XDM 3.8 Compact vs. XDS

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by guitarnstuff, Aug 20, 2012.

1. guitarnstuff

guitarnstuff XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This will be first handgun. I like the double stack better (fit of the hand) vs XDS but both are nice. However, the budget will only support one gun. I worry about concealment. I am 6 ft. 225lbs. My typical summer dress is shorts and tee shirt. I'd appreciate advice on which as it I can afford this purchase only once.

Sent from my mind using telepathy.

2. GH41

GH41 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nothing will work with shorts and a tee unless your belly roll will cover the gun. You trolls kill me. I can here it now from the girls--- I want to carry in my G-string bottom. What do you guys reccomend?? I guess if your ass crack is deep enough you could carry it there. If you need to carry at the beach you are going to the wrong beach!!! If you feel you need to carry you need to wear cloths capable of hiding the gun. You guys kill me!!! GH

3. inanebignate

inanebignate XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    What ? I conceal my xdm 45 compact just wearing a t shirt in a cbst and nobody can tell I have it. If the shirt is not too short and not to tight you should be fine

4. StogieC

StogieC XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow. Just wow. When I started carrying I was still in the army. At 6'2" and 185 lb I can assure you that there was no belly hiding my sidearm when I dressed in shorts ans a T-shirt. These days I'm much rounder than I was then. And it's harder now to conceal now with the belly than it was then when I was a fit infantryman. I carry my XDS now in shorts and T-shirt or polo all the time. The thin profile of the gun really hides easily. In jeans or heavier clothing I carry my XDM 3.8 .45 Compact.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

5. stvan1

stvan1 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can get an IWB holster that will stay concealed when you carry an XD-S but just not a tight fitting shirt. An XD-M, just a little more problematic.
    You have a bigger problem though. If you are not a seasoned pistol shooter the XD-S is not the best gun to learn on, ammo and range time are not cheap either. That being said the XD-M 3.8 Compact in 9mm may be right up your alley. Just a little heavier,wider and longer but in a good holster in side you waistband you may pull it off. I do and I don't cover it up with fat rolls either.

6. rharp

rharp XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I carry a XDM compact 9mm, using a Crossbreed Supertuck holster and a Crossbreed belt. I am 5'9" 230 lbs. I can conceal just fine in a T-shirt and shorts. Well enough that I can carry for most of the day and my wife doesn't even notice. I carry at the 3:00 position. I did go up a jean size in most cases, some pairs I didn't have to. I wear the same size shirt as I did before, but I've never been into tight shirts in the first place. I do wear an undershirt, such as a "wife-beater", so the holster doesn't rub on me. It is definitely possible to conceal this gun with a T-shirt, although there are guns that would be easier. I am saving up for a Sig P938 that I can carry easier in the summer months, but for right now, I am completely happy with the XDM. Watch out for some of the die-hards on here. Some think that you can only wear button-down Hawaiian shirts or be all decked out in 5.11 gear to conceal a firearm. Others realize that a T-shirt does the same fricking thing!

Also, you may check out the S&W Shield. I have never personally handled or shot one, but I have seen excellent reviews regarding this firearm, and it is similar in size to the XDS. Just a thought.

7. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can carry either one. I own both & can CC both in shorts & a t-shirt. No spandex though. I prefer the XDS because it is a little easier to hide & my pants fit better!

Here are a couple pics of the XDS & XDM 3.8" .45 compact:twisted:

Attached Files:

8. Country78

Country78 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    those pics really make me want to get the xds now, i hope it comes out in 40sw soon

9. kd5zmg

kd5zmg XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The XD40SC I carry here in San Antonio is concealable depending on the holster you use. I recently discovered the Sticky holster.

In shorts with a normal belt and a baggy t-shirt, the sub-compact is concealable. I know you said you are doing an XDm, but I think they are thinner than the XD models. I could be totally wrong, but they feel thinner IMO.

Oh, I'm 5'3 and weigh 200lbs+ = phat.

10. guitarnstuff

guitarnstuff XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone for the advise.

Sent from my mind using telepathy.

11. TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 2
    ^ :?::?:

In the following photo, I have my XDm9 3.8 Compact at my strong side, IWB in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro holster at the 2:30, with a severe forward cant.

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEKU4sBoPtg&feature=youtu.be"]KungFu Panda - YouTube[/ame]
    ^ Aside from the fact that I shot horribly during that little end-of-day contest! :oops: :lol: Hey, it was the last day of a 3-day (HE01) class, all right? :p The same setup as above. Yes, "KFP" was my nickname through HE01 and HE02. :lol:

Below, I'm again concealing the 3.8 Compact at the 2:30, this time, though, it's a bit more apparent, but that's because I'm using an OWB holster (due to the class, which was shot from open), a Raven Concealment Phantom, set up with a pancake wing at the rear.

[​IMG]

So, as you can see from these photos, this is me, pretty much every day. I've got a ton of those Old Navy "Ringer" shirts...the old torn ones go for training, and the newer ones are my daily-wears. I'm an academic scientist, so I don't have much need to ever alter my daily dress. :p

I guess I could wear shorts with it, but I'm just more comfortable in jeans.

I'm about the OP's size/build.

To be honest, the OWB magazine holders I use for class (for daily carry, I only carry one 19-round magazine on my off-side, in a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB holder, as spare) - to say nothing of the cell-phone I tote at the 11:30 position (why would I bring a cell phone with me to class? because I've seen, first hand, someone *repeatedly* try to shove his cell-phone into his gun on emergency reloads; I don't want to be that guy, if I'm ever unlucky enough to be in a gunfight) - are much more apparent. :lol:

I don't up-size my pants or my belt for carry.

We are all built differently. Our clothes are styled differently and drape differently on our bodies. "Dressing around the gun" has more than one meaning - we need to keep in mind that not everyone's lifestyle is necessarily conducive to certain manners of carry.

guitarnstuff, I think you can easily do either gun, with the way you say you'll be dressed, as long as you don't go with "fitted" shirts and use good support gear (i.e. a good belt, a good holster). The XD-S addresses one of the biggest complaints of the double-stacker Compacts/Sub-Compacts: their width, so depending on how the gun carries on your body, with your chosen support gear and clothing, this may also make a noticeable difference.

I'm still waiting on Springfield to bring out the rumored 9mm variant of the XD-S because when I do have to "dress like a human" (i.e. suit-and-tie), I do find that my XDm9 3.8 Compact, in the way I typically carry, tends to not conceal as well (and that's why I own a Kahr PM9). Not to say that I've ruled-out the current .45-ACP, rather, I'm just waiting to see how much added capacity I may get, with the 9. :cool:

Hope this helps!

12. jguillet

jguillet XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are holsters to conceal just about any thing. I have a .45 XDM and I can hide it. it is a bit heavy and at times I go to a Sig P238. The gun you have with you is better than the one you left in the car because it was too big, or uncomfortable. You should have no problem. Crossbreed super tuck delux will work. Belly band will work. etc.

13. TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 2
    ^ Exactly. :)

Each unique person is just that - a unique case.

What works well for one person may work even better for another, or not be acceptable, at all.

Unfortunately, it's going to take a bit of trial-and-error.

14. mtnrider

mtnrider XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just based on this alone you might want to do a little research on the XD-s before you go that route. You should go over the the XD-s forum and read some of the posts. I will not say good or bad but I will say it may be a little "finicky" especially if this is your first gun. Just food for thought.

15. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any gun can have problems.

Not all but alot of the problems you read about the XDS is user error IMO. Plus half the people posting crap about the XDS do not even own one. Just going off hear say or what they've read.:evil:

My XDS has been 600rds. of pure awesome!:)