XD Gun cleaning supplies

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by Oni, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Oni

Oni XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When addressing a friend's complaints about his inability to clean his pistols thoroughly enough I initially decided to first zip over to XD talk for suggestions before I got out and hunt down specific proaduct serial #s along with product names.
    (I hate reading the small print on solvent boxes/containers because at first letters of commaon words tend to look like numbers and vice versa Grr!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While silicone cloths are effective, well somewhat adequate for pistol cleaning, I'm planning on ordering the famous genuine microfiber rags I have heard much about with absolutely zero complaints reguarding their effectiveness and they do not damage, or harm the pistol in any way and hopefully I'll have some of these wonder cloths in my hands for my XDs in 5 days or so.

When it comes to cleaning rods which one is best? I have heard of copper and bronze brushed rods and seen them run about $5.00 to $6.00 at the cheapest L0L.

There are quite a few boresnakes out there and I've seen them run around $13.00 for the cheapies but initially, that turned me away and eventually, after some redundant, yet opulent, research that was very worthwhile, I stumbled upon hoppes boresnakes and cleaners which come highly suggested though I like to know what you guys think about them and other similar products so I can tell my friend and the cool guy in the lane next to me about them. ^.^

---------------

Suggestions are always welcome and I'm hoping to find the majority of the products online so they can be ordered directly to the purchaser's home(Thus this online query) instead of sending them on a Wal-Mart/ Gunsmith/Cabelas/Gander Mountatin wild goose chase. :lol:

2. Krackels

Krackels XDTalk 25K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    I actually prefer the nylon bore brushes as I know this won't scratch anything and I can run them through a few times to loosen any powder.

I normally use an Otis kit, but also sometimes a cheap rod from Walmart with nylon or brass brushes and blue wonder gun cleaner. Get's it clean as can be.

A cheap Bore snake is also great for those, I don't feel like cleaning it right now times.

3. MPSoldier

MPSoldier XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When it comes to gun cleaning, I'm sure there are enough products out there that talking about them all would fill up this thread in no time. I personally use BreakFree CLP to clean my gun and Militec-1 to lube. I keep it pretty simple. If I had to offer any suggestions, it would be investing in detail tools. So, with that said, here is a list of items that I have found invaluable in my cleaning kit, but may not immediately come to mind for a cleaning kit.

1. Dental pick. Whether using it to scrape carbon off, or using it to work a rag into a hard-to-reach crevice, it's invaluable.

2. Q-Tips. Like the dental pick, the Q-Tip will not only get into hard to reach areas, but the white cotton tip will let you know if the weapon truly is clean.

3. Pipe cleaners. Great crevice cleaners that you can shape to get into pesky out of reach areas. Make sure you get the cotton ones, not your-kid's-nylon-craft-project ones.

4. Auto detailing brushes. Can be found in any Wal-Mart. Usually comes in a 3-pack with one steel bristle, one brass bristle and one nylon bristle. DO NOT USE THE STEEL BRISTLE ON YOUR FIREARM. The other two are VERY useful.

5. An old toothbrush. All those fancy heads they have on toothbrushes nowadays aren't just for reaching the back teeth...

6. A soft bristle (not nylon) paint brush. The last word in applying just the right amount of lube (whatever you use) as a nice, even film that doesn't over coat your gun.

7. An old cotton T-Shirt rag. Enough said.

These are just a couple of the items you will find extremely useful in cleaning a gun, and most can be found around your house, or in a store close to you. Don't break the bank spending money on every expensive little toy you find to clean your gun. Keep it simple.

Also, learn your gun. How does it get dirty? Where does carbon build up more than elsewhere? What are hard to clean areas? You will find that over time, you can give your gun a thorough cleaning in a short amount of time.

4. 'Card

'Card XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. Blue Wonder on most of the metal surfaces and inside the barrel.
    2. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then wipe it off.
    3. CLP (Break-Free) on everything, then wipe it off with a rag, Q-tip and toothbrush.
    4. Lubricate moving parts and rails with light coat of RemOil.
    5. Blow it out with compressed gas.

As for inside the barrel, I run a copper brush through it, then Blue Wonder it, then run cotton rags through it with a rod until they come out clean, then do the same thing with some CLP and then leave it.

5. Plinkomatic

Plinkomatic XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Field strip and throw it in the dishwasher (without plates, of course).
    Afterwards, dunk the slide in 40weight.
    Done.

6. Delija

Delija XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    "MPSoldier" beat me to it.

All the cleaning supplies are good. After a while everyone decides for themselves what they like best.

The two "must haves" than don't come in a basic kit are a toothbrush and q-tips...

Peace,
    D.

7. jednp

jednp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Although it's not a cleaning supply, it's something that can be used when you have your gun apart for cleaning. A strong magnifying glass to inspect for any damage or cracks. Also I find those AA maglites with the fiber optic attatchment really handy too. Can get light down into places in the grip area and see if there's any crud you may have missed. Other than that I've switched to blue wonder products for cleaning. And as far as Q-tips go... get the actual Q-tip brand! While back home at my parents after shooting I cleaned my gun with the ones they had, and obviously they buy generic ones! The cotton just pulled apart and it was hard to clean. Q-tips stay together a lot better and don't leave near as many fibers as cheap ones do. Make sure to get the huge pack too, you'll use them up faster than you think if you shoot a lot!

