XD9 Tactical to Springer Precision....Mod tips?

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by pilot511, Apr 5, 2011.

1. pilot511

pilot511 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is my first post on here but been stalking the forums for a little while now.
    I currently own a XD9 Service, XD9 Tactical, XDm9 and XD40 service and love each one. I've been shooting steel matches with my XDm9 but wanted to get into IDPA as well. I have some money aside and wanted to send my XD9 Tactical out to springer and really turn it into a beast.
    So far my mods list includes:
    -Competition Trigger Job (2.5-3#)
    -Solid Guide Rod
    -Dawson Adjustable Sights (fiber optic front and target rear)
    -Barsto Match Barrel
    -Extended mag release
    -Grip Stippling

My main questions were am I missing anything that anyone feels would be a good addition while I have it there?
    And should I just leave the springs stock or is a different spring to use where the gun will feel better?
    Also I'm debating between the regular front site height vs the raised front site-any suggestions?

Thanks and input would be greatly appreciated.

2. psychocabbage

psychocabbage XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How do you currently shoot? What did you classify as in IDPA?

3. pilot511

pilot511 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't gotten into IDPA much just because the matches conflict with my work schedule, so just doing steel targets/bowling pins where I can and range but I'd like to start. A new range opened up near me which hosts events that I could participate in.
    With the XD9 Tactical stock usually I'll do 2" groups at 7 yards.
    (if that answers your question).

4. sherpa

sherpa XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I presume you already have an IDPA-approved holster? In my opinion, I think you have more than enough. Personally, I'd rather save and exclude the Barsto and Guide Rod, and use some of the money saved instead on practice & ammo. Before I even received my HS9 Service, I was also planning on getting lighter recoil springs and a guide rod. But after I shot it, I was surprised with how effective the stock dual-springs are. I'd suggest enjoying more shooting time and practicing your fundamentals and technique, and I'm sure you'll get more from this. For the grips though, I simply use 3M tread tape or skateboard tape, but this is a matter of preference. My 3 cents ;)

5. pilot511

pilot511 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I appreciate the advice and the gun is very accurate out of the box. I was just looking to do what I could at once, would I really see much tighter groups or really notice the weight of the barsto barrel vs stock? It is a big chunk of change, but I would like any advantage I could really get with this set up. It will see a lot of range time as well.
    Thanks.

6. sherpa

sherpa XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You mean to spend a chunk of money 'at once'? :-D Again, I would still just consider spending on quality practice time and ammo. There are many quides too available, particularly those from Brian Enos. You'll get a lot of info from fundamentals to advance. Just w/ the fundamentals, you'll already be spending a lot of time to master, as it also involves understanding, discipline, and training your body. I'm pretty sure if you want to go for good performance in competition, this is what I'd focus on. The stock barrel is pretty accurate already only if the shooter does his part (unless you got a lemon, for w/c SA would be glad to replace it).

For the trigger job, grip enhancement, sights, I would agree, since these contribute to significant improvements at minimal cost, but for the barrel, I wouldn't even be sure if the price is worth the little improvement in accuracy (if there really is) over stock. Provided you have a normal stock barrel, believe me, you'll benefit more by developing your skills in accuracy. OTOH, if you're really looking at getting the Barsto as an extra/spare barrel, then it might be a good consideration.