XD-S 9mm. Why?

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by GrumpyMoose, Jan 15, 2013.

1. GrumpyMoose

GrumpyMoose XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 1
    I know there has been a lot of excitement about the new XD-S 9mm, so this isn't meant to bash anyone who wants one and I didn't want to hijack anyone's thread either. But I can't understand what all the excitement is all about.

The XD-S 45 ACP is a truly unique gun in that it merges 21st century innovations in advanced polymer frame, striker fired handguns with the older 1911 frame single stack design resulting in light weight perfectly concealable weapon with the powerful ballistics of the 45 ACP. A one of a kind gun in today's market (soon to be copied by others I'm sure).

The new XD-S 9 mm is a mystery to me however. LAST TIME I CHECKED, 9MM ROUNDS WERE ABOUT 20% THINNER THAN 45 ACP. So in keeping with the innovative spirit of the line, a single stack XD-S 9mm itself should be roughly 20% thinner than the 45, resulting in an even more concealable weapon yet. This is obviously not what has happened. I don't want to say that Springfield was lazy with ths gun - but they were. A 9mm XD-S should be sized more closely to a modern .380 auto, not a 45. Instead I undestand that Springfield up-sized some components like the barrel to fit the thicker slide. In other words, if one CC's an XD-S 9mm you are carrying around extra material put there by the designers to make the gun bigger than it actually needs to be. Just doesn't sit well with me.

2. BradXDM45c

BradXDM45c XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree.

I was hoping like hell it would be smaller than the .45, but when I flipped my XDS holster over, and saw "XDS .45acp 9mm .40s&w" I had a feeling they would all be the same size.

I was really wanting it to be smaller so I could add it to the stable, but I can say that I will not be adding it to the stable.

2 more rounds than my .45 xds? woo hoo :rolleyes

3. galadrium

galadrium XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't see why they can't slightly stagger the 9mm rounds in the magazine. Should give a few more rounds.

Personally, I like the idea of the XDS in 9mm or .40. I currently carry a G27. and would appreciate a slightly thinner pistol. I want something the size of a Kahr PM9, but with the trigger and grip safeties the XD has.

4. Chicago2VP71

Chicago2VP71 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Glock G30S anyone? :D

5. XDguru

XDguru XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0
    +1000

6. bashman

bashman XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I think you're looking at it wrong.

If they had released the 9 first, and then the 45 came out the following year, everyone would be "hole-E crap, it's as thin as the 9! This is the greatest thing since sliced wonder bread!".
    But since the 9 came first, you're saying "why didn't they make the 9 any smaller than the 45?".

And I'm guessing physics and engineering has a lot to do with it, too. Only so thin that you can make a handgun and still have all the necessary functioning parts inside it.

7. BradXDM45c

BradXDM45c XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

My LC9 is thinner, and still has the parts in it that make it go bang...

8. Sassafras

Sassafras XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 3
    Could be the 9mm operates at a higher pressure, I'm not an engineer.

9. Gealousy

Gealousy XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Did they release the specs of the Xd-s 9?

10. saltair

saltair XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Bingo! That's what I'm waiting for...long wait.

11. Devin.Morris.007

Devin.Morris.007 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You ask why. I ask why not? Lol

12. inanebignate

inanebignate XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    the xds is plenty small imo. it would have cost them alot more money to make a similar gun but smaller than to just do some tweaks in order to change it from a 45 to a 9. Its all personal preference the .45 is a great round but some ppl prefer 9mm. in the xds the 9mm will have 2 more rounds and less recoil. Usually only 2 more rounds is nothing to write home about, but since it is a low capacity gun ppl see that as a pretty big advantage. Both my carry guns are .45 and I was planning on getting a xds is .45 but now that the nine has been revealed I almost wanna try both of them out side by side and make a decision. if the 9mm only carried one more round than the .45 I think alot of people would be less interested.

13. speedster00

speedster00 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I wanted something the size of a glock 30 S, Id buy (and have and sold) an XD SC 9mm.

I agree with the op though. If the size is the same, Im carring the bigger round.

14. inanebignate

inanebignate XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    They revealed it at the 2013 shotshow. No telling how long until we can actually get our hands on it. I would guess at least several months probably longer

15. F_G

F_G XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My reasons are not for me personally. My wife who shoots, but isn't what I would call an enthusiast picked up my XDS .45 and said, "Wow, that fits my hand really well and feels really good". She shot the .45, but doesn't like the recoil. To see that bit of a spark in her eye concerning a firearm is well worth the pittance I'll pay for a 9mm XDS. And to all the Shield lovers out there, yes she did handle and shoot one, shrugged her shoulders and said, "It's ok".