XD 45 tactical conversion to 460 rowland

Discussion in 'XD-45ACP Discussion Room' started by NormAK, Mar 2, 2012.

1. NormAK

NormAK XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm excited, tomorrow I take my freshly converted XD 460 Rowland to the range and see what 44 mag power feels like in an XD!

Attached Files:

2. lharrell79

lharrell79 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good luck. Not to be a party ******, but most people have had reliability issues with them. I truly hope yours works.

There's a fella by the name ancshooter. This is his quote:

"I have two WWG converted xd 45s with a variety of springs, barrels, mag springs, etc.... I Have spent a fair amount of time and ammo trying to get the guns to be 100% reliable to feed without success until now.

I recently tried running 2 mag springs to put as much pressure on the bullet nose as possible - no more FTFs regardless of how you hold the gun, what ammo you shoot, or what mainspring you run. I have settled on a +3 mag extension with the heavy spring in combination with the standard. Capacity is 13, although you can push the 14th in in you really want to. All of my ammo with all three barrels and up to 28 lb mainsprings have fed 100% in both guns. I'm sticking with the ported barrel and wolf 24# 1911 mainspring (using the 1911 spring conversion guide rod). Cases are only lightly dented and land 10-15 feet away.

On the downside, the mag is tougher to load and insert with the slide closed, and it is easier to accidentally release the mag if you put any pressure on the mag release while shooting or handling with a full mag.

YMMV, but it costs nothing to give it a go."

3. cce1302

cce1302 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm really interested in that conversion. It's a great idea and I hope it works!!

4. 4fifth

4fifth XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hm I never seen this before,tell us how it goes.

5. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
  6. NormAK

NormAK XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Range Report-

I put 50 rounds thru the 460 Rowland XD yesterday with 4 failure to feeds. Once I realized that I need to use a death grip on it there were no more FTF.

I'm an experienced shooter, and due to years of competitive powerlifting and bodybuilding I have plenty of strength. Not a 'Limp Wrist' shooter by any means. Having to squeeze the cr@p out of the grip is going to take some getting used to, not really sure if I'm willing to take the time to re-train and adjust my shooting style for this one pistol.

My reason for getting this caliber was so I would have another choice in trail protection when enjoying the backcountry here in Alaska. I already have 460V S&W X-Frame but figured it would be nice to have a lighter alternative for the winter months when all I really have to worry about are pissed off Moose (fairly common). With loads producing up to 970 ft lbs of energy I suppose the 460 Rowland would give me a better chance against a brown bear than I would have with a pointy stick, so I figured this gun would see plenty of carry time.

I guess I'll make a few more trips to the range before I make up my mind whether to keep it or not. I suppose if it comes to it I could always sell the 460 barrel and keep the XD since it IS a fine weapon in it's original form.

7. lharrell79

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you had the fails to feed, what happened? Did they nose dive?

8. NormAK

NormAK XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually the only one I clearly remember examining before clearing it was a stovepipe, nose up.

All the brass I recovered have a strange indentation about 1/4" down from the mouth of the cartridge for some reason.

9. lharrell79

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Stovepipes are indicative of limpwristing, so you may be right in needing to put a death grip on it. What all did the kit come with? Barrel, guide rod, recoil spring, etc? Does it have multiple springs? If the recoil spring is too heavy, that could also cause a stovepipe.

I'd say before you give up on it, you need to do several things. Mark your magazines: #1, #2, #3. Use all three mags, and put a couple hundred rounds through the pistol. Keep a note pad with you. Everytime you have a failure, note what magazine it was, and what type of failure. Try to determine what actually happened. Stovepipes are easy. It didn't clear the ejection port. If you have a fail to feed, try to determine why. The bullet nose dived, it got hung up on the feed ramp, etc.

I know the 460 Rowland isn't cheap. Personally, I wouldn't own one unless I reloaded for it, or knew someone who could. If it's going to protect you on the trail, it needs to be reliable 99.9% of the time. The only way to determine if it's going to be reliable is to put a bunch of rounds through it. Have fun, and keep us updated on your next range report.

