XDM 3.8 9mm Compact (Trigger/Sights)

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by tcmixman, Jan 25, 2012.

1. tcmixman

tcmixman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am looking at a 3.8 Compact 9mm for EDC. I am not concerned about feedback as far as caliber is concerned but, I am looking at whether it is worth getting my trigger and sights upgraded by SP or PRP. I have shot my friends XD9 with custom 4.5 trigger and it is a dream compared to my stock XD40SC trigger.

Q. Is the trigger job worth the money for an EDc and occasional IDPA gun?
    Q. Are the factory sights ok, or should I get some Dawsons or TFO's?

2. jspen

jspen XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I too have a xdm9c, I am saving for a trigger and sites now. i shot my 1st IDPA match last Sunday and feel sites and trigger could really improve my shooting. I can shoot the gun just fine slowly but quickly SHTF. I am going to get the PRP Ultimate trigger and a Fiber Optic front sight.

3. mattc1886

mattc1886 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the 3.8 compact in 9mm as well. If you are just planning on using it as a carry gun the sights and trigger are just fine. However I too am planning on upgrading both. There is nothing wrong with the stock setup but as with an factory weapon it can be improved upon.

4. cjacob

cjacob XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i'd suggest upgrading sights to night sights, I plan to go with the xs big dot, mainly because I feel like that's what my eyes will like, good combat sight and i think I'd have an easier time than the 3dot

5. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    For a carry gun, the overriding requirement is total absolute 100% without a doubt reliability. yes? While PRP, Springer and SA custom are fabulous shops, there have been reports from customers of all of tweaks needed to overcome issues. Just a rare few, but issues are bad. Nothing is louder than a "click" when you were expecting a "BANG!".

My opinion is for a carry gun that you stake your life on, the best reliability is found from the factory trigger.

With that said, you can have a competent gun shop polish the sear, striker, striker channel and any other wear areas along with the barrel feed ramp. That will dramatically smooth out the action and make FTF's even less likely.

6. tcmixman

tcmixman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback. I watched some videos on Youtube and saw the dramatic difference between the factory and custom triggers. I have been made to understand that some of the parts in the PRP trigger are certified by the SA custom shop and it may work well for me. I am hoping that the upgrade will be worth while for me. As far as sights are concerned I am still working that thru :(

7. RichardS

RichardS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've installed the Springer kits on my XDM 9mm 4.5 and Compact recently and am a big fan of those. Once properly fitted I cannot see how they could be anything but _more_ reliable than the stock setup as the parts that are replaced look to be higher quality than stock. So IMO reliability is not the concern, it is whether or not you want a shorter trigger pull and reset. I am more comfortable and shoot better/faster with the shorter pull and reset but that may not be the case for everyone.

I have truglo TFOs on both of mine but agree with what was said above about those not really being required for a carry gun. I do like them but would choose trigger work first.