xd mod 2 service.. pros and cons

Discussion in 'Springfield XD/XD(M) Range Reports' started by Petespoiled630, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Feb 5, 2017 #1
    Petespoiled630

Petespoiled630 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    thinking of buying a xd mod2 service 9mm.. looking for pros and cons about the gun. want to hear honest opinions from people who own and shoot xds. to many other forums offer opinions but few have experience with the firearm... thanks

2. Feb 7, 2017 #2
    vtroid5

vtroid5 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    I've had my mod 2 service 9 for over a year now and am still very much pleased overall with my purchase especially when combined with the extra mags from the gear up promo. These pros and cons just represent my opinions.

Pros:
    - Construction/Finish on the gun, (polished feed ramp, beefy dual captured recoil spring, very thick and rigid polymer)
    - Feel in the hand (all jokes aside, the grip zone feels great in the hand and points naturally)
    - Safety features (tactile LCI, Cocked indicator, grip safety - great for holstering and unobtrusive otherwise)
    - Sights (Fiber optic is great out of the box)
    - Reliable (0 true malfunctions, I have had user error malfunction I'll get to that)
    - Easy controls, takedown, maintenance
    - Magazines are SS and pop out with force (ambi release)

Cons:
    - Writing grip zone on the gun detracts from overall look.
    - Slide stop is easy to ride and cause issues. I am right handed and the thumb of my trigger hand tends to want to sit right by the slide stop. When this happens there is a potential for out of battery issues. That being said, the gun is somewhat sensitive to riding the slide in general. To me I looked at this as a training issue and have not had any sort of issue like this from month 2 onward of owning the mod 2.
    - Not really a con, but I am not a fan of the polymer slide rail (although beefy). I would prefer this to be all metal.
    - Trigger reset is a bit longer than I would like
    - Weight efficiency (double edged sword I do like the premium feeling, but it is less capacity and more weight than a g17)

Overall it's a good gun that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a stout striker fired polymer gun with a ton of features right from the box.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Feb 7, 2017 #3
    HuckleberryHound

HuckleberryHound XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have about the same. Had mine for about two months now. Love the way it feels in the hand. To me it feels like the barrel is and extension of the pointer finger instead of sitting high up in the top of the hand. "Grip zone" grip from design seems comical but of all the pistols that I handled it by far felt the best without rubbing my hand raw. I also wish the slide rail was even steel reinforced. Seems like there could be issues the more rounds that are put down range.

4. Feb 9, 2017 #4
    windhampensacola

windhampensacola XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    I do not think I could add anything important that vtroid5 posted concerning the feel and all. I own or owned several brands: Glocks: 17, 19, 26,, S & W SD9V, Springfield XD9 4 in, XD9 SC Mod2 3in., XDs 9mm 3.3in., and even Hi-Point 380,9 & 45 which may or may not mean much when it comes to opinions. I really liked the XD9 over all of the ones I had or had shot until I traded in one of my Glock 19 and a little cash for the XD9 SC Mod 2 3 in. I do not hate the XDs 9 3.3 in., but do not love it. I can say that on all the Springfield's they seem to me to just line up best when brought up to shoot and the XD9 4in. & the XD9 SC Mod2 3 in. just shot great for me, but I like , no make that love the XD9 SC Mod 2 3 in. the best.

As for the Grip Zone thing doesn't mean a hoot to me and I could care less what others think about seeing GRIP ZONE. It how it feel in my hand and of course how it shoots for me. Really, it breaks down to how any gun feels in your hand and how you feel about it. I wish I could say you can not go wrong with the XD series, but that would not be honest nor do i have that kind of knowledge or foresight.

5. Mar 18, 2017 #5
    First XD

First XD XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    1000+ rounds of Blazer 115 & 124 through Mod .2 SC and zero mechanical issues. No failures to fire or eject.

6. Apr 1, 2017 #6
    uprm

uprm XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    The mod 2 9mm 4" was my entry to the 9mm club. Have plenty of 45's and reload so feeding them isn't so bad. However the 9 is a bit easier to handle. When I take somebody new shooting, I start with a 22 rifle then if they want to try a handgun, a 22 1911, then we go to the 9mm. It handles well and is cheap to feed. I think it is a good time to get one with the promotion Springfield has going. The Shield has a good promo going now also, however get the one that fits you better.

7. Apr 1, 2017 #7
    KW Gary M

KW Gary M XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 1
    I have a 9mm MOD.2 service and love it. About 3,000 rounds and zero problems. It feds JHP, FMJ, cast lead all with ease. I have a variety of high end protection ammo, cheap Walmart plinking ammo and hand loads. All have been flawless.

8. Apr 21, 2017 #8
    Bizkitjmd1

Bizkitjmd1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This is a very nice review. I have been looking into a Mod2 9mm for a few months and this is helping me pull the trigger so to speak

• Like Like x 1