XD40SC Slide Release Problem, Caused By Magazine?

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by FishstiK, Nov 18, 2011.

1. FishstiK

FishstiK XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm having an issue with my new XD 40 Subcompact. As a foreword, I am using EMPTY magazines, and I am NOT pressing upwards on the slide release while racking the slide.

I've only had the weapon for a couple of days now, and everything is stiff. I guess it's because it's new? Anyways, most of the time when I rack the slide without the magazine in, it returns forward, cocked and ready to fire. If I place and empty magazine in the gun, the slide most always catches in the rear position. I have a hard time getting to slide release to work because I have small hands, but otherwise the gun seems to work fine. If I place a magazine in the gun and pull the slide, it will catch on the slide release. After it catches I can remove the magazine, pull on the slide and it will go forwards. It seems to me that the magazine is causing the issue.

I noticed that when the slide is forward I don't have a magazine in, the slide release can be pushed up a bit. When the slide is forward the magazine is in, the slide release can hardly be moved, but it's only able to be pushed down. I'm unsure if this is supposed to happen, but it seems bad. What if I needed to pull my gun and chamber a round? The slide generally always sticks with the magazine in.

I haven't put any ammo in the magazine yet because I am not comfortable with the gun to that point yet. I have a terrible habit of grabbing the trigger to rack the slide that I am trying to break.

If anyone knows what may be the solution to this, I'd like to know. I really want to go to the range but I am having problems trusting myself to operate the gun with the slide always catching back.

2. kwheels

kwheels XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds to me like its working properly.
    The magazine is supposed to push the slide release up...thats how the slide locks back when the gun is empty.
    I just purchased a xd 40sc last week, and it takes a good bit of breaking in before everything seems to work without a ton of effort. On the first day, and especially before i had fired it, it was nearly impossible to drop the slide with just my thumb. After firing around 50 rounds through the gun, the operation is much smoother.
    If you put ammo in the magazine, and rack the slide, it shouldnt stay back, and should be ready to fire. Everything else you said sounds like how the gun is supposed to work.

If all else fails, there is an aftermarket slide release thats a little more ergonomic you could buy to get a better grip on it

3. sschrick

sschrick XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    without magazine in XD, when you rack the slide, it will always return to original position.

with empty mag in XD, when you rack the slide, it will always lock back. This is to simulate when shooting a mag loaded with ammo, when you shoot the last round the slide locks back.

with mag having any rounds loaded, when you rack the slide, it will chamber a round and return to original position.

unless I misunderstood something, there is nothing wrong with you gun

4. FishstiK

FishstiK XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Alright, cool. Sorry for the lame question, but this is my first handgun. Thanks a million to you guys for the info.