XD(m) vs. Beretta PX4 storm

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Sergeant XD-45, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Sergeant XD-45

Sergeant XD-45 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone,

I'm trying to help my friend choose a new gun. He really has his heart set on buying a Beretta PX4 40S&W. He just bought his first handgun, as did I, a little over a month ago. He purchased a SCCY CPX-1 which turned out to be a huge piece of crap! The safety is horrible, and the spring guide is already bent after only 200 rounds...but that's entirely another story.

Anyhow, i was wondering if anyone here has shot both guns and could recommend a certain one. Obviously i expect a few biased answers seeing as this is an XD forum, but i would really appreciate an honest opinion.

His primary reason for buying the PX4 is home protection for is fiance in the event he gets deployed. I believe the deciding factor for him is the amount of recoil the gun has due to the fact that his fiance isn't an experienced handgun operator, and she is pretty small. Also, he mentioned that he wanted a Beretta because he has liked the brand name since the original Resident Evil games...not a very good reason to choose a particular gun, but oh well. I think another issue with which gun he will chose is concealability...just to keep that in mind.

I shot my XD-45 for the first time this week, which i've instantly become addicted to, and it had a whole hell of a lot less recoil than his SCCY, so i imagine that the XD(m) .40 will follow suite...but like i said...he's pretty damn determined to get the PX4.

I appreciate the help!

2. robinsre

robinsre XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I've fired both the XDm and the PX4. I found no measurable difference in recoil.

Both are fine, reliable handguns and both would serve well as a bedside self defense firearm.

3. Sergeant XD-45

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Well thats good to hear at least. I figured a Beretta would be a decent gun...it really can't get much worse than his SCCY!

4. azmtnbikerxdm

azmtnbikerxdm XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I just fired the PX4 tonight alongside my XDm 9mm and it really is personal preference. Not real recoil. I think she might like the 19+1 for the XDm but that is up to her. Both great shooting guns.

5. R1ch

R1ch XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    We spent a lot of time looking at the various options in 9mm. With two radical different hands to fit (her's and mine, smaller vs larger) it was tough.

Also this was going to be our first handgun, so we really weren't sure what we were doing. ;)

We tried everything we could rent at the range, but that was limited. We then went to a lot of local gun shops and also a gun show to handle as many as we could find.

In the end, it turned out that the best feel in the hands was between the S&W M&P 9 and the XDm 9, both fitted with their small size handgrip adapter. We ended up with the XDm as she thought it felt better to her for size and we both thought the trigger felt better.

Originally I wanted the S&W because the handgrip adapters were easily changed and I thought we could change them at the range (it's very easy to change) to toggle between fitting her hand and fitting mine. But now we're very happy with the XDm. It's not easy to change the handrip adapter, so it's easier for me to hold a small handgrip than for her to struggle with one that's too large (I want to try to be sure that she enjoys shooting, so her comfort is important).

I don't remember how the Storm compared, but it didn't bubble up to the top, I don't remember why, which is a bit strange because we really liked shooting the 92FS, but its grips were large for her.

I'd recommend that your friend take his fiance out and have them both try to at least hold each gun in their hand. Be sure to try the different handgrip adapters. Feel how the trigger feels, etc.

I don't know about the recoil on the 40, but the other day someone had an XD 45, we tried right in the middle of strings we were shooting with our XDm 9, and neither of us noticed a large difference as we had expected between shooting the 9 mm and the 45 mm. Maybe because we're still new to shooting? We both expected a much bigger recoil difference, it just didn't happen, even when she was using a gun with a larger handgrip.

6. thatguy

thatguy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My wife is 5'1" probably 120(ish) and has no problem working my XDm .40

Even got her racking the slide with ease now...

7. ThumperIII

ThumperIII XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    If the decision is between these two pistols (both good). Have the wife decide. She is the one that that has to be comfortable with, capable of racking the slide, and hopefully accurate in using the purchase. Getting involved here is dangerous--like a domestic. If anything goes wrong--you will be the one to feel the blame from both.

