XD40 Powder River Precision Technical Difficulties

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by DPDerleth, Jul 2, 2011.

1. DPDerleth

DPDerleth XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an XD40 and I'm having some issues with the kit. I did install it myself and I'm pretty confident with my mechanical skills. The gun fires the first 11 rounds just fine and then doesn't fire the final round. It does after pressing the palm safety and trigger safety several times and then randomly fires. I have attempted it with all 4 of my magazines and the same issue happens. I'm curious as to what might be causing this and if anyone had any advice. I'm ruling out magazine issues for now. I even load two rounds in each magazine and then attempt to fire the last shot and it doesn't fire, so it is definitely a last round issue. Please Help!

2. DPDerleth

DPDerleth XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I also forgot to mention I have a Wolff Guide Rod with 21lb Recoil Spring, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

3. MSHancock

MSHancock XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So the last round does make it into the tube? If so then pics would help a lot.

4. DPDerleth

DPDerleth XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yea it makes it into the tube. I have to reset the palm safety and the trigger safety about a half dozen times and then it fires. I don't have to rerack the gun or do anything drastic, it just randomly decides to fire. I think it might be related to the safety features of the Powder River Kit. The guy from Powder River Emailed me and told me "it sounds like I need more over traver. IE the back of the trigger." Not really sure what that means. Does it mean shave off more of my over travel stop?

5. MSHancock

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  6. wyofool

wyofool XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After installing the kit in my 40sc it worked great the first few times I shot it but then had to file a little more off the back of the trigger. That was some time ago and a lot of lead down the pipe since then with out any problems at all. Just go easy on it and you should be ok. I used a jeweler's file so as to not take of much at any one time.
    Good luck with it

7. DPDerleth

DPDerleth XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did install the Oversized Trigger Safety that came with the kit if that's what you mean MSHancock. I filed it down but it's basically doing the exact same result as the factory trigger safety. I did file down the over travel stop like Daniel from PRP suggested. But I won't be able to test it until I get to the range tomorrow on the 4th. But your video appears as though you actually shaved your trigger. Why?

8. MSHancock

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was wondering if you are using both the over travel stop that drops in and a complete trigger. If you just installed the safety on the stock trigger your fine. The complete trigger allows you to take the drop in over travel stop out. My vid shows the new trigger and where it looks like I filed is my over travel stop. If you listen you will hear two clicks. First one is the sear resetting and the second is the
    fire(striker release).

9. MSHancock

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So did you get to test the changes Dan told you to do?

10. Smoker03

Smoker03 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Curious as to what the outcome was. I agree it sounds like the overtravel stop needed to be filed slightly.

11. DPDerleth

DPDerleth XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haven't tested it yet but I plan on it as soon as I can find a range in the town I'm in. I've been fighting cancer for the past year and my doctor gave me permission to head home so I'm no longer in Tampa, FL which is quite populated by pistol ranges. Melbourne, FL on the other hand has 1 pistol range and you must buy ammo from them so there goes the 800 leftover bulk ammo rounds I purchased. But I did shave a bit off of the OverTravel Stop so If that's what you guys think the problem is then I hope I will be good to go. Thanks again for getting back to me.

12. Smoker03

Smoker03 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All the best to you, and keep fighting.

13. Bugs1961

Bugs1961 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just added a new member to my collection: a new XDm40c stainless from Kyle's Gunshop. He has fantastic service--gun was in the mail the day after I ordered on line. Free shipping and in my hands three days later. Now I need to get with PRP and get a kit on the way. Since I have their kits on my other two Springfields I won't be able to live with the stock trigger!

I've put in two PRP trigger kits and have found that outside air temperature makes a big difference with the trigger over travel stop. The guns would work great, with minimal over travel, when dry firing at home but fail to work at the range in January. The triggers needed a whole bunch more removed from the over travel stop to function reliably in colder temps.

Try this:

Put your unloaded, but cocked, pistol in the freezer for a couple of hours and then pull it out and dry fire it.

If you have minimal over travel at room temp, I'll bet it won't fire frozen. If it's always warm where you live-fine, but many places get pretty cold.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  14. DPDerleth

DPDerleth XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did get to test the XD after sanding off some more of the Over Travel Stop and still the same issue occurs. When I smack the gun on the side it then allows me to fire the final round. The sear doesn't really move at all when I am on the malfunctioned round and I don't see how the over travel could be the issue. But I did shave off some more and I'll check it next weekend to see if the issue is resolved. I PRAY IT IS!! I am so accurate with that gun and I don't want to be frustrated anymore. Thanks for all who have or had any advice.

15. Smoker03

Smoker03 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I believe there was some talk from PRP that after quite a few rounds of range time, the heat expansion on the slide can keep the sear from tripping. In order to fire, you just need to take a little more off the over travel stop.