XD 9mm Sub-Compact W/LaserMax Guide Rod Laser "Problem"

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by livinglarge, Dec 24, 2008.

1. livinglarge

livinglarge XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a brand new XD Sub Compact 9mm and a brand new LaserMax Guide Rod laser.

I installed the laser, when I cock the gun and release the slide slowly... in a controlled fashion with my hand vs. full speed spring action with the lever... the slide stops about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch from being in position (the "cocked" indicator pin is flush with the back of the slide). Then I have to push it a little to go fully into position (not hard push, an easy push). It kind of clicks when I pop it fully into position. Then the indicator pin is out the back and the slide is flush with the front of the gun, everybody is happy etc.

It doesn't have this "problem" with the original guide rod and original springs.

If I cock it and flip the lever, and let it go full spring action, it is fine...

I hope I described this well, can anyone tell me if this is a problem or should I go put a few rounds through this dude. This gun has never been shot.

I'm new to guns, so I don't know much, if you can't tell. Although I learned alot when trying to pick out a CCW.

This was a Merry Christmas to me. :D

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. longtalltechsan

longtalltechsan XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I don't have any experience with the lasermax, but why would ride the slide slowly into battery and not let it go by itself as it is supposed to? You said it does fine when you let the spring do it right?

3. Rattlebars

Rattlebars XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Do you feel the same spring tension when you cycle the slide with the laser as you did with the "stock" guide springs?

Does Lasermax recommend oil? If so, lock the slide back and put a drop or two on the now exposed inner guide rod. Have you checked your slide for oil? If dry, give it a little help.

4. livinglarge

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    by "battery", do you mean into "ready" position? If so, I guess it's because I don't know much, I figured I should be easy on it. Is it the norm just to let 'er rip? Yeah, it works fine, when I let the spring do it's job. It's just that the lasermax instructions said... something like... "let it into position slow, then cycle it a couple times". So I cycled it a couple times slow... to make sure something drastic wasn't wrong. I never forced anything. Just to be safe.

btw, I like the quote in the signature.

5. livinglarge

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    laser max states their spring has a little less force than the stock spring, and they say no oil should be used period. I can't physically feel a difference between the stock spring and the laser max spring.