8. Pwarrior

Pwarrior XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a xdm 9mm and a px4 storm sub compact 9mm. The px4 full size and the sub have very similiar ergos (sub is a tiny bit smaller than the full size grip, with a shorter barrel). It all comes down to personal preference. Berettas have less of a shooting angle on the grip than the xds do. I actually think that the beretta has less recoil than the Springfield in the 9mm, even considering that mine is a sub compact.

I have medium to smaller hands and find that the beretta fits my hand better. Although, I shoot both guns equally welll. Best thing to do is go and shoot both guns to find the best fit. Both guns have their pros and cons. One thing to consider is the waranty. Springfield has a life time whereas beretta is 3 years.

9. Sergeant XD-45

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, he bought the PX4 today. He got a fairly decent deal on it too. Since we are military, they sold him the military package which included and extra magazine(3), night sights and something else but i cant really remember off the top of my head what it was. Out the door it cost him 570 bucks if i remember correctly.

I really wish that i had heard about the limited warranty that Beretta has, that might have influenced his opninion a bit, especially considering how horrinble his SCCY was...but Beretta is much more established, so hopefully he wont have any problems with it in the future.

I did get to shoot it though and i must say that it is a pretty nice gun! I do like my XD-45 better, and if i were him i would have bought the XDm, but he seems pretty happy with his purchase.

I must say, i'm filthy accurate with both of them! I just wish the Air Force would let me qualify with the M-9, maybe i could get the Marksmen ribbon!

Thanks for the input everyone!

10. TMP

TMP XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Now he will need one of these:

[​IMG]
    I so wish Springfield would make us something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. spoolup

spoolup XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Congrats on the CX4 purchase. I have been off of work the last few days and did not get a chance to put in a few words on things, but I am sure they will like the PX4. I now own 6 XD (2 being Ms) and 5 Berettas 2 being a PX4 and CX4. I will second the getting a CX4 in PX4 configuraiton if you can. The thing is AMAZING. She would even like it, when I take mine to the range I lend it out alot and its mainly the girls who ask for it first and the guys who go for the 9mm AR. Remember a handgun is nice since it can be hidden, but its real purpose is to get you to a rifle or shotgun.

On the PX4, make sure he goes over the SA DA operation, get some snap caps and have her practice firing both ways and then go to the range prior to leaving and have her fire both ways since the increased trigger pull will throw her off alot without practice. I take you got a rev F with saftey, so teach her to use it and to access it under deress.

I am sure you will like her protection, and you take care to while out there. Return home safe to her.

Again really think about getting a CX4, mine. EDIT*** If SA does build a carbine in 45 I will by it as well, the CX4 45 does not have a large aftermarket following for higher cap mags. Wish it did, as it would give me a excuse to buy one and the PX4 45 DET I have been looking at.
    [​IMG]

12. kmc757

kmc757 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Congratulations to your friend!

I have had a PX4 .40 for two years. Liked it so much I bought a second. I recently bought my first XD also a .40.

They are both great guns. Very different though.

I prefer the PX4 safety for a gun to use around the house. It is my house gun. I use the XD for carry, where I believe it's safety approach is better.

As to the warranty, from what I have heard, if there is a major defect after the warranty period, Beretta stands behind their product. Be sure your buddy mails in his registration card or register on the website within 30 days. It will extend the warranty from 1 to 3 years.

Also, have him check out the Beretta forum posts on changing the trigger spring. If he has a type F, you can change the main spring to a "D" spring and reduce the trigger pressure on double action from around 11 lbs. to 8 1/2 lbs. It is a $5 part and take five minutes to change. It really improved my accuracy on the first shot when in DA mode.

13. Skidmark

Skidmark XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I own the XDM 40 and my girlfriend owns the PX4. We shoot together almost every weekend. I've shot her gun several times and I can't discern much difference in recoil. If anything her PX4 seems to have a little less recoil then my XDM40. The PX4 fits her hand better then my XDM 40.
    [​IMG]