10. RandD

RandD XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am in the process of building up a 460 Rowland from my XD45 Tactical. I bought high power mag springs, a tungsten guide rod and the Rowland kit (plus a bunch of other parts while I was at it). Based on the information I could find, the compensated barrel performs better than the ported barrel and they both perform better than an unported barrel. Consequently I bought the compensated barrel. However I live in CA and as a result I need to somehow be certain that the barrel cannot be considered 'threaded' before I place the slide and barrel on the frame. Rowland provides Loctite and a set screw, but from what I have read, that probably won't fly. For my solution, I am considering:

1) Welding on a thread protector and turning it down so it will fit through the slide.
    2) Machining out the compensator so that it will slide over the thread protector.
    3) Place a pair of pins through the compensator that will also engage the thread protector and barrel to the dept of the original barrel threads.

This is the best way I can think of to have a compensated barrel in CA that will still allow me to remove the barrel from the slide. Has anyone come up with something else / better? Does anyone see any problems with my solution?

11. RichardS

RichardS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like a pain to deal with... Another possibility might be exchange for a non threaded barrel, or a longer threaded barrel and have the threaded portion cut off and then recrown it.

Then have the comp drilled and reamed to be a very tight fit on the barrel and mill a small flat or dimple on the barrel for a set screw threaded through the side of the comp.

Or mill the barrel and drill the comp for a through pin like used to hold the front sight post on an AR. This would be more secure but take more time to remove.

That said, what is the real law in CA? Just no threads? Or is it no muzzle devices that are removable? If the latter then my idea is no good. Yours may not be either, I would seek documentation that proves pinned is OK and not considered removable.

12. RandD

RandD XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I called CA DOJ and asked them. They were very nice. They understood completely why I didn't want to heat up the barrel. They indicated that permanent Loctite was probably OK and that pinning the barrel to the threads was also probably OK. My conjecture is that there hasn't been a court case associated with this and since there is no explicit precedent, the actual ruling as to what constitutes "permanently attached" as regards to a compensator could be open to interpretation. DOJ recommended that I contact local law enforcement fo some additional info...so I did.

Local law enforcement was also very helpful. His first statement was that a threaded barrel on a pistol with a detachable magazine made the pistol and illegal assault weapon. He went on to say that there are many private citizens and LEOs who own weapons with threaded barrels and have screw on compensators attached. His opinion was that if you don't own a suppressor, you are probably OK (ie permanent confiscation was unlikely) and you probably wouldn't be hassled for having a compensator attached. This particular individual felt that intent was important. That having been said, he indicated that permanent attachment methods should be used. I listed several and he indicated that both permanent (Red) Loctite on the barrel and set screw was considered OK. He also indicated that a pin which locks the compensator to the barrel was also OK. Since I want to be able to disassemble my XD without heat, I am going with a roll-pin and blue loctite on the set screw. It should be noted that he thought the best solution was a ported barrel instead of a compensatorÂ… That having been said the added effectiveness of the compensator over the ported barrel makes it worthwhile for me to invest in the necessary machining.

In my opinion, regardless of what anyone may say, in CA I would not assemble a weapon that has a threaded barrel unless there was either a thread protector or compensator that could be argued to be "permanently attached".

13. RandD

RandD XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not wanting to go the locktite route (which requires heating the barrel to remove the compensator) I spoke with CA DoJ and end up getting a machine shop to modify the compensator and barrel so that the compensator could be pinned to the barrel. It worked pretty well. So far I have only shot 45 ACP through the conversion....I hope to run some 460 rounds through it RSN.

14. KrisDSA

KrisDSA XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any pics

15. AKhog01

AKhog01 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My XD-460 has a DPM recoil reduction kit with the heavier of the two springs it comes with and I also use AGP extra strength springs in my magazines.

Attached Files: