XD45 5" Compact, mod questions

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by jnelson789, Dec 13, 2008.

1. jnelson789

jnelson789 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everybody, I got my 5" compact in July and have learned the real meaning of the ZZ Top song "Gun Love"!
    Anyway, it's been a couple months, so now I want to do some slight modifications to it. I have somewhat small hands, so to engage the trigger safety I have to twist my hand around in such a way that I lose the standard 1911-style hand grip. This coupled with being cross-dominate kills my proper pistol form. I saw the springer precision upgrade and am interested in it for the 50% pre-travel reduction. I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and if the trigger upgrade did the trick. Also, would you reccomend the trigger bar in addition to this or would it be unncecessary? Note that this is a defense pistol, so I don't exactly want a half-pound trigger pull and no pretravel

Also, I was looking at aftermarket Tritium sights for $70 through Cheaper than Dirt. That seems like a good price to me, but I'd like to know if anyone has factory or aftermarket night sights and what they think of them. Thanks everyone, first post!
    -J. Nelson

2. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    To get the reduction you are looking for you will need the trigger bar however it will leave just a little pretravel. I've got short fingers so it works well for me however I could still reach the trigger safety before the upgrade. The full kit gives you a 4-5# trigger so it's still good for carry. I used Trijicons and they are excellent. There are others that are a little brighter during the day but I can see mine fine.

3. Bellevue_Dude

Bellevue_Dude XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Trijicons are good but IMO TFOs are better, since they give you some extra goodness when there's some level of light about. There's a long thread on sights, which will give you more information and context. My only advice is to have a pro install them for you. You can have it done with the rest of the work you are considering. Depending on how much money you are willing to invest, it might be interesting for you to look at the work RoBar does. He did my Tactical and it turned out to be amazing, both functionally and look-wise.