM40

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

That "one guy" listing $14.00 at Wal Mart was me. *l* And then I looked again at my receipt and edited my post (it was actually $12.47).

Sorry for the confusion!

16. oillogger

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

No problem....it's easy for me to make an mistake. After all, I have not been right in the last 26 years since I've been married. :( Just ask my wife. :roll:

I fully expect Wal-Mart to be soon forced into a higher price for ammo because of the current demand. Just wait until we start seeing higher ammo/weapons taxes later this year. I'm also afraid all that the only guns you will be able to purchase will be bolt action deer rifles and shotguns for shooting birds and/or skeet. I see the deck being stacked already for Obama's agenda. His plan of putting science back in the Whitehouse consists of a team of four global warming advocates/scientists that have already advised the Whitehouse and Congress in the past. I wonder what thier agenda will be? No coal, no oil, no gasoline cars, no nukes, etc. and add windmills, electric cars, cow patty stoves, homemade catsup etc. Heck, we probably will not be able to kill the fire ants in our yard because we will be violating their rights to nest anywhere they wish. Lord help us if we lay a hand on a killer bee!

17. rabbitXDM40

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

It'll sure be interesting to see what he does.

He could go the other way, ya know. By that I mean not imposing a lot of platform agenda so as to secure his next term in office. After all...why upset the apple cart until you know you've got another cart to jump onto?

If my musings turn out to be correct, he will probably focus on the Iraq/Afghanistan issue by trying to broker peace and a quasi-pull-out. He may be successful by using these planted "scientists" and agenda-aligned staff members to bombard the American public with all sorts of "information" so that they (we) get overwhelmed and concerned (look at the economy and how we're already reacting to it), at which point the President could come back with a withdrawal and peace agreement under the guise of "focusing on our homeland" to ease the public conscience.

If he's smart, that'll take about the next 2.5 yrs to get to, during which the Democratically controlled House and Senate will position themselves as being "in charge" of as many large corporations as they can through our economic crisis. Then he'll likely spend the next 9-12 months "doing what's best for America". Then he'll campaign for the next Presidency. THEN, once he's started down the road to "fixing our problems at home", there will be a direct shift in tactics and we'll probably see a lot of push for the Liberal/Democrat agenda with increased government subsidized health care, etc.

But hey...I'm just an unemployed welder. What do I know? ;)

18. NATE42ND

NATE42ND XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go to your local gun shop and buy by the case. I have been getting Speer Lawman brass for about 12.00 per box. You just have to buy 1000. It's nice to have it though.

I just can't believe how much .223/5.56 is these days.

19. ragsflh

ragsflh XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Supply and demand.some dealers 1st time ever been out of ammo.

20. Hoel6466

Hoel6466 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

What's wrong with homemade catsup? Combine that with a little homemade sausage and that's some good eatin!:D