XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or non-compact? Any big difference?

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by NaciaN, Jan 26, 2012.

?

XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or Non-Compact?

1. XDM 3.8 9mm Compact

2. XDM 3.8 9mm Non-Compact

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NaciaN

NaciaN XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    XDM 3.8 9mm Compact or Non-Compact??? I was wondering what would be a better choice and why. I was thinking that with the compact, I could just add the X-tension mag if I wanted it to be the taller size with more rounds. But with the non-compact, I have no choice to actually make it compact and easier to conceal... unless I wanted to hacksaw that thing, which is truly not an option I am willing to take. Does anyone know if this is the only big differnce between the two? I'm planning on making my purchase either tomorrow or over the weekend and any input would be great.

SIGp250 compact, .40 and .357 with SIGLITE sights

2. locoyon

locoyon XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No other difference, get the compact.I have the compact 9mm and a full 40,no difference.

3. monkey

monkey XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have both. I'm a big dude so the large-ish "compact" hides well on my hip. The full size is just that little bit too bulky for everyday carry. Accuracy is the same. In fact for some reason I think I actually shoot a little better with the 3.8".

4. GrahamC

GrahamC XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's your better choice, no other difference except possibly the price but that all depends upon where you buy it. Compact gives you a choice of 2 guns to have, small grip for concealed carry or full grip for home defense or open carry

5. pidevildog07

pidevildog07 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you ask around at your local gunclubs/ranges to see if they rent out these particular two? Or do friends have them?

6. RedRaider

RedRaider XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like you answered your own question.

7. NaciaN

NaciaN XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to test out the gun prior to the purchase but unfortunately, the local gun ranges around do not have the XDM for rental. From the feedback that I've recieved and research I've done, I'm quite sure I'll be pleased with my XDM purchase. Thanks to all for the input and the poll votes!!

8. drp1371

drp1371 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Depends on how you are going to use it.

9. Milhouse86

Milhouse86 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    All I have to say is Options.

10. TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 2
    With the XTension installed, you should not be able to discern a difference between the Compact and the 3.8.

My problem with the Compact, using the XTension, is purely one of my hand/anatomy and my grip technique. I favor the full "Roll-Over Wrist-Lock" described by D.R.Middlebrooks, and when I loose a long string, the leverage exerted by my support/reaction hand pinky against the magazine causes the XTension to really drive into the meat at the heel of my shooting/gun hand, which then temporarily "welds" the magazine in-place, causing it to not drop-free. This does not happen either with my full-sized XDm9 (which, of course, the standard 3.8 mimics, in terms of grip length) or when I use the truncated magazine with my Compact (even with a Pearce "pinky" Grip Extension, it still does not drop the magazine down far enough for me to get that pinky lock on it).

Remedy? I'm now using Middlebrooks' "Practical Reload," bumping the magazine release with my reaction/support-hand thumb tip and then proactively strip the XTension-fitted magazine from the magwell.

The trade-off in terms of speed of the off-hand accessing the spare magazine at my waistline is certainty that the expended magazine will be out of the magwell of the gun, as well as ingrains consistency in terms of malfunction remediation and reload-with-retention.

But remember, this is something that I've encountered because of my specific grip and my hand - YMMV.

----

My EDC is a 9mm 3.8 Compact, using the "flush" 13-round magazine with a Pearce Grip "pinky" Extension on the bottom. This allows me to carry and conceal the gun in the manner that I desire. Off-side is counterbalanced with a full-sized 19-round magazine, using the XTension.

I encountered this problem in a training class, with my range/class 3.8 Compact. I was able to also duplicate it with my carry 3.8 Compact (yes, I have two). Again, this is just me. It may not hold true for anyone else.

11. Izzoquazzo

Izzoquazzo XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ditto to WSiWRX. I bought my XDm Compact specifically as a carry gun. It rides very nicely in a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster. I carry two 13 rd mags in a holder on the left hip. All 3 mags have the Pearce extensions on them. I'm making a new mag holder that will carry one 19rd mag horizontally instead of vertically. With one in the pipe that gives me 33 rounds at my disposal.

I have 4 19rd mags and use them for IDPA shooting which I do just for the practice. I don't compete, but do pretty well with it. Don't miss much.

12. Ridge

Ridge XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 3
    I can't think of any down-side to the compact. You get two guns in one. If I would have put more thought into it, I would have purchased the compact. I got the full size though. Love the gun but should have gotten the compact.

13. Trobbo

Trobbo XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go with compact 2 guns in one youll love it.

14. forddiesel

forddiesel XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love my compact 40.

15. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    Compact