XD9sc ammo question ...

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by custompolz, Feb 15, 2010.

1. custompolz

custompolz XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    New to the forum and see users saying the XD will eat about anything. My Beretta 92FS likes 147 grain bullets and so I have quite a few rounds (Super-X for the range, WinClean for indoor range and Winchester Ranger for home personal protection). My question: the XD89sc has a 3" barrel ... am I going to need to purchase lighter weight bullets for it? Would love to hear from somone using the 147gr in the sc in 9mm. Thanks all ... great forum and information. :)

2. jtyler05si

jtyler05si XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shot two boxes of 147 grain reloads this weekend. Before that I was shooting some boxes of 115 grain... before that.... I don't know. I guess it's true it eats everything. I never have had any problems so I haven't had to remember any "don't buy _____ brand/grain bullets"

3. digitalexplr

digitalexplr XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My 9sc is load's ed with HST 147gr JHP for SD/HD. They work fine.

4. genXer

genXer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shoot 115 and 147 out of my SC with no problems at all.

5. XD9SC Shooter

XD9SC Shooter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've shot a bit of everything from mine. Now I'm feeding it a steady diet of bargain 115gr JHP, but have not had a single feed failure no matter what I've tried.

6. Bravo_Kilo

Bravo_Kilo XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For self defense, I wouldn't carry anything less than a quality 147gr JHP. :D

7. jj79

jj79 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1.

8. Ernest Kovacs

Ernest Kovacs XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you practice like you should, it will not matter what grain defensive rounds you use. Placement is the important thing. Practice will stop a bg sooner than a heavy bullet in the wrong place. PRACTICE ,PRACTICE ,PRACTICE

9. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I've been shooting my XD9SC for about four years now, and have not noticed any difference in range shooting for any weight, or type of cartridge. They all are equally accurate and reliable.

I keep it loaded with 147 grain +P hollow points for CCW (Golden Sabers). It's just seems intuitive that a heavier bullet will have more effect.

10. ryr8828

ryr8828 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    Wouldn't a lighter bullet have more velocity?

I'd like to see some discussion on this, so far I'm just using what I have, I don't even remember what it is.

11. apexhunter

apexhunter XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not to hijack the thread but to answer ryr's question: a lighter bullet will indeed have more velocity, period, but they lose velocity quicker due to having less mass to maintain speed. But what one looks at for SD situations is energy and that is where a heavier projectile can shine as they maintain more velocity and typically penetrate further.

Comparing the ballistics of a 115gr to that of a 147gr projectile, there is a crossover point where the 115 has slowed down and it's energy is virtually equal to that of the slower 147. Granted, in many 9mm loadings this crossover point is around 25 yards which is outside the realm of most SD situations, but at and past that point the 147 will have more energy.

It is like comparing a baseball at 90mph to a softball at 80mph and deciding which one would you want to be able to accurately deliver onto a target.

12. ntg

ntg XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  13. Bravo_Kilo

Bravo_Kilo XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Obviously accuracy is important. But given a choice between a 115gr JHP and a 147gr JHP for my self defense, I'm gonna go with the 147gr every single time. Increased bullet mass will increase penetration, and excluding CNS shots, penetration is the single most important aspect of a bullet's ability (note: not shooter's ability) to stop an assailant. There have been numerous documented incidences of insufficient penetration with lighter 9mm ammo. For example...
    Surely no cartridge will work all the time, but some will work more often than others and any edge is desirable in one's self defense. If you want to load a lighter grain bullet for your SD use, and rely on training for head shots that is obviously your prerogative. While I can see no real advantages carrying a lighter bullet over a heavier bullet, I see one major disadvantage - less penetration. Personally, I'm gonna go ahead and take every advantage I can and carry the heaviest bullet available for my chosen caliber while at the same time, training myself to put them on target.

14. pastordan

pastordan XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 on my subcompact and 147gr bullets, they work flawlessly. I love heavy bullets in all my self defense weapons. Velocity is definitely higher on lighter bullets but it is not speed alone, it is speed times weight so it evens out so to speak. I carry Federal HST 147gr but angalino puts a list up that covers a large group of good ammo.

15. fsmith2610

fsmith2610 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    The list that Agalindo [sp] posts is a good starting point, but very little data is available from SC length barrels. Ammo may function reliably and be accurate but have poor expansion. Hornady CD ammo is an example of this in my opinion. Even though I can only test in wetpack I have found that the CD ammo does not expand through denim into the wetpack.

For me, 147's are superior to 124's and +p offers little or no advantage over standard pressure rounds.

My choice for carry are Federal HST 147's, but there are many excellent choices out there. Do your own testing and trust your own judgement. If you trust what you carry you at least have a fighting chance.