XD Mod 2 9mm Tactical Competition Holster recommendations

Discussion in 'XD MOD.2' started by Steady, Apr 6, 2017.

1. May 16, 2017 at 8:31 AM #11
    LoneSal

LoneSal XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Once you actually get your hands on a serpa and train yourself to use it properly, it is safer than most holsters. The way you lay your finger flat on the paddle down the groove and then draw, keeps your finger naturally out of the way from hitting the trigger yet ready to fire immediately. The ALS give no such guideline.

Just like the weapon itself, it's only as dangerous as the person who is holding it. Any holster can be dangerous if you don't take the time to train with it. 5 careless shooters shouldn't have voice over the thousands upon thousands of people who carry one daily without issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. May 17, 2017 at 3:20 PM #12
    JWA

JWA XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +842 / 13
    While I've not carried or used any of the Serpa offerings this was my initial thought about their configuration and actuation after watching a few YouTube videos where accidental discharges were experienced. Like so many other factors about handgun safety training and near-constant practice with the desired equipment is the difference between safe and unsafe.

I can see how a "lazy" finger could be a problem with this type holster though. All the more reason to train, train and train some more if this would be the holster of choice.

3. May 19, 2017 at 9:55 AM #13
    hammer22

hammer22 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Maybe it's just me, but a good holster should be intuitive and not require additional "training" to keep one from doing something stupid. The ALS holster took about two seconds to figure out and get comfortable with when it was issued, and anyone using them would probably agree. Your thumb position is natural, which makes the draw as easy as can be. Adding to that, weapon retention is important, and with the release button on the outside of the Sherpa, it's not as secure as the Safariland gear.

4. May 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM #14
    Jonnyuma

Jonnyuma XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3,924 / 65
    I like that Comp-Tac piece. A damn sight cheaper than G-Code stuff too.
    I like G-Code, but I'm in my EIGHTH WEEK of waiting for a very simple Incog Eclipse right now.
    I know that because A) I am a sentient being with a sense of self and the passage of time, B) I have a calendar, and C) they send me an email every friggin' week telling me how long it's been since I've ordered.

I also endorse the Safariland ALS/GLS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. May 19, 2017 at 11:45 AM #15
    cerealbyter

cerealbyter XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +397 / 4
    Technically, keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready fire should be intuitive. If you can't figure out how to keep your finger straight while drawing a firearm from a holster, sell all of your guns. There is nothing wrong with the serpa, the fear of them has been brought on by the actions of lazy or stupid users.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. May 19, 2017 at 11:56 AM #16
    cerealbyter

cerealbyter XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +397 / 4
    Oh as far as holsters for the tactical in competition, I run BladeTech and a custom holster from Sul-Tac.

7. May 19, 2017 at 6:47 PM #17
    hammer22

hammer22 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 7:53 PM
  8. May 20, 2017 at 7:38 AM #18
    JWA

JWA XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +842 / 13
    I remember my first time even holding a striker-fired pistol, having been far too accustomed to revolvers or Model 1911 styles with dedicated safeties of some sort----thinking it was a good idea to carry with a revolver hammer cocked or a semi-auto without the safety was simply not ever on my mind.

So to me if we're to blame a SERPA for bad habits I'm wondering why we don't have manual safeties on all guns? Sure the design and function might not be first preference of instructors or ranges but I'm curious if that's not due liability rather than any real safety issues?

Then again regardless someone's preference for or avoidance of something will ALWAYS be a subject of disagreement by someone else. Naturally if "you" are prone to have an accident with a product "you" should by all means avoid it. Calling for it being abolished altogether seems a bit extreme.