XDM 3.8 45compact vs XD 45 4"' compact

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by zee, Jan 17, 2013.

1. zee

zee XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just looking for some opinions and advice on both...None here in the stores to fondle...The specs on SA website don't seem that much different..Trying to find both or one to handle so I can check them out...Have always heard good things about both...I currently own an XDS 45,and now I'm looking for something just a little bigger to go with it in a 45...Thanks in advance..

2. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    Hey, Boomer Sooner! You can't go wrong with either and both will be great for carry. I like the extra's on the XDm but since I use the medium back-strap I think the XD Compact would feel pretty much the same. One thing to be aware of though, the XD doesn't like LSWCs but the XDm has been modified to function with them. I shoot a lot of LSWCs, but then again, my XDm .45 ACP is the 4.5 model and I ordered it sight unseen and have been nothing but completely satisfied. ;)

3. zee

zee XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many thanks 57K...Can't find anything in the stores here right now...And the prices have jumped on these as much as 30% here...Buying site unseen on line or just waiting till the dust clears here are my only options right now...

4. Partinrn

Partinrn XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You will get opinions, of course. Mine is go for the 4" compact. I just prefer it over the 3.8. They are both great guns, and again this is just my opinion but I do prefer the 4".

5. StreetFightingMan

StreetFightingMan XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Zee I'm glad you asked for this comparison. I'm going through the exact same debate right now. I held an XDs but I'm not sure how I like how thin the grip is. It feels like I'm gripping my cell phone and I like the feel of a full double stack grip. I have a 4.5" XDm and the grip prints a little bit when IWB and wearing a t-shirt. I think I want a 45 so that leaves the XD9sc out for now. The dark earth/bitone is looking pretty sweet but I keeping back and forth. 9mm is cheaper but 45 is more readily available in my area.

6. jerry806

jerry806 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Zee,
    I own the 4" compact XD as well as the3.8m both in .45acp bitone flavor. I have added a prp trigger to the XD and use it pretty much for range work. The XDm compact is in rotation with my XDmc 9mm and my pocket carry Ruger LC9. Both the 45s have run flawlessly for me. Either one carries just fine in a CBST. I don't carry the XD much because the trigger is pretty light for carry but the m is as sweet as it gets when out and about.! I live in South Florida and most of my carry is done in shorts and untucked Guy Harvey t shirt, bare feet or Tevas.(in my sixties, I just never grew up!! :) Good luck you'll be happy with either one.

7. Partinrn

Partinrn XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

This

8. hooked

hooked XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went with the XDm 3.8 compact..

9. SHOOT

SHOOT XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same here. Just like "m's".

10. silvabaQ

silvabaQ XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 1
    I cant imagine there being much of a difference outside of the .2"
    I cant see you making a bad decision with either.

11. zee

zee XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Appreciate the replies and info/advice.Going to order one from SA this morning.heading down to LGS shortly..I'll let you know what I come up with !

12. XDM.45compact

XDM.45compact XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the XDm 45 3.8 and I cant believe how awesome this gun is. I have had no issues with it and has run flawlessly. I am a big guy (6'3'' 270) so conceal has never been an issue. I like the double stack over the XDs for control and size of my hand.