XD(m) 9mm - compact vs. full-size

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by seattlemark, May 28, 2011.

1. seattlemark

seattlemark XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm trying to decide between the compact and full-size 9mm - primarily for range use. I've seen some great range reports on both here, but want to hear if anyone has noticed a meaningful difference in accuracy between the two.

Thanks.

2. gzigoris

gzigoris XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are not concerned about concealed carry then go with the big guy. Full size guns are more fun at the range.

3. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ^^^ Agree ^^^

Owning both I still prefer the 4.5" when going plinking at the range, both guns are more accurate than myself. Some people have complained about the Compact grip pinching them when they use the 19 rounder, at the seam. I have not had that problem, but it might be something to consider. Next I want the 5" Tactical model.

4. Poink88

Poink88 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In general (everything else being equal) a heavier pistol will have less felt recoil and should be faster to re-acquire target. Proper grip size also help control the pistol better. Longer sight (front to rear) usually contribute to better accuracy as well.

Hope these help you make your decision.

5. rocknsnow

rocknsnow XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can conceal a xd9 service, and now a xdm 4.5 just fine. And I am about 6 foot and 200 pounds. I like shooting a full size weapon better, and thus that is what I shoot and conceal, or open carry if the situation allows for it.

6. SebZE835

SebZE835 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 for the 4.5

7. mixednuts

mixednuts XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The 4.5 would be the better choice if it's strictly a range toy. I love mine and it serves me well every week at my local league matches.

8. Tenzzz

Tenzzz XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have both but I usually use the XDM 3.8 or the 4.5 when at the range or shooting matches. The longer length is suppose to improve accuracy.
    I would think the accuracy would be more determined on your skill level as a shooter. I watch guys shoot with expense thousand dollar pistols with all goodies at range but can't hit a target. I shot matches with better results with my XDSC9mm then some of them and I've been shooting less than 6 months.
    If available see if you can rent both at a range and test them out.

9. TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Like the others said, the full-sized pistol will hold certain undeniable advantages.

But if you're looking for something that holds the size advantage, in terms of concealed carry, then the 3.8 Compact should definitely be on your shopping list, as it really doesn't give up all that much, but trades increased concealment capabilities, especially due to the shortened grip frame.

I'm a beginner, and distances greater than 15 yards - even more so when I'm on the move - is where I really see a difference between my full-sized and my 3.8 Compact (both 9mm). And certainly, while the 3.8 Compact will punch holes in paper or knock down steel all-day just as well as its full-sized counterpart, the latter is undeniably more of a pleasure to shoot than its smaller sister. Nevertheless, that's not to say that the 3.8 is anything but fun, either: I've said that I regard my range-time with my Kahr PM9 as "work," with that as a reference, shooting my 3.8 Compact is nothing short of fun.