8. CajunShooter

CajunShooter XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After much research, I bought Poly Dunk-it from Cylinder and Slide. Field strip the gun, then put it in the Poly Dunk-it bucket. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Take the parts out, give them a quick brush with a toothbrush, then dunk them in again and shake around a little. Finish off by blowing out with compressed air. The only other thing I do is run a boresnake through the barrel after the inital dunking. The product works very well and is very easy to use.

9. DJDan

DJDan XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like to pee down the loaded barrel of my pistols. The uric acid has an excellent cleaning effect on everything it touches. Be sure to wipe your face on the pistol after some "hot lovin'" to oil it down otherwise the uric acid may rust. If you want to go "all out" then be sure to "snot up" the locking block rails against the slide rails...you know what I'm talking about. Block one nostril, aim at slide and/or LB rail and blow hard through unblocked septum.

This will keep your XD in top A1 au natural conditiona. :)

Seriously....I have run one of my XD's 100% dry and dirty and have not had one problem yet. I won't say which one because I might sell it one day. 8) Any buyers?

Batman could lube my XD and it would work 100%

10. tec

tec XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    DJDan

thats just gross. :lol:

11. Delija

Delija XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    A comment on the micro-fiber cloths. I've been using them for years on my cars. I even have a micro-fiber the size of a bath towel for drying the car (pretty expensive). Yet I find no purpose for them in cleaning a gun. I prefer cotton rags from old t-shirts. I like to have one fairly well soaked in gun oil (I use Breakfree CLP) as a final "wipe". The micro fiber stuff is great on (for example) the dash of a car. It leaves no fibers behind. It doesn't fall apart like a paper towel, etc. (In fact, a good way of knowing what it's ideal for is any job a paper towel is useless for).

I also have some sponges that are covered with micro fiber (sewn on)..great for applying car wax. And I've have used them when applying polymer based car wax to the outside steel parts of of my gun...great stuff, but hard to find. I order Klasse "All-In -One" on line. It's made in Germany and not sold in any retail stores in the US. Just about every fanatic with an exotic or even nice car uses this stuff. (Use Google, easy to find on line...expensive, ~$30+ last I saw for a bottle, but last for many years). It's polymer based, so it's the same kind of plastic the XD frame is made of. It's like shrink wrapping your gun in polymer. My gun hasn't even rusted when I've gotten it drenched in salt water a few times (shooting out on a friend's boat).

I too use a dental pick and I have a large magnifying glass. Don't use either one regularly, but there are times when nothing will substitute. The only way I can really see what's going on inside the chamber of my Ruger MKII is with a lot of light and a magnifying glass.

Off brand Q-Tips??? Shame, shame, shame!!! You get what you pay for. The good ones are cheap enough. And yep, buy the large box.

I remembered something else I use only occasionally, but it does what nothing else can...the Lead Free (chemically treated) gun cloth. It will prove to you that no matter how clean you think your barrel is, it's still filthy. I'll run a patch of the stuff down my barrels once every few months. I also use it to remove the filth from around the muzzle of my stainless gun. Nothing else comes close. It takes black stains off the tip of my guide rod that won't come off with any amount of effort with the usual cleaners. Just be careful not to use it on blued surfaces....it will remove bluing. It's important to apply some kind of gun oil to surfaces that were cleaned with a lead free cloth...it really removes EVERYTHING!!!

I recently switched from patch holders to jags. Personal preference mainly. They do seem to do a better job, but maybe it's more that I like that they are easier to use (they do cost a little more). Less messy to work with, no need to touch oily and filthy patches. Downside I suppose is you will use more patches.

I use CLP, or Pro-Shot 3 in One, Kleene Bore 3 in 1, or any of the "CLP" type stuff. No real preference. Some smell nicer. MMC smells great. I got a one ounce sample with my Kel Tec. it is quite expensive (over $5 for one ounce!!!)..should smell nice, I've seen cheaper perfumes. LOL

For my slide rails I use Kellube M12 ..thicker than oils, not quite a grease. Recommended by Springfield, and comes in a bottle with an needle nosed applicator so it's easy to get where you want it, and virtually no waste. The bottle says it too cleans and prevents rust, but for me, I'm just using it as a lube.

As I said in the first post, everyone finds what they like. Pretty much all the products are good. Some better. The CLP I find great for cleaning but it seems to dry fairly quickly, so I don't prefer to use it as a lube on my slides (could be wrong since supposedly when it does dry it leaves a coating of Teflon ...or so I've been led to believe).

For new shooters, just start with a basic kit from Kleene-Bore. It has all the essentials and add from there as you find what you need. The kits include pretty much everything to get started and cost less than $10. I'v run out of everything that came in mine, except the bore rod and extension. But the reclosable hard plastic box is a lifetime keeper!!!

Peace,
    D.

12. AMBTX

AMBTX XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

LMAO Good one although Im not going to be doing that.