XD(M)9 - Threaded barrel options?

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by SicSemperTyrannis, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SicSemperTyrannis

SicSemperTyrannis XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good evening fellas,

Are threaded barrels offered for the XD(M)9 yet? And if so, who would you recommend I purchase one from?

Any anecdotal accounts of how the XD(M)9 cycles suppressed?

2. rabbitXDM40

rabbitXDM40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

New guy asking question...

Why have a threaded barrel?

And what does the second question mean? (something about "cycles suppressed")

3. Jmanwit

Jmanwit XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    He wants a threaded barrel so he can attach a suppressor (silencer) to it.

He was also asking if anyone had any first hand experience with a silenced XDm-9.

SicSemper, I saw in the XDm Photo thread, there was a .40 that was suppressed. Ask that guy if you get no answers.

4. rabbitXDM40

rabbitXDM40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

Is that one of those things that's legal in some places and not in others?

5. sloopy70

sloopy70 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you have to pay a special tax to own one, and pass a more extensive background check if i'm not mistaken...

6. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    yes. most states let you get suppressors. i have one for my 22lr and its TONS of fun.

im not 100% sure but i think you can get a 5" and get it threaded.

this is from pistolgear.com website

"Note: If you are going to run this barrel in the XD-M, you will need to order the "Tactical" version and have the length cut and crowned if you want a flush fit. If not, the barrel will extend beyond the end of the slide by roughly 1/2 inch.

hopefully someone can give a definite answer

7. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
  8. xdm4life

xdm4life XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0
    any more info on this?

9. MagicPie

MagicPie XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Storm Lake makes XDm barrels that can be threaded.

I have a XD9 suppressed(in avatar), which from my limited experience with XDm9, is practically the same in overall design.
    In my 400+ rounds of suppressing, none of those with a cleaning, I have not yet had a problem cycling the gun, and 70 rounds of those were when the gun was dropped by accident in sand, with the slide locked backed, and no magazine. Creating a very gritty, dry and oil free gun.

10. 9eAV8R

9eAV8R XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got nothing for you on how an XD or XDm handles a suppressor, but I want one too. Badly. Check out Barsto. They made the "match grade" barrels that were an option on the original XD so I've asked them about extended/threaded barrels. They'll do the work. Can't vouch for how reasonable or competitive the prices are, but in multiple emails, they've assured me that an XD or XDm barrel can be had. They make their own, so they can pretty much do whatever you want. Here's my original email and response with Barsto:

me: I emailed awhile back about extending and threading a barrel for a SA-XD40 4". I'm now looking to sell that gun and buy the new XD-M .40S&W. What would it take, if possible, to get an extended, threaded barrel to fit the XD-M (comes with a 4.5" barrel from SA)? Thanks for the info

them:
    Sir- Yes, all you have to do is order a 4'' or 5'' XD and in the comments section add in there that it is for an XDM. The cost is $290.00 plus $15.00 shipping. All of our extended barrels are going to be approximately ¾ of an in longer then standard length. If you have anymore questions please feel free to contact me. Thank you and have a great day!

They're at Bar-Sto Precision Machine

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  11. inSight-XD

inSight-XD XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hesitated to post here as I have no readily useful info regarding your question. However, Im just curious...why the need for a silencer?

I thought about acquiring one of these for my Sig, but given its use for HD purposes, I could only imagine the look on the jurors faces knowing that I used a suppressed weapon to take out the BG!!! Not good....

Plus, lets face it...those things put the "E" in expensive!

12. xdmikey

xdmikey XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    they're not as expensive as you think, even for a good one.
    tell the police/jury you didn't want to wake the baby/babies!

13. 9eAV8R

9eAV8R XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's how I feel about it. It's not like I'll be carrying my XDm suppressed concealed... The suppressor, as a class 3 weapon, probably isn't legal to carry anywhere but to and from the range anyway, if I had to guess. Either way, I'll be using mine in the backyard to keep from disturbing the neighbors, not in the Walmart parking lot to keep from letting everyone else know I just shot a BG.

14. MagicPie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    They are a bit pricey, mine (SWR Trident 9) cost $595, then required a device to aid in cycling the action for $125, the BATFE tax is $200, the Class 3 paperwork was $75, and the threaded barrel was $200.

Worth it? Sort of, I have no real need for it, but it was simply something new to try out. Still, despite rarely using it, I have no regrets, but will admit, it's sort of a waste of money.
    Plus, I have the best 9mm suppressor out there, and it's still not all that quite, does as it claims-suppressed the report, but it hardly movie quiet-to which I knew was impossible.

There is no law, that states you can't use a Class 3 weapon for defense. It could quite possibly hurt your case, but they depends on a lot of factors.

As far as Texas is concern, there is nothing illegal about caring a suppressor on you. It's simply not practically, but certainly legal.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  15. TimGrz

TimGrz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I could see using it in home defense. It's a lot easier to pull a suppressed firearm then to find earplugs and put them in in the middle of the night.

Plus earplugs could make it more dangerous when there is a BG in your house.

Hearing protection in an enclosed area, like a home, is vitally important.

/tg

16. 9eAV8R

9eAV8R XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The rest of your post about legality is noted. Ditto the impracticality, but I'll have to look more at the legal side. As far as class 3 for carry goes, I want an MP5K for my carry weapon!!! ;)

As for movie quiet, my Walther P22 with a borrowed suppressor certainly is. I haven't tried a large-bore suppressor, but I have to ask since you didn't say - are you using sub-sonic ammo or are you using the regular stuff? Obviously, if the round still breaks mach 1 going down range, it doesn't do much good to suppress it. (FWIW, mach 1 calculates to 1133fps at 75 deg farenheit/1085fps at 32 deg farenheit)

17. MagicPie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    No I'm using various 147 grain, which is all going sub-sonic, a sonic round is very obvious, as you can hear the crack when it breaks the barrier. Which by the way is really neat, as you normally cant hear it over a gun's report without the suppressor.
    I have noticed, certain weather conditions change the noise, some suppressor are more effected by this then others, mine typically sounds the same, although very wet weather seems to help a bit.

I have shot .22 suppressed and some nearly make no noise at all. My 9mm is rather quiet, for the shooter not so much, but anyone else, it's but a loud snapping sound, mixed with a short pop.
    The gun is suppressing well, and on par with anything else I have heard and shot, just it certainly isn't anything near what a movie represents.

And, while not movie quiet, unless one was seeking the noise, and knows what a suppressed gun sounded like, under normal conditions, with environmental noise and all-no one would know a gun was fired.

Indoors, it does hurt the ears, but nothing to the point were hearing is effected. Although, depending on how tight the indoor walls are, it starts to sound close to a gun shot. Still, say if someone was watching TV, and not expecting to hear a gun shot, it is unlikely that would raise alarm.

It's a neat thing to have, but that's about it-neat. Does make you cool at the gun range:mrgreen:

Here's a pic of my XDs:
    [​IMG]

18. 9eAV8R

9eAV8R XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    that does indeed look cool. I'm hoping to get the $290 barrel from Barsto and screw on something from AAC or SWR a little later. Thanks for the info. Got any experience shooting .40 suppressed?

19. MagicPie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Never shot a .40 suppressed, although I know they are much louder then a 9mm, simple due to the bore size making it hard to capture the pressure behind the round effectively.

20. scret1122

scret1122 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've fired an AR15 with a suppressor and subsonic ammunition. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever heard. You hear nothing but the bullet "whizzing" though the air. If any of you have (I'm sure many of the guys have) ever lit a plastic bag on fire and let the burning plastic drip to the ground, the sound it makes is almost the same sound the bullet makes flying through the air. No snap, no pop, just a whiz. You will hear a slight snap as it hits the target of course.